THE answers to THE questions

Replies

• TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Bump!
  • Hi:

Thank you so much for the information. I have a very hard time eating my daily total net calories. I started "dieting" 1 month ago and I already lost 20 pounds (I have been a member for 7 days) and even when before I used to eat around 2,500 or more a day, now I feel like I am betraying myself if I eat more than 1,000 a day. Can you give me some ideas of healthy snacks I could eat to reach at least 1,200 calories.

Thank you again.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    A small handful of nuts will give you 200 calories, and some fat (needed in your diet). Also, consider a glass of milk or a protein shake.

All of those things will up your calories without a lot of quantity.
    HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • justforme8
    justforme8 Posts: 68 Member
    **BUMP BUMP BUMP**
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    I'll help bump it!
    Good info!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    bump!!!
  • thank u so much.I went over my 1200 calories today and felt bad for doing so. BMR is 1500 so not so bad.. Thanks again for the info.
  • I really appreciate the tip about eating your exercise calories. This makes sense. At first I felt like I could just spare myself the time, stick to my calorie limit and leave it at that. But deep down, I think we all know better. Exercise not only burns calories while we are doing it, but for hours later, not to mention the extra calories that muscle tissue burns. In fact, exercise provides a how list of benefits from improved skin, to energy to those wonderful endorphins. Lets face it, if we feel better and more energetic, we are much less likely to indulge in junk that should not be going into our bodies.

So although I kind of already knew the answer, reading your post just settled it for me.
  • tractor
    tractor Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you so much! This post answered all my questions/concerns which have been keeping me up all night searching for some kind of answer. This makes so much sense. I lost 10lbs since I started working out last month, but the last two weeks, nothing is happening. I was beginning to get frustrated and even started working out more and burning more calories and eating less. Hopefully I will start losing lbs again.

Thank you MFP, youre my new bff! :P
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    very informative thanks im not takin diet pills no more if they dont work waste of money and i will start trustin the tape and my clothes as weight loss scales are not moving much for me :flowerforyou: do u have to eat the calories u have lost through excercise ????
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    its ok the question i asked has been answered oooops sorry thanks :flowerforyou:
  • loritas
    loritas Posts: 51
    bump
  • Eliaheart
    Eliaheart Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks for all this info - SO useful!!! :D
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    BRAVO! This was so well written. Helped me much. Gracias!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    This is probably a stupid question but I am just wondering and want to be sure. SO when I work out, the calories I burn...I need to eat back?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    This is probably a stupid question but I am just wondering and want to be sure. SO when I work out, the calories I burn...I need to eat back?

Yes! thx. HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    BUMP-itty BUMP BUMP BUMP! :bigsmile:

Sticky-quality post, here. It's SO simple: give your body the fuel it needs and you will burn fat at a regular and healthy rate (aka "weight loss"). Give your body less than what it needs and it will start storing fat like a Central Park squirrel at an abandoned roasted nut cart (aka "starvation mode").
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    BBUUUUUUMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Ok, Ok, I promise to wear it on a string around my neck, but I need one thing clarified. I have read the first 4 pages of this thread, and then the last 4 pages, so the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Sorry if you are all repeating htis for the gazillionth time. But i have counted calories and successfully lost weight in the past. I have been counting calories, exercising, and drinking half my weight in water for the past 3 weeks...and the weight is not budging.
    I have read you all say "eat back your calories" and "dont eat below your BMR" (i followed your instructions and went to Tools and then calculated my BMR.
    Here is my issue. My BMR on MFP says 1570 cals. But WHY, then, would MFP set my daily caloric needs as 1200? If my body (large frame, 5'10") needs 1570 cals to lay in bed all day, then, as I understand it, eating only 1200 calories each day would quickly put me in starvation mode.
    I eat back my exercise calories and dont eat empty calories very often. I only drink water (and wine on the weekends in moderation).

MFP tells me to eat 1200 cals a day (before exercise) in order to lsoe 1 lb per week.
    This thread tells me to "NEVER eat below" 1570 (my BMR).

Who is accurate? I would gladly change my daily goal to 1570 if that will re-energize my metabolism and kick start this weight loss. Thank you, and I look forward to any responses....I need to know what to write on the paper I will string around my neck :)
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Bump...anyone?