Failure

jesz124
jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
I was just thinking about the times in the past when I have lost weight then reverted back to eating the way I was before and regained all the weight I lost.

I lost a lot of weight (nearly 3 stone) by going to Slimming World. This was about 3 years ago now. I think I regained most of the weight within a year of leaving my class.

I was just wondering what other ways have people tried to loose weight and given up on in the past? I have my nosey head on today ;-)

Replies

• davidti
    davidti Posts: 2 Member
    I was just thinking about the times in the past when I have lost weight then reverted back to eating the way I was before and regained all the weight I lost.

I lost a lot of weight (nearly 3 stone) by going to Slimming World. This was about 3 years ago now. I think I regained most of the weight within a year of leaving my class.

I was just wondering what other ways have people tried to loose weight and given up on in the past? I have my nosey head on today ;-)
  • I lost tons of weight on low carb before. I have no idea why I stopped because it worked so well. I am doing it again with lots of success.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    ive never lost more then 20 lbs (in my adult life)... but I did loose 20lbs twice.. (both with weight watchers).. and yep gained it back...oh and yrs back did atkins. wait yes lost about 30 then.. gained it back...:indifferent: ... hows MFP going for you? im on day 6.. almost my first wk up! and its funny i'm almost nervous to weigh myself. LOL.. i know this plan you loose slower but its also more realistic.. and natural.. so you wont revert back.. idk its crazy
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    whats "3 stone"?
  • I've done this as well. I've tried Atkins, and going vegetarian. I always go back.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Think to the past only tio make sure you don't repeat the same mistakes. Live in the present with an eye on the future. This for me is what I've learned about my past.
  • Rtbabe
    Rtbabe Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, to keep weight off it has to be a life style change for the rest of your life. Always watching what you eat, mental notes on your calories, and keep your exercise up! It very hard to always do that, but if you follow those basics, you should always keep your weight in check. Also, the older we get, the slower our metabolism is and have to watch it even more. Exercise and eating right has to be a life long challenge.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    I have lost weight by limiting calories, carbs and fat. I have done this several times throughout my adult life. I am a very successful dieter! Lol! I have hit a plateau at 190lbs. the last 3 times that I have dieted that lasted months and I would end up giving up and of course, gain all or most of the weight back. This time, I am staying on track. I have changed my lifestyle, I am not on a diet. If I hit that plateau again I will keep logging and get through it! Btw, I am currently at 191lbs. =)
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    In my opinion, the best thing is to NEVER diet! Whatever you do needs to be a forever thing - a lifestyle change. If you are doing anything restrictive or extreme, it won't be lasting once you stop. Hopefully the dietary changes you make will be so simple and easy that you won't ever feel the need to stop. Nothing is off limits for me - I just make sure I stay within my calories and if I want more, I exercise to earn it. :flowerforyou:

P.S. I agree that MFP is slower, more realistic, and more natural. It makes it easy to maintain once you're done. I think it still might be a struggle for food addicts and emotional eaters, but for the average person it's a great re-training tool. (I've been on maintenance for over a year. No problem! )
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
  • jesz124
    whats "3 stone"?
    Sorry, it's 42 lbs ;-)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    I’m 48 and have been overweight or losing weight since I was 15, lose it, put it on, lose it, put it on, maybe keep it off for a year, then something will change and I’ll revert. Not this time
    I’m sure to get hated for this, but I can let you in to a secret that lots of people don’t want you to know?

Dieting does not work; it is a failure waiting to happen, go on a diet and you will fail. End of
    But all is not lost

Change your life style
    Get rid of the idea of bad food v good food. All food is just that food.
    Remember it took years to get to this place; no quick fix will ever work.
    Ask yourself why you eat, find the reason behind your eating habits and take away the reason, and you will solve your problem.
    Change your life and your body will follow

I eat because I am always hungry, all ways even after a 20 ounce steak with all the trimmings and fries on the side, I feel hungry, but I’m no longer a slave to that feeling, I eat more food than I did before. However along better timing, (six meals a day) better choices, balanced fat, protein, lower sugar, and carbohydrate control, and more exercise means I’m losing weight and gaining my own self respect.

