$20 a week.

Options
emnk5308
emnk5308 Posts: 736
How do I eat on $20 a week. =| I have everything I need to replace my breakfast with a frozen coffee protein drink =) So I need lunch, dinner, and snacks. I don't like having wheat noodles and spaghetti sauce EVERY night.. =| like I've been doing. I like to have Michelinas in the house, they are $1 each. Need more ideas..
=)

Replies

• Mom_of_Lil_n_Kat
    Mom_of_Lil_n_Kat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mac n cheese with tuna and peas. you can do it on the stove, or just cook the mac n cheese and throw it all in the oven for a casserole.
  • Mom_of_Lil_n_Kat
    Options
    oooh, chili!
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Tuna is cheap and you can usually get 2 sandwiches from a 5 oz can. Noodles are cheap. I like to make a tuna salad with frozen peas and corn. Do you have Aldi there?
    How do I eat on $20 a week. =| I have everything I need to replace my breakfast with a frozen coffee protein drink =) So I need lunch, dinner, and snacks. I don't like having wheat noodles and spaghetti sauce EVERY night.. =| like I've been doing. I like to have Michelinas in the house, they are $1 each. Need more ideas..
    =)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, rice, in season fruits and veggies, oats, eggs..
  • Mom_of_Lil_n_Kat
    Options
    i know it's hot out, but you could always do some homemade soups, too. i love throwing it in the crock pot.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    First off look for sales, make HUGE batches of stuff and try to buy generic brands when they're cheaper. I'd use the $20 to buy:

2 dozen eggs--have an omelet for 1 meal.

baby carrots and make some hummus--like $2-3 for enough to last the week

pound of beans, pound of frozen onions and peppers, can of stewed tomatoes, and a pound of ground turkey--all about $6-8 and will last for 1 meal for the entire week

container of oatmeal--$2-3 and will last the week

few pounds of bananas

1 loaf of bread

1 jar of peanut butter
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    Beans... You can also get a bag of frozen chicken breasts for like $6. And that could last a couple of weeks. also for fresh fruit and veggies, try a local farmers market or if you know anyone who has a garden, they might give you some for free. I give away our extra veggies from our garden.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A big bag of rice will last a long time. Canned tuna and salmon, especially on sale. You can heat up the canned fish and put it on a bed of rice with some lemon pepper. Fresh veggies in-season and on sale. Eggs.
    Any way you look at it though, $20 is gonna be a little tough for a decent week's worth of food.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I WISH I had Aldi!! I used to shop there, and loved it... =/
    I never did think of half of that stuff! Thanks!!! =)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Find a farmer's market. You get whatever is in season and it'll be both good and cheap.
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fred Meyers or Kroger around, they have a Carbsmart Yogurt that's high protein/low cal for about $0.50 per container. I add a cut up apple and 1/8 cup almonds and have lunch! Right around 150 cals.
  • readyforthejourney
    Options
    Hey,

Not sure if its possible or not but if you were to think in terms of 80 a month instead of 20 a week then you may be able to get more for your money that way...buy in bulk, do a ton of prep ahead etc.
  • tracy1031
    tracy1031 Posts: 36
    Options
    Quesadillas... Get a big block of cheddar cheese, shred it and freeze in portions. You can get packaged tortillas, or you can make a ton of them for super cheap. All you need is flour, salt, baking powder, and shortening. I like them with salsa, which is also usually inexpensive.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Crockpot Turkey Chili! It makes a TON of food, enough to fill a 5 qt crockpot or can be made on the stovetop in a 6 quart stock pot, and it freezes well in individual portion sizes to be used over the course of a month.

1 lb ground turkey, sautéed on stove top until all pink is gone & then added to crockpot or stockpot (omit this for vegetarians)
    19 oz can black bean soup (I use Organics brand from Pavilions, but any will do, some of these are very "onion" heavy and have an overpowering flavor, so read the ingredients list - the higher on the list the more of the ingredient)
    16 oz can vegetarian baked beans
    15 oz can kidney beans rinsed/drained
    14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes in their own juices (I use fire roasted tomatoes because of the extra flavor - its not spicy, just flavorful - sometimes I blend this in the blender so there aren't any chunks)
    15 oz can drained whole kernel corn
    1 small can of mild chopped green chili
    1 small can of tomato paste & half can of water (after emptying can, fill with hot water half way, gently shake or stir to get the last of the tomato paste out and pour into crockpot)
    1 bell pepper chopped (microwave for 2-3 mins to help soften) - I have used all colors of peppers in various batches of this dish and all have tasted great
    2-3 stalks celery chopped (microwave for 2-3 mins to help soften)
    2-3 large carrots chopped (microwave for 2-3 mins to help soften)
    3-4 cloves garlic minced

