Measuring food

Options
Do you actually measure everything or guess?

I'm speaking specifically about meats ... I measure anything that can be measured properly with a cup or spoon measurement but I have no idea how much my chicken breasts weighs in oz for example ...

Do you have a food scale?

Replies

• cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I try and prepare meals the night before so I'm able to weigh everything out. I do have a scale that I got off of groupon and it has different settings like ounces and grams. It helps me realize how much I'm eating of everything and where I need to modify in terms of portions.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale for EVERYTHING!! I love it!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Nothing can be measured correctly with a cup or a spoon.

That's why we have scales.
  • ElderMae
    ElderMae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm usually try to put everything on the scale but sometimes just eyeball it. For meat I like to weigh it out because my idea of a serving and the reality of a serving haven't quite lined up yet :)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything!!
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    I just got a food scale (they're not that expensive). My question is: Do I measure my meat raw or cooked? A 5oz steak raw ends up being a lot less once it's cooked.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i would rather weigh my stuff.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

Sorry for my ignorance but if I'm having a cup of milk, can I not just measure it in a cup?
    Or a tsp of peanut butter etc?
  • missashley884
    Options
    I just got a food scale (they're not that expensive). My question is: Do I measure my meat raw or cooked? A 5oz steak raw ends up being a lot less once it's cooked.

i usually weigh it raw
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale for anything calorie dense or easy to weight. Meat, fruit, grains, nuts, yogurt, etc. LOVE my food scale and I probably use it ten times a day or more. The only foods I don't use it with are liquids (measuring cup instead), greens like spinach or lettuce (too few calories for me to care about a gram here or there), and things like bread where the calorie count is per slice. Though fun fact: bread often weighs more than it ought to so you're consuming more calories than you think. I just don't care enough to weigh and do the math :)
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

Great question! I'd like to hear the answer to that too ...
  • missashley884
    Options

Sorry for my ignorance but if I'm having a cup of milk, can I not just measure it in a cup?

lol liquids i would say are ok to measure, because they have the same density, as for the other stuff, weigh!
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yip! I weigh everything I can. Fruit, veg, cheese, meat, cereal, nuts practically everything. It's been a real eye opener particularly baking potatoes!!!!!!
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i use my scale for as much as i can...what a serving is and what i want a serving to be often differs,,,this way i know for sure
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything~ to the gram or ounce! and had much better success since starting to do so. I don't care if it is pretzels, chicken, steak, peas, etc...everything gets weighed.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

Liquids are typically measured in a measuring cup and the calories are determined by milliliters, not grams/ounces. Therefore, yes - use the measuring cup for liquids. It's pretty rare for a nutrition label to list info for liquid in grams.

For peanut butter, I use a scale.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i use a flat digital food scale and i measure everything. that scale helps me tremendously! they aren't expensive....i think i paid $25
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I estimate the weight of meat based on how much I prepare and what portion of the prepared meat I eat. So, If I cook a one pound package of chicken and I eat 1/4 of it, I enter 4 ounces of chicken in my diary.
  • crystal_darling
    crystal_darling Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually guess based on what the meat deparment put on it. For example yestarday I bought 2 chicken breasts and they were a little over a pound, I ate one and my bf ate one. Since there are 16 ounces in a pound I cut it in half, so 8, and added a few more ounces just incase.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

Meat labels are usually for the raw weight. If you're using the MFP database, just choose the database item that matches the state of your meat.

I most always weigh my meat raw, so I search for "chicken breast raw" and use the entry for that.

I sometimes forget to weigh it raw, so then I search for "chicken breast cooked" and use that entry. However, I don't think that's as accurate. If you cook the *kitten* out of chicken, it's going to weigh less than a moist, perfectly cooked piece of chicken but the calorie count won't change.