Bread...It's not all the same.

Options
Ayla70
Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
I don't eat a lot of bread, but would like to include a slice with my lunch occasionally so I don't get fed up with plain salad.

According to MFP, and I decided to use Coles brand just so I'm getting equal comparisons, one slice of:

White bread has 88 calories, 17 carbs, 3 protein and 1 fibre.
Wholemeal has 81 calories, 13 carbs, 3 protein and 2 fibre, and
Multigrain has 95 calories, 17 carbs, 3 protein and 2 fibre.

So what do I choose? What are the health benefits of choosing mulitgrain or wholemeal over white? I prefer white to wholemeal, just don't like wholemeal, but I like multigrain, which is quite a bit higher in calories.

At this stage of my weight loss, every calorie counts.

Replies

• Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    Well, from what I've heard (please, others with more knowledge, correct me), whole wheat and multigrain bread is better for you. White bread isn't terribly nutritious for you, though you can buy fortfied kinds. Whole grains are less processed, contain more nutrients, and have more fiber, which keeps you fuller longer and helps digestion. So it might be more calories now, but maybe it will curb your desire for an afternoon snack? I personally make my own whole-wheat oat bread (the whole wheat bread at my store runs $4-$5 a loaf!), and one slice of that is enough to keep my tummy full for quite awhile!
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed multigrain to be higher in calories because the grains themselves are denser than the flour surrounding (for lack of a better word) them. Is that extra gram of fibre worth it to you? Are the seven extra calories going to be a deal breaker? Personally I'd choose the multigrain as it's what I was brought up on and what I'm used to eating.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    15 calories extra for one slice of bread occasionally is really not a big deal- I know it seems like it is, but it's not. Go with the multigrain bread that you like, and up your exercise if you want to make up for it. At my weight, a 2.0 mph slow walk for 5 minutes will make up that difference. For most people on this site, your deficit is somewhere between 250 and 1000 calories, and 15 extra calories doesn't cut in to the deficit by much.

Now, if you were having 10 slices of bread a day and the difference was 150 cals, I might be inclined to pay more attention to it- but in the grand scheme of things- its a very small difference. For me, it's all about making lasting changes for the better that I can live with, and choosing foods that don't make me feel like I'm deprived or "dieting" makes a big difference in my ability to stick with the program for the long run.

And just a note, a slice of white bread here and there won't kill you- it just might not be the best possible nutritional choice. But really, the best BEST choice is the one that allows you to feel satiated and stick with your program. Lots of people on here lose weight and eat white bread. I personally have a bagel at least once a week, and wouldn't give it up or substitute it for some bagel-like health product for the world. Do whatever works for you. :smile:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I used to get sick of my salads every day for lunch, until I decided to try sandwiches for a week again. I didn't want to eat bread at 80 calories a slice, so I looked at my grocery store for a different bread and found Arnold's Sandwich Thins, they have a big variety of flavors (I have only tried the 100% Whole Wheat) and it's 100 calories both the top and bottom slice of bread and it actually tastes good!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    White bread is a simple carb. Whole grain/wheat is a complex carb.

Carbohydrates found in pasta, grains, vegetables, fruits, breads, cereals, rice, beans, sugar, candies, etc., are all of two basic types, complex and simple sugars. If a carbohydrate contains soluble fiber it is considered “complex” and is desirably absorbed more slowly. If a carbohydrate is lacking soluble fiber or is in other words a simple sugar, it will be absorbed quickly into the blood (only desirable when energy “sugar” is needed quickly). Prolonged eating behavior that centers around the ingestion of these simple sugars can lead to metabolic disorders such as Hypoglycemia and Type II Diabetes; both of which are relative to blood sugar levels and contribute to mood swings, depression, and several other mental impairments. Simply insuring that each time you eat, you consume at least one food that offers a soluble fiber source can reduce the likelihood of these occurrences. All natural complex carbohydrates are sources of soluble fiber. While discussing fiber, it is also appropriate to explain the role of insoluble fiber as well. Insoluble fiber is not digestible. Insoluble fiber absorbs water from the small intestines, and then passes on to the large intestine using these fluids to allow for smooth passage and excretion of wastes. A diet lacking in insoluble fiber will reduce the efficiency of waste excretion. The longer wastes are in digestion, the greater the absorption of “toxic” fluids. These fluids contain bacteria, toxins, and carcinogens, which end up in the bloodstream and have been connected to several types of cancers, and other metabolic disorders. When you are looking for a source of insoluble fiber, look for the word “BRAN” on food labels. It is important to note that you will know when you are eating too much insoluble fiber when you are experiencing stomach cramps within about 20 to 30 minutes after eating. - NFPT
  • Ayla70
    Options
    I used to get sick of my salads every day for lunch, until I decided to try sandwiches for a week again. I didn't want to eat bread at 80 calories a slice, so I looked at my grocery store for a different bread and found Arnold's Sandwich Thins, they have a big variety of flavors (I have only tried the 100% Whole Wheat) and it's 100 calories both the top and bottom slice of bread and it actually tastes good!

I've seen sandwich thins advertised here in Australia. I'll check out the calories in them, it might be ok for a treat occasionally :)
  • Ayla70
    Options

Carbohydrates found in pasta, grains, vegetables, fruits, breads, cereals, rice, beans, sugar, candies, etc., are all of two basic types, complex and simple sugars. If a carbohydrate contains soluble fiber it is considered “complex” and is desirably absorbed more slowly. If a carbohydrate is lacking soluble fiber or is in other words a simple sugar, it will be absorbed quickly into the blood (only desirable when energy “sugar” is needed quickly). Prolonged eating behavior that centers around the ingestion of these simple sugars can lead to metabolic disorders such as Hypoglycemia and Type II Diabetes; both of which are relative to blood sugar levels and contribute to mood swings, depression, and several other mental impairments. Simply insuring that each time you eat, you consume at least one food that offers a soluble fiber source can reduce the likelihood of these occurrences. All natural complex carbohydrates are sources of soluble fiber. While discussing fiber, it is also appropriate to explain the role of insoluble fiber as well. Insoluble fiber is not digestible. Insoluble fiber absorbs water from the small intestines, and then passes on to the large intestine using these fluids to allow for smooth passage and excretion of wastes. A diet lacking in insoluble fiber will reduce the efficiency of waste excretion. The longer wastes are in digestion, the greater the absorption of “toxic” fluids. These fluids contain bacteria, toxins, and carcinogens, which end up in the bloodstream and have been connected to several types of cancers, and other metabolic disorders. When you are looking for a source of insoluble fiber, look for the word “BRAN” on food labels. It is important to note that you will know when you are eating too much insoluble fiber when you are experiencing stomach cramps within about 20 to 30 minutes after eating. - NFPT

I saw a show discussing soluble and insoluble fibre recently. One thing MFP is good for is pointing out exactly where you're lacking in certain things. I'm taking a fibre supplement these days. I'm still not sure how much better the wholemeal/multigrain products are over white given the fibre count isn't that much higher.
  • sharon021169
    Options
    I usually have either Warbutons "thins" or Warburton "square wraps" as a change from bread. Slightly more nutritional than bread but just as filling.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I dont eat bread much at all anymore but when I do, I prefer ezekial 4.9 sprouted grain cinnamon raisin

you can get it at Trader Joes or WHole Foods or some of the big chain stores have it in the freezer
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like tapioca bread, ener g brand has some that's 45 calories a slice.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I don't eat bread, but on occasion my husband does. We keep a loaf of the regular Ezekiel 4.9 sprouted bread in the freezer for him. It is a great source of high fiber, high protein whole grain. There are no preservatives or sweeteners in their breads. Trader Joe's has the best price around here.
  • jeannielbarnett
    jeannielbarnett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found Sarah Lee 45 calories multigrain bread. It says right on the label "45 calories & delicious" and it really is the best bread I've ever had. Maybe you could try that!
  • Ayla70
    Options
    Sorry guys...I live in Australia. We basically get 'wholemeal', 'white', multigrain', or 'hi fibre white'.

Oh...and turkish bread. OMG I love turkish bread!!!
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Higher fiber content usually means fewer calories. Multi-grain is a sort of trick because it sounds like it means fiber, but it really just means the bread is made from several plants aside from the usual wheat.

The best I've ever seen is 45 or 50 calories per slice, in varieties of whole wheat or in white with added fiber.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Both are full of starch which is a complex carb. Glucose is a simple carb. Clue - the size of the molecule determines whether it's simple or complex.