Mix spices together before adding to the pot:
    1/4 to 1/2 tbsp roasted chipotle chili powder (can use regular chili power)
    1 tbsp parsley
    1 tbsp oregano
    1 tbsp basil

Usually, between each thing I add I stir the pot so that everything incorporates easily. Cook in crockpot for 4 hrs on High, stirring a few times. Or, cook on on stovetop over low-medium heat, stirring a occasionally to prevent burning at the bottom for 2-3 hours, then on low to keep warm. Great served over rice or with cornbread and its even better the next day.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    If you have a Fred Meyers or Kroger around, they have a Carbsmart Yogurt that's high protein/low cal for about $0.50 per container. I add a cut up apple and 1/8 cup almonds and have lunch! Right around 150 cals.

if you're calling a 150 calorie SNACK lunch then I'd reconsider. add in 2 oz nuts--320 calories--to the 60 calorie yogurt and then we're talkin.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Michelina frozen lean dinners are a $1 a pop. Not too shabby.

I boil some chicken and cut it into cubes. First night I do a chicken rice vegetable soy sauce number. Next night is chicken salad, Then you can make an easy chicken tortilla soup that makes many many servings for less than $6 bucks.

I 10 oz can of chicken
    2 cans of chicken broth
    1 can of black beans drained
    1 can of black olives drained
    1 can of rotel
    1 can of corn
    some oregano,cilantro
    dump all in pot heat and stir

put some chips in the bottom of your bowl and pour it on top. add sour cream or cheese whatever.

that tuna thing above mentioned is great I just add a can of cream of mushroom soup. also can substitute tuna for lean hamburger meat. its yummy.

you an divide up portions in containers and freeze so you don't have to eat same thing everynight.

I use to eat on that budget it got pretty fun getting creative. I have a bunch more let me know if interested.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can eat on $20 a week. Buy items that are around $1 that will last you a few meals and that you can combine to make different meals: BUY STORE BRANDS

Eggs
    Oatmeal
    Bananas
    Large Cans of Tuna or Chicken
    Loaf of bread
    Turkey dogs
    Chicken legs or thighs
    Potatoes
    Baby Carrots
    Brown Rice
    1/2 gallon milk
    1 lb bag frozen mixed veggies
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hope the $20/wk is a temporary thing. I live on a fixed income and I watch my grocery budget closely. I would have a hard time with a $20 budget. For protein, how about eggs, tuna, maybe cottage cheese, peanut butter, and some meat that's on sale. A loaf of bread for sandwiches and French toast. Russet potatoes with cottage cheese.....something green like spinach for salads with eggs or in omelets. Lentil soup with carrots is a favorite of mine and very filling. Canned pineapple for the cottage cheese maybe. I usually buy a pound or so of meat that is on sale and some fruit that is in season.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Find a farmer's market. You get whatever is in season and it'll be both good and cheap.

This is where it's at... I can buy fruit, eggs and veggies for a fortnight plus at my farmer's market fro about $20-30
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it's just you you're feeding on $20! I would absolutely purchase a month's worth of groceries:

- Frozen meat. Chicken/fish $6 each bag. Cheaper cuts of beef (stew) $5 or pork loin chop $6 = $23
    - Dried beans (Black/Pinto/Kidney etc) $3
    -Sweet potatos (lower GI then regular potatos) $4 Lettuce (not gourmet, just iceberg for cheap salads) $2
    -Frozen Veg (Broccoli, beans, spinach, okra, carrots, corn, peas, onions, peppers) Great Value: $1-2 each = $11
    -Frozen Fruit (Berries - $3-6, .peach/pineapple etc $4
    -Canned tomatos
    -Tub of yogurt
    -Eggs

If you're a bread eater i'd get a loaf of that and freeze. I'm not into processed stuff but if that's easier then do what you need to.

G'luck!