You can do it, only if you give up on dieting and find the reasons behind your eating habits and change them.
    Life style change
    Restyle your life for the better
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    I lost tons of weight on low carb before. I have no idea why I stopped because it worked so well. I am doing it again with lots of success.

It hard because carbs are everywhere and if you don't plan or you eat on the go they sneak back in. That's why you should always keep your diet in check.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    I have done weight watchers in the past which woried pretty well. This time round i am just trying to eat cleaner calories and use intermittent fasting. I think this is going to work well as its more of avlifestyle change rather than a diet other than reducing cal intake by 20%. I intend to keep doing If after loatbthe weight because i am enjoying the health benefits and will help me bulkbclean.
  • jesz124
    I'm so strange. I managed to get to a lovely size with Slimming World. I was so happy. Then I just went and ate everything in sight until I was a little porker again. I admit I was going through a rough situation at the time though and comfort ate so much. It was almost as though I had no control over what I put in my mouth and was never ever full. I used to eat until I was nearly sick. I think it was down to 7 months of doing Slimming World in honesty. I was so competitive and had to loose every week. I couldn't bare the thought of going to class and not loosing. I had to beat the other people there. Then when I stopped going I just ballooned again! lol what a screw up!!
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    I lost tons of weight on low carb before. I have no idea why I stopped because it worked so well. I am doing it again with lots of success.

Mmm... maybe you stopped because it wasn't a sustainable way of eating in the long term? I think the best lesson from these past weight loss and regain experiences might be that low carb isn't for you!
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    I'm so strange. I managed to get to a lovely size with Slimming World. I was so happy. Then I just went and ate everything in sight until I was a little porker again. I admit I was going through a rough situation at the time though and comfort ate so much. It was almost as though I had no control over what I put in my mouth and was never ever full. I used to eat until I was nearly sick. I think it was down to 7 months of doing Slimming World in honesty. I was so competitive and had to loose every week. I couldn't bare the thought of going to class and not loosing. I had to beat the other people there. Then when I stopped going I just ballooned again! lol what a screw up!!

You are not a screw up, its just how life hits us sometimes lol.

In my opinion Slimming World is one of the worst plans to follow. Yes you will lose loads of weight while doing it but as you return to normal your body can not help put put weight on. This is why with this particular system it is like a revolving door and people have to keep going back to lose again (I guess makes good econmic sense for the creator of the program=D). I know about half a dozen people that have had to do this plan several times, alot of them are changing it up now thank god.

I think the trouble is over a period of time on this system your body's metabolism can get slugish and this is why when you go back to normal it gos back on fairly quick. Its almost like it make you catabolic. When doing this diet to the extrem can mess with your hormones too and they play a big part on whether you can lose/gain.

At the end of the day it needs to be a lifestyle change rather than Diet-Eat-Diet.

This is just my opinion of course but hope it helps if only a little.
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    I put on about 45lbs a few years ago purely due to prolonged overindulgence. I was in an unhealthy relationship and we used to do a lot of eating out and drinking and I basically avoided the scales and told myself the washing machine must be shrinking my clothes! After I left the relationship, I took myself in hand, started eating less and moving more and weighed myself every day until I'd lost the weight again. I was at my fighting weight for a year or so then ended up on medication and started stuffing my face and avoiding the scales and - guess what - put back on all the weight I'd lost! I think the main thing I've learned is that the weight creeps back on when I start avoiding the scales, so when I hit my target weight I'll be still be weighing myself every day and continuing to log all my food on here.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    So, you want our stories of failure?
    What good is this?
    How about hearing about how some of us overcame failure to actually achieve our goals?
    Misery loves company; I get it.
    Yes, I have failed several times, and felt like quitting. I did not.
    I kept punching!:drinker:
    So should you. The road of success is paved with the stones of failure.
    Learn from your mistakes, gather your energies and move forward.
    Start with following the MFP recommendations for optinal health and lasting weight loss.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.:flowerforyou:

All Is Possible!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    @Bobby - excellent answer. Kudos, dude! :)