Anyone with piercings? Q about flare-ups...

Options
salxtai
salxtai Posts: 341 Member
Has anyone had issues with old piercings suddenly flaring up / getting irritated for no reason?

How do you deal with it?

The story:

I've got an old (2007) helix (cartilage) piercing that up until about 8 months ago had no issues. Its flared up before, but they've gone down within days - this one has been going on for 8 months, if not more :S

I know its laziness on my part but I've done the "ignore" treatment and it hasn't worked
- have tried to avoid sleeping on it, tried 2x tea tree oil applications (has worked previously) etc... nothing.
Will try icing it over few days, see if that happens to work..

The front of the piercing has a small cyst-like lump around the opening, but no pus or anything. Its fairly sore to twist the jewelry around.
(photo is here if you want to see what I mean... http://i49.tinypic.com/xly23m.jpg)

and its also swollen around the back as well. ( http://i46.tinypic.com/2uiybma.jpg)
- it used to look like my other ear, before this started ( http://i46.tinypic.com/2uiybma.jpg)

switched from my titanium stud to the clear retainer last night so the piercing's even more irritated than normal in the photos.

Any advice would be awesome - after 8 months, I'm starting to get annoyed (since its not directly in the way of daily life, I tend to forget about it, but its always there)

Replies

• salxtai
    Options
    sigh. bump...
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've got my nose pierced and had the same type of lump appear on the inside and outside of my nostril this past winter. I ended up having to take it out for 2 weeks and wait for the swollen lump to go back down. It was the first time it has happened and I've had my nose pierced for 4 years.
  • salxtai
    Options
    I've got my nose pierced and had the same type of lump appear on the inside and outside of my nostril this past winter. I ended up having to take it out for 2 weeks and wait for the swollen lump to go back down. It was the first time it has happened and I've had my nose pierced for 4 years.

I'm not very confident with my piercings to take them out, although logically speaking, you'd think it'd survive a 2-week break if its been pierced since 2007... might need to do this.

Have switched to a much longer bar, see if that helps
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've my piercings 10ish years. Sometimes if I'm sick they will act up. I just put some lucas paw paw ointment on them and that works.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yep, especially my nose piercing. When it starts getting sore or the surrounding area gets red, I just baby it a few days by making sure I don't get makeup around it and I clean it a few times per day with bland soap and water. It quickly returns to normal.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I've never had any flare-ups fromy past piercings, but when I got my orbital piercing it took awhile to heal. They originally put 2 rings for the first month, then I had to go back and get a single ring put through both holes. During that time I ended up getting a little sore bump like you're describing. They told me to soak the ear in warm, sea salt water twice a day. I did that, and after awhile it went away. Bump free for 4 years.
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had that!! I took my normal earring out and changed it to one they use when you get your labret pierced (with the flat back and the long bar). That and tee tree oil cleared the lump in a couple of days.
  • salxtai
    Options
    I had that!! I took my normal earring out and changed it to one they use when you get your labret pierced (with the flat back and the long bar). That and tee tree oil cleared the lump in a couple of days.

I switched to my original barbell a few hours ago - hopefully this does the trick, cause the bump looks just a *tad* ugly, haha.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me a while after i got it pierced, oddly enough changing it back to the bar i had it pierced with and cleaning it with Saline solution for a few days completely healed it. Think i'm allergic to the bar i had in it even though i'd had it in there weeks before it reacted. Odd huh :ohwell:
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I They told me to soak the ear in warm, sea salt water twice a day. I did that, and after awhile it went away. Bump free for 4 years.

I used to have the same cartridge piercing and it would flare up the same way a few times a year.

Good job on switching to a barbell, they are far less likely to cause trouble because they are straight and not curved.

I think warm sea salt soaks might be beneficial as long as the salt concentration isnt too high. It will draw out any lymph discharge without irritating it. You didnt mention any green or red/brown discharge coming from it so its probably not infected.

Also: Dont use regular table salt,only sea salt! haha
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    my wife had gotten her navel Pierced a few years ago, had a reaction, now she can only wear pure gold or Steerling Silver, anything else she breaks out with an infection this is Ears as well, and even a necklace that is not stone or gold/silver irritates her skin
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I They told me to soak the ear in warm, sea salt water twice a day. I did that, and after awhile it went away. Bump free for 4 years.

I used to have the same cartridge piercing and it would flare up the same way a few times a year.

Good job on switching to a barbell, they are far less likely to cause trouble because they are straight and not curved.

I think warm sea salt soaks might be beneficial as long as the salt concentration isnt too high. It will draw out any lymph discharge without irritating it. You didnt mention any green or red/brown discharge coming from it so its probably not infected.

