5'3" weight goal

Options

Replies

• Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3ins and the lightest I have been in my adult life was 139lbs but with a big frame, even my doctor thought I looked a bit scrawny. When I say a big frame, I've often been told I look like a rugby player (Dads genes, unfortunately, for frame size but Mum's genes with regard to height; Dad was 6'3" and Mum was 5'0" but then, you can't choose your parents!).

I'm comfortable in the 140 - 147 range, which is at the higher end of the BMI but still comes in at 147 as something like 25.8. I don''t trust BMI, as research shows that it isn't very accurate but it is a good starting point. I have a l-o-n-g way to go at present but I am hopeful that i will lose all but the last few pounds in the next 18 months or so, just in time for my 60th birthday!

The important thing is not to be a slave to the scale - by all means go below 140 if you have a smaller frame than me but don't go for the skeletal look. You won't feel healthy and strong, and you will look scrawny and unwell.

Use common sense but also take medical advice.
  • hmc4
    hmc4 Posts: 27
    Options
    5'3 on the nose here with 100.6 lbs of lean mass (results from bodpod test) so with that information, I am aiming for body fat of 24-25% so ...
    My goal is between 124 and 128. Last time I weighed 128 (also the last time I told the truth on my driver's license) was pre-kids. I was not fit, I did not work out - so in all reality I could get to 138 and be completely happy. The real thing is I want to look good in and out of my clothes.
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch shorter and aiming for the cutoff point on the BMI chart that takes you from 'overweight' to 'normal'. So I'm working towards 135 as a goal. After that, I'll probably get a fancy body composition screening (dexascan I think) and then reassess as needed.
  • hungergames201213
    Options
    thanks everyone. thank you whoever suggested the body frame website. they suggested me as medium. i have never been skinn so i am at one of my thinnest times. add me so we can support each other. what should my goal be?
  • ddlatham
    ddlatham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree - my doctor said with my medium frame 130 lbs. is a good weight. Good luck!
  • hungergames201213
    Options
    so i should not lose weight and reach my goal of 105?
  • Lisa_is_Fit
    Options
    Being fit is a better indicator of health than weight. You could have someone that is 130lbs and out of shape with too much fat on their body. On the other hand, one could be fit and muscluar at 130lbs and look great. Muscle weighs more than fat and looks better too!
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 113 pounds now, and I still have quite a bit of flab to lose. I am trying to also gain muscle though so I don't really have a weight loss goal, as I am hoping fat weight loss will be offset by muscle weight gain. I am guessing I am around 21-22% body fat and I'd like to be around 17%. I think 105-108 is probably where I'd like to end up.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", fairly large boned and am about a C cup. At my most fit (around age 26), I weighed 117 but I was very muscular so looked more like I weighed 105. Your body composition has SO much to do with your weight. The more muscular you are the smaller you're going to be at the same weight. I'm not nearly that muscular now and currently weigh 127. My goal weight is anywhere between 120 and 130 (since I fluctuate wildly from day to day).
  • prawnie1975
    Options
    im 5ft 3 but if i got down to 105 when i was ill years ago with colitus and that weight just did not suit me one bit , im big boned and looked ill
  • perestroika1
    perestroika1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3"..and have been much thinner in the past. My goal is to be around 135. At that point I was still curvy but was wearing about a size 6 or 7 (plus my bra size was a cup smaller...that day will come!) It's different for everyone, but I am rather bottom heavy (years of skating) so i carry a lot of my weight in my legs.
  • fatfighter1979
    fatfighter1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im 5.3 and am 122 was aiming for 112 hoping to do this in 9 weeks ready for hols x
  • linzoz
    linzoz Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been reading up and the BMI is a joke anyhow.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    [
    I was 214 pounds and 5' 3.5" when I started my journey and I wanted 170 at first... then it went to 160, and now I am aiming for 147 - 150. I am currently staying around 153- 151. and am working on getting it to 147 - 150 to maintain. That still classifies me as "overweight" to BMI but I am going more on my feel and clothes :wink:

This ^^
  • perestroika1
    perestroika1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    agreed. It doesn't take into account the massively awesome muscles that some of us have! ;) They should make a modified BMI where you can add in muscular calulations as well!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 1/2", and my goal weight is 150, which technically will still land me in the overweight range, but since I haven't weighed that since I was 13 years old, at this point I am perfectly OK with that, and if I can get down to that, I may re-evaluate. :)
  • jameyjam
    jameyjam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and the goal I'm setting for myself is a healthy and lean 125. I've definitely been lower than that but I've never been lean and with muscle. I didn't realize it but I was "skinny fat". Now I'm more focused on bf % and not the number on the scale. That said, when I used the goal weight calculator based on body fat % of 22 (my goal) it spit out 125 as my target weight.
  • brookehutcheson28
    brookehutcheson28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Having a goal of 105 may be reaching a little high. I am 24, and around the same height as you with a medium frame, so it sounds like we are close to the same size. I lost a lot of weight in high school and even in the low 120's I looked sickly and scrawny. When I was in the 140's was probably when I looked the healthiest...without being more fluffy like I am now! :)

The most important thing is to be healthy. Its ok to have a specific number or size in mind, but don't fixate on it or it will consume you! I've found that when I fixate on a specific number, I get so obsessive about it that its actually harder for me to lose, and my progress seems to slow. When I just focus on overall health and wellness, the weight seems to just fall right off week by week!

As I said before, its always a good idea to involve your doctor in the process. Have follow-up visits periodically so that he can help you track progress and gage your goals from a medical standpoint. I am a nurse, so I am all about making sure that docs are aving some input in my weight loss journey...its also nice when your doctor tells you what a great job you're doing! :)

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    After my triathlon, I might go down to 108lbs.

Currently 112lbs.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump