How do people cope on 1200 calories p/d?!

Options

Replies

• cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    After all these years I'm finally losing weight (and not hungry) b/c I've finally figured this out. There's no one size fits all, but I really believe that this is the key. I do go over 1200 cal not b/c I'm hungry but b/c I'm a glutton and still want to eat my cookies. But it's not out of hunger.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do 1200...its not that difficult 250 for breakfast...400 for lunch...150 for snack and 400 for dinner.
    Breakfast is normally 2 eggs and 1/2 an aidelles pineapple bacon chicken sausage (yes its amazing),
    Lunch - Salad or sandwich and veggies
    Snack - Greek yogurt
    Dinner - lean meat and 2 servings of veggies
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Lots and lots of green stuff. Raw veggies, steamed veggies, lean meats, cheese made with skim milk, and forget the breads. Eat wraps (use low fat mayo and / or use salsa)
    You can eat good sized portions if you cut back on the size of carb portions and raise the veggie ones.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There is no way on this earth that I could survive on 1200 cals per day!!

I have breakfast (usually a couple of eggs and toast or low fat yoghurt with fruit and some muesli) at 7.15am and I am starving again by 10am - I'll then have a snack (low fat hummus with about 100g of veggies to dip in), then am starving again by 12noon so have my lunch (typically a large salad with some protein - chicken, low fat cottage cheese, eggs etc and sometimes a small portion of carbs and a low fat yoghurt) then I am starving again by 4pm so have a cereal bar and an apple which will last me until I have done a workout in the evening and then finally dinner.......sometimes I need a larger snack in the afternoon. I NET about 1400 per day which is my BMR. I am generally eating around 1700-1800 per day. 1200 isn't sustainable in the long run..........
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    You guys are inspiring me :-)

But what do I do for tomorrow. I've already logged my breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have about 324 calories that I've logged but have already eaten (got given a cupcake for my birthday on Monday. Didn't know the calories so just guessed and spread it over four days. And the doritos are what I ate in desperation about an hour or so ago).

So tomorrow, I have about 254 calories left.

I'm thinking, maybe I'm getting to the point where I need to exercise some to earn some calories. And I think I'll buy some mixed veg ...
  • stlceecee
    stlceecee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have 1200 cal /day and normally do well. You can do it!!! Keep at it, youve come to far to stop now!! DONT GIVE UP!!!
  • kmpgdog23
    kmpgdog23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nobody should be eating only 1200 calories a day! It may work in the beginning, but over time will slow the metabolism & actually make a person store fat! If you are eating the proper way, than you can eat up to 1800 calories a day and still lose. The main key to that is exercise! I have done figure competitions and can bring myself from 17% bodyfat to 8% with a diet of 1500 - 1800 calories made up of the right macronutrients!
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    OH Yeah... I forgot... DRINK WATER! It helps with cravings and getting rid of toxins.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Exercise n you earn more :) I eat quite a bit per day, (sometimes not so good choices) but I earn the calories I eat.

I hate the gym, feel too tired/depressed to get out of the house apart from for work. It's so bad. I need to push myself again. I'm reaching the hard part now. I'm nearly there, so I need to work harder.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I'm just getting started, but I definitely have to echo drinking PLENTY of water! Drink water before a meal and between them to start out a little fuller (and processing everything efficiently), then make sure you are getting lean protein (tofu can be VERY tasty!). Also, EXERCISE, go for an extra walk or hit the gym, whatever it takes to earn a few extra calories back :) Watch out for extra sugars (even in fruit), I am learning they are pure evil and I have a killer sweet tooth : )

I have tofu in my fridge! Need to get around to cooking it but not sure where to start :/
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Exercise is always a good idea, and the days that I DO go over and hit 1400 or even 1600....those are days I have some "earned" calories. :)

Also, I waste almost zero calories on beverages. I drink black coffee with no sugar and water all day, every day. (with the occasional exception like the Corona I've already logged because I'm going out with a friend tonight) lol
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I have 1200 cal /day and normally do well. You can do it!!! Keep at it, youve come to far to stop now!! DONT GIVE UP!!!

Thank you. I need to hear this. Every day, I feel more and more hopeless. About everything. I need to pick myself up and remind myself how far I've come, and how far I will go.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    OH Yeah... I forgot... DRINK WATER! It helps with cravings and getting rid of toxins.

Water. Yeah, about that. Ugh, I do not drink nearly enough. I can never remember, and when I do, it makes me pee too much.

Need. To. Drink. Water.

In fact, I'm thirsty now, but if it wasn't for this thread, I'd probably go to bed without even drinking any water.
  • zummy123
    zummy123 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just had a look at a few days of your diet and your eating far too much sugar which will make you hungry. Ditch the low fat for full fat and eat a lot more fruit and veg and home made foods. A lot of what you eat is also high in salt that you need to reduce.

FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT

SUGAR MAKES YOU FAT.

if you do a little exercise each day you can eat more preventing you from getting hungry.

Sadly your diet does not seem to be very nutritionally sound. You need more vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies also nuts should not be your only source of protein, you just variety.

Goos luck.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You can eat on 1200 a day, I did it last year, but found it was not sustainable with the amount of foods I had to restrict myself. Thus, I moved up to 1500 recently after gaining it all back. So far, it is easier for me to stay within my calories and work on losing it rather than feel like I'm always worrying about my food and how I will stay under calories. That's what I prefer.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Exercise is always a good idea, and the days that I DO go over and hit 1400 or even 1600....those are days I have some "earned" calories. :)

Also, I waste almost zero calories on beverages. I drink black coffee with no sugar and water all day, every day. (with the occasional exception like the Corona I've already logged because I'm going out with a friend tonight) lol

Yes, the wasted calories on beverages. Ugh, I was doing so well with that. I work at Starbucks so it was a real struggle for me to avoid getting drinks on my breaks/before/after my shifts. I feel obligated to get one every time. I managed to go a while not getting any, or just getting a tea, but I'm slipping a bit. I also find I need to have a coffee before my opening shifts. I hate the taste of coffee to tend to get syrup in it to sweeten it up. I will have to just stick with a double espresso downed before my tastebuds can protest ;)

We have a new drink that is only 53 calories in a tall, so I guess that can be my treat if my diary permits.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein to make you feel full, low carbs (<40%) and don't worry about fat.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am still losing @ 1800 calories a day btw, so you don't HAVE to eat 1200 to lose =)

^
    This! I actually eat a bit more than that, maybe 1,900 or so and still lose.
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. (I think a few of us have.) Here are my recommendations:

1. Cut down on the Starbuck's coffee and snacks.
    2. Either learn to cook (if you don't know how) or start cooking for yourself or go to the store and get the low calorie prepackaged meals to make it fast and easy to feed yourself without all the "naughty" foods.
    3. Add some exercise into your routine. Even a 30 minute walk at 3.0 mph would do you wonders.
    4. Eat more veggies!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long on 1200-1400 a day. I just eat fruits, vegetables, salad with or without chicken, low fat/low cal dressings, I eat almonds, raisins, mixed nuts, fish, popcorn, just stuff that tastes good and is healthy. It also helps that I don't get bored with eating the same things daily lol. And I'll never deny myself a snack if I'm craving one, I'll just have a little snack, like low fat frozen yogurt.

How do you manage to eat nuts? I love nuts but just 30g of almonds is like 200 calories :/
    Blue Diamond 100 calorie pack almonds, 1/4 of a medium sized bag of Wonderful pistachios for 160 cals, and 1 box of Sunmaid raisins for 90 cals. I make my own trail mix too! Fills me up no problem!