I recently got my lobes pierced again and they actually recommended sea salt instead of soap for cleaning in general. They had something (which I honesly didn't read because it wasn't my first piercing hah) about how the pH balance is restored by using sea salt. I think it was a 2-1 ratio, but I'm too tired to completely remember it. :p

As for the piercing, I have the barbell (industrial) on my other ear and they started me out with the barbell. The orbital piercing is a round piece of jewelry that goes through both piercing holes on my cartilage. ;)
  • salxtai
    Options

Off I go to buy sea salt again then, for the first time in about 4 years - safe to say the last batch is long gone in the cooking :P

As for the piercing, I have the barbell (industrial) on my other ear and they started me out with the barbell. The orbital piercing is a round piece of jewelry that goes through both piercing holes on my cartilage. ;)

My 2nd forward helix piercing was intended to create a half orbital with my first fwd helix - however by the time it healed I ended up liking my spikes too much to switch, haha.
    - who can resist blue-green spikes? http://i46.tinypic.com/2uiybma.jpg

btw, that's water droplets on my hair (fresh out of the shower), not dandrufff (ewwww.)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've had my ear lobes pierced since I was 9 and I'm 24 now. Randomly one of them decided to get infected, even though I've never had one before.

The one thing I did was put a warm wash cloth on it and just hold it there until it ran cold.. and do that multiple times a day. It will help that lump open up and the pus come out.
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had my bellybutton done in 1995, took it out in 1999....it got an infection in 2007, it was crazy....I never had an issues when I had it in.
    My cartilage piercing hurts sometimes if I sleep on that side the whole night, but that's about it, I've never had an issue with that one.
  • Kittyface722
    Kittyface722 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got mine done like 5 years ago and it's acting up too. In my experience, the bump I got was a keloid from the piercing rubbing the ear the wrong way. Applying tea tree oil and putting it a non-irritating position made it go away. As for the hurting, I only notice it when I sleep on it or move the ring. It sucks. I'm trying tea tree oil now to see if it will help with the hurting. So weird!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I got mine done like 5 years ago and it's acting up too. In my experience, the bump I got was a keloid from the piercing rubbing the ear the wrong way. Applying tea tree oil and putting it a non-irritating position made it go away. As for the hurting, I only notice it when I sleep on it or move the ring. It sucks. I'm trying tea tree oil now to see if it will help with the hurting. So weird!

I had a bump when I got my industrial piercing. They are actually quite normal. Apply the tea tree oil and try to avoid touching it and changing it so much. Cartilage piercings can take a while to heal and you have to be gentle with them.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I switched to sterling silver in my lobes, and titanium in my cartilage, and I haven't had any issues since. apparently, I'm "delicate."
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had issues with old piercings suddenly flaring up / getting irritated for no reason?

How do you deal with it?

The story:

I've got an old (2007) helix (cartilage) piercing that up until about 8 months ago had no issues. Its flared up before, but they've gone down within days - this one has been going on for 8 months, if not more :S

I know its laziness on my part but I've done the "ignore" treatment and it hasn't worked
    - have tried to avoid sleeping on it, tried 2x tea tree oil applications (has worked previously) etc... nothing.
    Will try icing it over few days, see if that happens to work..

The front of the piercing has a small cyst-like lump around the opening, but no pus or anything. Its fairly sore to twist the jewelry around.
    (photo is here if you want to see what I mean... http://i49.tinypic.com/xly23m.jpg)

and its also swollen around the back as well. ( http://i46.tinypic.com/2uiybma.jpg)
    - it used to look like my other ear, before this started ( http://i46.tinypic.com/2uiybma.jpg)

switched from my titanium stud to the clear retainer last night so the piercing's even more irritated than normal in the photos.

Any advice would be awesome - after 8 months, I'm starting to get annoyed (since its not directly in the way of daily life, I tend to forget about it, but its always there)

The guy that pierced me told me it could get a hair, lint
    or anything trapped in there. It's very important to
    always wash the rings, keep the holes clean and use
    only surgical steel materials.

Hope it heals.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I have a couple outer helix piercings and conch on my left ear. They're not the easiest piercings to care for, they get sore and/or infected easily compared to other piercings. I've had my lip pierced for 10 years and never had any issues.

Anywho, yes to the warm sea salt soak, very low concentration (a pinch, 1/8 tsp/4 oz water), 10 minutes twice a day. Don't use regular salt, don't use too much salt or too hot of water (it'll irritate the area). I just lower my ear into the glass and chill there awkwardly. It works every time. You could also try soaking a paper towel with the solution and putting it directly on the piercing.