Can someone PLEASE DUMB it down for me!

Options

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No I listen to science. I am a majoring in biochemistry. I lost over 100lbs, and i took the NASM CPT (National Academy OF Sports medicine Certified Personal Trainer) and i see you spreading rumors.

I eat from 1,700-2,300 calories a day, with a Lean body mass of 210lbs. According to you i am anorexic.

And what is your BMR? Nice major by the way, simply obtaining one does not make you right on all topics remotely close to it. Also worth noting this subject is NOT your field.

And a lean body mass of 210 is all fine and dandy. What about overall weight?

You are actively promoting anorexia on the forums, against the forum rules.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I even changed my settings from lightly active, to active ( I exercise 5-6 days a week) and it still has my calorie goals at 1410.
    It's up to you but this is not how MFP is set up. The site wants to know how active you are NOT INCLUDING EXERCISE, then you eat back the calories from any exercise you do.

Yes! and stop overcomplicating a simple issue. Set your MFP to sedentary lifestyle then eat back your cals and see how that works for a few weeks and tweak it from there. What MFP sets is only guidelines, not religion b/c every single person on here is different. Weight loss isn't rocket science. When I lost my weight many moons ago I didn't even count calories!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've read through this thread a few times and I still can't determine the answer to what I think is a big part of the original poster's question: why would MFP set a calorie goal less than your BMR?

Exactly lol
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Try this... Move more, eat less. Track it all. :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I've read through this thread a few times and I still can't determine the answer to what I think is a big part of the original poster's question: why would MFP set a calorie goal less than your BMR?

Simple answer, who cares? Are you losing weight in a safe manner? If so keep doing what you're doing, if you're not, change it. Why even obsesses about TDEE, BMR, exercise calories. etc.

Most people have 1 goal, LOSE WEIGHT focus on that. (as i said already in a safe and healthy manner)

This is exactly my point! I want to do it in a healthy way. I am worried that by sticking to 1200 cals a day is depriving my body of the 1600 it needs. That is the only reason I care about the TDEE and the BMR. My goal is to lose weight. Yes. But not by denying it what it needs. Hence, the reason I am trying to find out what it NEEDS.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    This is exactly my point! I want to do it in a healthy way. I am worried that by sticking to 1200 cals a day is depriving my body of the 1600 it needs. That is the only reason I care about the TDEE and the BMR. My goal is to lose weight. Yes. But not by denying it what it needs. Hence, the reason I am trying to find out what it NEEDS.

Feel free to email me. I can get you reasonable advice and detail why.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Listen to Pu. Not Dana.

That is all.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Listen to Pu. Not Dana.

That is all.

My information will yield superior results. :)
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Bump... I don't get it either.... everything says something different. :indifferent:

Yeah, my thoughts too!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

Simple answer, who cares? Are you losing weight in a safe manner? If so keep doing what you're doing, if you're not, change it. Why even obsesses about TDEE, BMR, exercise calories. etc.

Most people have 1 goal, LOSE WEIGHT focus on that. (as i said already in a safe and healthy manner)

You're making it too complicated. Multply your LBM(lean body mass by) 0.5-1.0 based on activity level. Multiple your weight by .43 (this gives you grams of fat). and pad the rest of your calories with carbs.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Don't make rocket science out of something easy.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options

You're making it too complicated. Multply your LBM(lean body mass by) 0.5-1.0 based on activity level. Multiple your weight by .43 (this gives you grams of fat). and pad the rest of your calories with carbs.

Pu. Why could you just not say this 3 pages ago when I asked you? lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Listen to Pu. Not Dana.

That is all.

My information will yield superior results. :)

Thank you for all your input... most of everything you said made sense as well :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Dumb it down? Okay...

Eat right (some call it clean, meaning fresh veggies and fruit, with meat/fish/dairy included a few times a week)
    Exercise (i.e., move) every day
    Sleep (whatever you need)
    Look yourself straight in the eye(s) in a mirror everyday - your questions and answers will be right there.

BEAUTIFUL! Keep it simple!! Best answer on here! Although I eat meat, fish, dairy every day lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options

Pu. Why could you just not say this 3 pages ago when I asked you? lol

because i was messing with you, being vague. we used to be friends.

I KNOW! Which is why I would expect you to give it to me skratttttte without beating around the bush lol
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    scottydewwannalosewt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I went through all of the threads and didn't see the formula for BMR. Where is the BMR number that is in MFP? Is that the recommended number of calories (i.e. 1200)? Please let me know.

Scott
  • GoTanieGo
    GoTanieGo Posts: 24
    Options
    bump
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I feel like this thread is on its way out, but I'll post anyway.

The 'don't eat below your BMR' thing is really only espoused here on MFP and is not widely accepted. Try to find a source for this in the literature or from any expert. That is why MFP ignores your BMR when it sets your calorie goal. BMR doesn't matter.

The important thing is that your deficit from TDEE not be too large (1000 cals max is recommended).

If you use the MFP method, set your activity settings as non-exercise activity and then log exercise and eat calories back.

If you use the TDEE method, figure out your TDEE using an online calculator factoring in your exercise and then take 500-1000 off from that. Don't eat additional calories for exercise because they're already factored in.

The two methods will be about the same. Dont mix them or it gets confusing. Forget about BMR.

Hope that helps.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Eating below BMR is technically anorexia. Please do not support eating disorders in these forums.

Technically, anorexia is a loss of appetite for food. Anorexia nervosa is the emotional/mental condition in which someone has an intense fear of gaining weight and a body weight far below what is considered normal. There is nothing about eating below BMR in the diagnostic criteria.

In order to lose weight, everyone has to burn more calories than their body requires. Everyone is at a deficit. Whether they eat their BMR calories or not. If I work out first thing in the morning, I've spent some of my BMR calories. My organs don't shut down later in the day. I would be shocked if OP's organs shut down if she ate at 1500 calories for a full year (or much more), unless she became underweight.
  • selanders
    selanders Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the poster for finally pointing out that the "technical" definition of anorexia nervosa has everything to do with the mindset of the individual, and nothing to do with BMR or calorie count. It has to do with restriction, obsession, fear of food, fear of gaining weight, forcibly suppressed appetite, and distorted body perception (looking in the mirror and seeing fat where there is only skin and bones). I've know lots of people with eating disorders and you really minimize the seriousness of the disease by claiming that eating below BMR is equivalent or even "technically" true. Go to any website and look up a definition or explanation of anorexia, no mention of BMR.