Thread for All Women who LIFT

Options
13»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been doing NRoL4W. I'm lifting as heavy as I can and I have visible muscle definition, but the amounts I'm lifting are far from impressive. I guess that's ok as I weigh just barely over 100 pounds (I'm petite), so the weights are heavy for me. I also have knee issues (from some past serious impact injuries), so I just started working with a physiotherapist.
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    I love hearing all of these replys, I am almost done with Insanity, I have less than 3 weeks left and I want to start lifting after and walking to help me lose the rest of this weight. I want to start off with 5 pounds and I dont know where I will be after that but little steps count...

BUMP!!!!
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Started about 2 months ago with a 11pounds in each hand for dumbell chest press. Can now do 22 pounds, so have doubled! Stared with 57 pounds on the lat incline and now at 83 pounds.
    Using a 45 pound barbell for my squats when started with a 17 pound dumbell!
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I really want to start doing the new rules of lifting for women or the 5x5 program, but I'm going to complete my Live Fit program first. I've already increased a lot in weight. When I start a new lifting program after the one I'm doing now, I'm confused at what phase I should start in. If I should just do the other programs as described or if I should start somewhere else because I will have been doing it for three months. What do you guys think?
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Doing Livefit now, and probably Stronglift when I'm done. I love it!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I started "New Rules...for Women" at the end of March, and while I've had a few issues with my back along the way, I totally love it!

The basics, I guess:

Deadlifts 60lbs --> 115lbs
    Squats 40lbs --> 95lbs
    Shoulder Press 10lb dumbbells --> 22.5lb dumbbells (I remember the first day using those 10-pounders, my arms were shaking, so getting to 22.5 made me super proud!)
    Lat Pulldown 45lbs --> 95lbs
    Seated Row --> 30lbs --> 75lbs
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bumping because this is giving me inspiration and I hope to hear from more lifters. I started lifting about 3 weeks ago and my biggest issue is that I don't push myself enough so I am slow to increase the weights. But I am learning a lot from this thread, so thanks!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I really want to start doing the new rules of lifting for women or the 5x5 program, but I'm going to complete my Live Fit program first. I've already increased a lot in weight. When I start a new lifting program after the one I'm doing now, I'm confused at what phase I should start in. If I should just do the other programs as described or if I should start somewhere else because I will have been doing it for three months. What do you guys think?

You can still do the program as described, but just start off lifting at the heavy weights you can already lift and increase from there at the regular rate.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Nice job ladies. :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts 8 weeks ago and am LOVING it! I do pole dance, and wanted to build strength. I'd been doing body bar classes for 2 years and hadnt really seen an increase in strength (gained around 5kg over 2 years over all movements). I'd never lifted more than 15kg when I started 8 weeks ago.

My progress has been
    wk1 (empty bar for all but deadlift)
    Squat 20kg
    OHP 20kg
    DL 35kg
    Row 20kg
    Bench 20kg

wk8
    Squat 65kg
    OHP 27.5kg
    DL 60kg
    Row 35kg
    Bench 35kg

Im hoping to hit 30kg on OHP this week, its been my hardest lift, but is getting there :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I don't lift yet. I recently bought an elliptical machine and I've been using it faithfully, but I'm struggling to start a beginner strengthening program. I understand why it's so important, but I don't want to go to the gym. Any advice for creating a cheap home program for strengthening?

You could start with a variety of bodyweight exercises, push ups, pull ups, dips, etc. Google bodyweight exercises and go for it. Then maybe get yourself a cheap set of weights and a barbell, etc. :)
  • bikerbabe1971
    Options
    Hey girls,

I lift too and I love it :o) I am still quite over weight, and to boost my weightloss i started the Jillin Michaels 30 Day Shred and got on so well with it that I bought a set of bumbells and I can now lift the 2.2kg weights no problem.

I love my arm and shoulder muscles, I am really starting to see some good definition now. I also run, elliptical and row so my legs are toning really well also.

I think women bodybuilders look awesome. I won't go that far, but I am aiming for the best toned and muscular body I can!

Please feel free to add me as a friend anyone as I am new to this site and would love to make likeminded friends :o)

Leigh x
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Starting Bench press: 45lb bar, approx 6 reps. Now: 110lbs, 5 reps. Took me around a year to get up to around 80-85lbs. Then I had 9 months break in my first year at uni (only went gym 3 times) and dropped down to around 70lbs. It's taken me around 2 years to work back up to 110.

Starting Overhead press: 45lb bar (I practiced with DB's and the machine for a little bit before - I probably couldn't have done the bar right at the beginning) Now: Around 72lbs for 5 reps. Same training pattern as bench with the years training, a break, and then 2 years.

Starting Squat: 45lb bar. This took me forever to master, it wasn't the strength that was a problem it was the form/balance. Now: 120lbs for around 5 reps. Training for around 1 year 3 months (shamefully I never did squats/deads regularly before that)

Starting Deadlift: Around 70-80lbs. Now 165lbs for 5 reps. Training for 1 year 3 months.

Just started barbell rows about a week ago (of course experience in the other lifts will have helped my starting weight) 77lbs for 8 reps.

All the other exercises such as isolations I haven't been training on as regularly, nor do I focus as much on the weight, so I can't remember much of what I started on.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I started lifting again after a year and a half injury recovery... uhh. About 2 and a half months ago. New Rules of Lifting for women as well.

Squats went from bodyweight to 115 *kitten* to grass and 135 parallel. Hoping to increase soon, but my knee is being dumb.
    Deadlifts from 95 to 165. I wanna get to 300 by the end of this year. Wut? Wut!
    Cable rows from 65 to 120
    Lat pulldowns from 80 to 120
    Just finished Stage 2 and still not sure how I feel about any of the new lifts, so I won't mention them

... Uhhhm, bench is steadily increasing. Started at 70, at 95 right now, sans spotter, so I'm sure I could go higher.

Anyone who wants a lifting friend can add me! Lifty lifty lift lift.
  • stormystrickland
    Options

You can still do the program as described, but just start off lifting at the heavy weights you can already lift and increase from there at the regular rate.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to do that. :)
  • stormystrickland
    Options
    I also just bought the NROL4W today! :) I'm so readyyyy.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for over a year now. I started that the same time I started my cardio and weight loss plans. I am so glad I included lifting when I did. I have come a long way but I am not where I want to be yet.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I just started a few weeks ago. Started squatting the bar, so 45#s. Now 60#s. Started deadlifting 85#s but I was really concerned with my form so I dropped to 60 and now I've worked up to 80#s. Those are really the only big lifts I do because I don't have a spotter for chest press or anything. So I do 30#s for chest press and shoulder press. Not sure what options I have for that. But I'm new so I'll figure out what to do that is safe. :smile: