What to take for energy before a workout?

Options
I've tried oxyelite and man those are crazy. I like they they give me energy but there's 2 reasons why I don't want to take them. 1. They are really expensive 2. I'm scared I might get addicted. Any other energy boosting ideas before working out? When I don't a those pills I get really lazy and tired fast.

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Food? Pretty sure calories are a unit of energy, so try eating a snack like 30 minutes before a workout or something >.<
  • MarkAWhipple
    MarkAWhipple Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning before eating, right after waking up. I just drink some water.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    MusclePharm Assault
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    A banana, 30-45 minutes before. Also, you might just need to get more sleep.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen lol
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    A good night's sleep and plenty of nutritious food usually does the trick for me.
  • usera1365
    usera1365 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Jack 3D. Pre Workout drink
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    A banana, 30-45 minutes before. Also, you might just need to get more sleep.

I agree
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    A banana, 30-45 minutes before.

Agreed. I eat a banana on my way to the gym from work (I have an hour commute) and it really helps me in the energy dept. Yesterday I didn't eat my banana and I felt the difference...even if its all in my head I made sure to bring my banana today :bigsmile:
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I have Carnation instant breakfast-chocolate or vanilla made with 8oz of milk, coffee and on the way to the gym which is a half hour ride for me I have water with a Kashi protein bar. My trainer will not let me train if I have not eaten before training. I also have water and a Kashi Protein bar after I train. Your body is going to want protein. .
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen lol

My friends and I refer to this as Vitamin "I" :laugh:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    What sort of 'workouts' are you thinking of doing? Just wondering why you think you'll need anything other than nutritious food?
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen lol

Yep
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Food? Pretty sure calories are a unit of energy, so try eating a snack like 30 minutes before a workout or something >.<

I go to the gym at like 3:30 am, so this theory doesn't apply for everyone.

I usually take a 5 Hour Energy shot before my workout. It gives me with ZING without the jitters. They aren't too expensive, but the cost does add up.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a bodybuilding fitness freak then good high energy food is all you need.

I agree a banana, or some nuts and seeds at least half an hour before exercise and plenty of water...

It all comes down to good nutrition, hydration and enough sleep. Chemicals, pills and supplements will then be unnecessary!!
    Jules xx
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Jack 3D. Pre Workout drink

Jack 3d is great. No xplode is good for heavy weight workouts, but jack 3 d works for that and cardio.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Steroids and cocaine....

WTF? seriously, just eat....
  • BarbACona
    BarbACona Posts: 76
    Options
    I rarely eat before I walk/jog. I get up early and drink some water then go. I don't eat until I get back, but yeah just eat a little something. If you're working out hard have something with carbs and maybe some protein. Toast with peanut butter or an egg. Good luck and don't give up!
  • sweetmusiq4me
    Options
    Periodically, I use Sambazon's Organic All Natural Amazon Energy drink. It comes in an Acai Berry flavor and has 80 mg of caffeine (so be careful......it could easily have you bouncing off the walls, or off the treadmill!) What I love about it is it is low in caloric value, but has quite a few healthy ingredients. Sometimes, it is the one thing that I can get in my system effortlessly when it is too early to eat and it sustains me through my workouts. You can purchase these from Wal-Mart, Target, & other retail locations. See below for more info: http://www.sambazon.com/product/amazon-energy-original/