Expressions you hate..

Options

Replies

• jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    "Roll Tide" or "RTR" or as the majority of the ones that say it with a Marlboro hanging from their mouth: "Rawl Tahd"

Makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

The over use of "actually" is actually very annoying as well.

yes yes yes! my friend's husband says this ALL the time. "that's ACTUALLY really funny." "hah that's ACTUALLY true." no joke. that's why i said it.
  • Kona2014
    Kona2014 Posts: 38
    Options
    Oh, I could go on for hours and hours.

Do not "ax" questions, ASK them.

Do not "pacifically" describe something (unless it's the ocean, ha), SPECIFICALLY describe it.

Do not order "expresso", what is that, fast coffee? It's ESPRESSO.

You do not "loose" weight, you LOSE it. "Loose" is the opposite of tight.

What the hell is "my bad"? When did "bad" become a noun?

Also, DO NOT ABUSE APOSTROPHES!!! What did they ever do to you?

EDIT: Oh, we can't forget "irregardless". People! That is not a word! It's REGARDLESS.

^These
  • jran3
    Options
    Oh, I could go on for hours and hours.

Do not "ax" questions, ASK them.

Do not "pacifically" describe something (unless it's the ocean, ha), SPECIFICALLY describe it.

Do not order "expresso", what is that, fast coffee? It's ESPRESSO.

You do not "loose" weight, you LOSE it. "Loose" is the opposite of tight.

What the hell is "my bad"? When did "bad" become a noun?

Also, DO NOT ABUSE APOSTROPHES!!! What did they ever do to you?

EDIT: Oh, we can't forget "irregardless". People! That is not a word! It's REGARDLESS.

^These

I hate that too!

"Physical Year" no, it's Fiscal Year

"Ying Yang" no it's Yin Yang

"tough road to hoe" When did anybody ever hoe a road, you hoe a row in a crop field

"I'm under the influence that..." You're drunk? No, you're under the impression.

I'm certain there are many more I just can't think of!
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    when im pumping gas and some assbag says "workin hard or hardly workin" and im like, sweating. booooooooo
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    "I could care less" when they obviously mean "I COULD'NT care less."

I could care less is the right way to say that though.

If you say "I couldn't care less"...it's a double negative making you actually care.

Actually, no... "I couldn't care less" means that you could not possibly care any less. "I COULD care less" means that you actually care more than the minimum you could possibly care. While "less" is considered a negative, grammatically, "I couldn't care less" is an acceptable double negative in the English language. Double negatives aren't universally considered incorrect. Also, while it is sometimes argued that "I could care less" is spoken sarcastically, I have yet to come across a person in my life who seems to be intentionally using it in this manner. See here: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/could-couldnt-care-less.aspx, and here: http://painintheenglish.com/case/60/, and here: http://thegrammarvandal.wordpress.com/2007/09/05/i-couldnt-care-less-correct/, One more for good measure: http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/questions-and-quandaries/grammar/i-could-care-less-or-i-couldnt-care-less
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If I hear "It is what it is" one more time I will burst...I was at the store today and someone next to me said it....I think I bit my knuckles!!! My apologies to frequent users of this expression...but...I - just - can't - stand it..

what do you got?

it is what it is is by far the stupidest and most annoying statement of all time
  • jran3
    Options
    Misuse/abuse of the word "had" as in: "We had went"
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yolo
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    If I hear "It is what it is" one more time I will burst...I was at the store today and someone next to me said it....I think I bit my knuckles!!! My apologies to frequent users of this expression...but...I - just - can't - stand it..

what do you got?

I ABSOLUTELY HATTTTEEEE THAT PHRASE!!!
  • jran3
    Options

what do you got?

it is what it is is by far the stupidest and most annoying statement of all time

Thank Nick Saban for making that the popular phrase it is, and yeah, it's stupid.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    What the heck is yolo?
  • rexzmumu
    rexzmumu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    FML - it bothers me because if you didn't have your life, you would be dead, right? you cant have someone elses life. do you really want the alternative? no, i didnt think so.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    No offense to anyone that says it, but I hate when people say 'Praying for you.' or, 'Everything happens for a reason'.

Also, 'YOLO'.

:mad:
    Isn't yolo some sort of candy?

I also love in business how people love to toss around percentages...like someone can actually quantify the amount they are sure of something...
  • tulip71
    tulip71 Posts: 1
    Options
    'it ticks the boxes' and 'it works' - much heard in house hunting programmes and very annoying! Houses don't tick boxes and they don't work either!
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My roommate in college, her favorite expression was "*kitten* me hard with chain saw!" That's a little much. Oh and another one I can't stand is "rode hard, put away wet." Ick. What does that even mean???
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    I usually say "it is what it is" at work when my coworkers are babbling to me about their problems. It usually works. I'll stick with it. Sorry, guys. :P
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    "actually..." (said in a snotty way) when they're correcting you, like what they're about to say is superior to what you've just said...
    "just saying..." (loathe that one)
    "just so you know... " (not a favorite either)
    Never ever listen to me talk...ever. Or my son, who has picked up every one of these habits.
  • lisalis626
    lisalis626 Posts: 26
    Options
    'Just sayin'

Whhhyyy did this catch on?!?! Please stop.
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What the heck is yolo?

Short for You only live once.