Saturated fats and cholesterol

Options
peachyxoxoxo
peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
I wrote an article on saturated fat and cholesterol to clear up some long-standing misconceptions. I would copy-paste it here but there are some links to studies within the text. It's posted on my blog at this link if you'd like to take a look: http://choosing-healthy.tumblr.com/post/27502982337/separating-the-myths-from-fact

I'm curious what everyone has to think about this. FYI I'm vegan and I do not intentionally restrict any nutrients in my diet (carbs, saturated fat, etc). I simply try to eat a balanced diet without overdoing it in anyone one area, and my ideology is that moderation is key.

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    Tl;dr, saturated fats and cholesterol have been demonized to an unnecessary extent in our society for the last 30-40 years.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    "My only remaining question is, why aren’t more people talking about this? Major sources of “reliable” nutrition information continue to promote low fat, low cholesterol diets for disease prevention."

My favorite part!

I'm a convert--it's really hard to let go of beliefs you held for a long time. People aren't willing or able to let go of the "facts" they know to be true. With the health organizations and the government I assume that it just comes down to money and/or the economy. Or maybe they really are that incompetent. It's absolutely criminal though.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How cool! Thanks for posting this!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    Thanks for reading! :) I'm glad you guys found it interesting.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    You mentioned palm oil and coconut oil has vegan sources of saturated fat. Funny coincidence that goes along with what you are saying. Those two oils are demonized for their sat fat content. Most of the sat fat in those comes from medium chain triglycerides which are a form of fat that is so easy to digest and use for energy that it is given to some patients suffering from malnourishment.

Studies of cultures using coconut oil showed that after fat sources with less saturated fats were introduced by well meaning westerners (in the form of margerine) that they had similar health consequences as typical unhealthy Americans.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya, I've dropped the cholesterol and sat fat concerns two years ago.

It enrages me how the mainstream health advice is still the same though. Despite so much evidence to the contrary, they just won't admit they were wrong and continue spewing the same nonsense.
  • NickPineault
    Options
    This topic needs more view. Great post.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bump to read article later.