:( need guidance

Options
i know it's a well known fact on MFP that you need to eat your reccomended daily calorie count, but i feel like if i do, i'll be eating toooo much. the amount i eat now is around 500 calories less than what i'm 'supposed to' and im scared to fill them out. it just feels like i'll put weighttttttttttt if i eat just to get to that amount... i guess the reason i was putting on weight before MFP was the food that i ate.. and not the amount. Now i've changed the food i eat, it doesnt reach 1500 cals :( don't know what to do for the best! will i not be able to lose weight if i carry on eating my normal amount which normal reaches around 1100?

Replies

• gomidas2007
    gomidas2007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I know it's kind of a lot to read, but if you ctrl+f you can search for whatever you re looking for. Lots of information!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/673373-fat-loss-guide

Hope it helps =)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    i know it's a well known fact on MFP that you need to eat your reccomended daily calorie count, but i feel like if i do, i'll be eating toooo much. the amount i eat now is around 500 calories less than what i'm 'supposed to' and im scared to fill them out. it just feels like i'll put weighttttttttttt if i eat just to get to that amount... i guess the reason i was putting on weight before MFP was the food that i ate.. and not the amount. Now i've changed the food i eat, it doesnt reach 1500 cals :( don't know what to do for the best! will i not be able to lose weight if i carry on eating my normal amount which normal reaches around 1100?

How long have you been restricting calories to try and lose weight? When you say that your "normal" amount of calories is 1100, how long has that been your norm? When you go in to a higher then recommended deficit, you're losing a lower percentage of fat- in the 800-1200 cal range, the fat loss percentage is 75% compared to 90% fat loss in the 1200-1500 calorie range (Nieman, 1990 Fitness and Sports Medicine)- so essentially, while you may lose total weight at lower calories, you're losing a bigger percentage of your muscle mass. Those numbers obviously vary based on the person's body composition, size and any number of other factors that contribute to BMR, but as an example they should give you a pretty good picture of why you should eat a bit more.
  • emg9
    emg9 Posts: 112
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks. I'ts been my norm for that time but ive had up and down days, for instance last week i had 2 days where the calorie counting went out the window while i was away. that wasnt planned though :( i'm back on track now though and feeling motivated. ah okay i see what you mean. i guess i'll try and up them, still feels like quite a scary task :(
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    As long as you're in a deficit from your TDEE- which is Total Daily Energy Expenditure, a.k.a. the calories required to maintain your current weight, you won't gain weight. When you chose your desired weight loss, MFP already figures in a deficit of 500 calories/day per pound of desired weight loss per week- so you'll still be in a deficit. Barring any medical issues, you will lose weight at the deficit MFP gives you- you don't need to go lower than that number. Hope that helps!
  • emg9
    Options
    oh right okay! so is the TDEE the number that is given to you as your 'daily goal'? or isthe daily goal worked out after, when weight loss amounts are considered?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    oh right okay! so is the TDEE the number that is given to you as your 'daily goal'? or isthe daily goal worked out after, when weight loss amounts are considered?

Daily goal has weight loss already figured in.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a minimum of 1200, what you do after that is up for debate.
  • emg9
    Options
    ohhh cool thanks! i feel more motivated now i have a bit more knowledge :~)