Expressions you hate..

Options

Replies

• oceanbigwater
    Options
    when a woman says while I'm inside her "Does red soars on my vagina mean I should be worried?" ARRRRGH HATE THAT!!!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If I hear "It is what it is" one more time I will burst...I was at the store today and someone next to me said it....I think I bit my knuckles!!! My apologies to frequent users of this expression...but...I - just - can't - stand it..

what do you got?

Oh, dear....I use that phrase....:tongue:
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Being in a store with my husband and being greeted by the cashier - "How are you guys today?"
    Excuse me?
    Being of the female gender, I am not, nor ever will be one of the "guys."
    Is it imposible to just say "Hello" anymore?
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    "I could care less" when they obviously mean "I COULD'NT care less."

I could care less is the right way to say that though.

If you say "I couldn't care less"...it's a double negative making you actually care.

This is an incorrect interpretation.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    "Nothing for nothing" and theres this one guy i know that will use about 10 times in a 3 min time frame....it drives me bonkers!!
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    "For shame" sounds stupid to me.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    +1 for "Just sayin". No SH@T!?! really; is that why you just said it??

Also, in work meetings I hear the term "dodged a bullet" too often. I've never seen anyone that was killed by a memo from the plant manager. There are people who's job it is to dodge real bullets, little chunks of metal traveling 2400 feet per second or greater. Just irks me a little, comparing our stresses with someone else who's stress is in a totally different league.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "I could care less" when they obviously mean "I COULD'NT care less."

I could care less is the right way to say that though.

If you say "I couldn't care less"...it's a double negative making you actually care.

This is an incorrect interpretation.

I have to agree that the interpretation is a little off.
    I couldn't care less = I could not care less = there is no caring at all left in me, or my ammount of caring is absolute zero.

To say that I could care less means that there is still some caring in me that I haven't gotten rid of yet.

It may look funny but i believe that "I couldn't care less" is propper. Of course I failed grade school for the most part...
  • oceanbigwater
    Options
    I don't think I couldn't care less is a double negative because if you unleashed the contraction the sentence would read I could not care any less than I do. I true double negative would be i.e., I couldn't not eat the cake. If you unleash the contraction you see the sentence still contains the double negative could not not eat the cake
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My bad (ugh)
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Not really an expression but females that say "like" damn near every 4th word out of their mouth.

Makes me want to

snooki.gif
  • Cindy4866
    Cindy4866 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Polite gestures bug me.

"Excuse me"...Why, if burping upsets people then screw them. Burp freely I say.
    or worse
    "Excuse You"...I don't need you to excuse me. Who the hell do you think you are.

"God bless you" or "Gazoontite"
    Here's a better sneeze response.
    "How dare you sneeze in my presence. My you and your family suffer the death of a thousand horny monkeys."

No according to Seinfeld you say "You are so good looking".

I dislike a lot of the expressions that have been posted but the one that really upsets me and I didn't see posted is "I don't mean to interrupt" . Well you must or you wouldn't!

Also in healhcare the term near miss!
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    pretty much any corporate jargon makes me want to punch someone in the throat. "push the envelope" "hit it out of the park" "take a stab at it" "dog and pony"

Also, i'm a graphic designer and if someone asks me to "just jazz it up" one more time, i'm going to jazz my foot up their *kitten*.

Oh yes. To keep yourself from gouging your eye out with a pen during management presentations, you can play Buzzword Bingo with your co-workers. Some suggestions for the bingo board:
    "...going forward"
    "within the organization"
    "outside the box"
    "from a (marketing/revenue/cost) perspective..."
    "...to drive (sales/revenue/etc.)"
    "...impact..." (as a verb)
    "...leverage..." (as a verb)
    "right-size" (euphemism for company death spiral)
    "human capital"
    "core competency"
    "align"
    "the culture (of the "organization")"

It's fun. You may get lucky and bingo in one sentence, "Now that we have right-sized the organization, going forward we will leverage our remaining human capital by aligning with each group's core competencies to drive sales and impact revenue. Going forward."

this is an amazing idea. i must try it at my next meeting.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    My bad (ugh)

lmao...I use that all the time! I have for years! Opps....my bad :tongue: :laugh:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I live in western South Dakota - a lot of ranchers out here. Most of them pronounce the word "drought" as "droth". It drives me INSANE, and I want to correct them, but it's so accepted out here, they'd think I was a snooty "eastlander". Someday I'm going to leave this state, stand at the border and scream, "IT'S PRONOUNCED 'DROWT'!!!!" Passive-aggressive, I know, but it will make me feel better.
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    It's more of a word... "irregardless". My ex said it ALL the time thinking he was so smart and funny. It drove me insane and I hated it. I still hate it when anyone says it!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    "nuff said" at the end of a rant like thats the last word and its right. WHATEVER. I've always thought it was dumb. "nuff" isnt even a word and secondly...you can't even say "enough"

Also, I hate "just sayin" NO! You're not "just sayin" because there was a thought process behind why you said what you said. Usually people use it to justify something they've stated. USUALLY WRONG!!!

Last, but not least...this isn't an expression...when people spell DEFINITELY wrong!!! OH MAN I GET SO ANNOYED!!! It's D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. Not definatly, or definately, defanatly...or defiantly (THAT is whole other word entirely!!). Or use your/you're wrong...or their/there/they're, here/hear...etc
  • ErinBeth7
    Options
    Heard a comedian once joke about the expression "there's more than one way to skin a cat"....he said "how many ways do you need?!"

I've always agreed.

I also hate the "You can't have your cake and eat it too" expression. If you give me cake I'm gonna f***ing eat it. That's why I'm here. If you try to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it I'm going to take a *kitten* on the hood of your car.

You realize it just means that you simply won't continue to have someting, once you consume/use it up, right? Sorry if you knew that already, but I thought you might not, based on what you said about it and you may find it less annoying, if it made more sense to you.

Ha!
  • ErinBeth7
    Options
    The sayings I most hate are staples on MFP forums.
    - Sweat is fat crying
    - A tiger's earned her stripes
    - Eat more to weigh less
    - You can't spot reduce

OHHHHH I hate "sweat is fat crying" so much. Or "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." Talk about eating disorder!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    When people say "Jelly!" when they're jealous -.-