Early morning running - when to eat?

Options
So, I've signed up for a RunKeeper fitness class - beginner to marathon in 16 weeks (we'll see!). My plan is to get up and go for an early morning run before I have to wake up the rest of the family for work and school.

I was hoping to get up and pretty much go straight out running - is this advisable? If so, should I eat first, or should I eat more the night before?

Replies

• annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What you do is kind of a personal preference. I only eat before if I'm going 6+ miles. Up until that I'll be fine just drinking some water. When I do eat it's usually a bagel 1-2 hours before I go.

I do my long runs on the weekends, so I let my dogs out at 5:30, eat, then go back to sleep for an hour or so and then run. I don't do well when I eat right before a long run.

Basically you have to try things out and see what works for you.

Good luck with your training!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been getting up at 6:30 am to run, and I don't eat before hand.. I always eat after.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    It will depend on what works best for you.
    I never ever eat before.
  • arnoldp6
    arnoldp6 Posts: 31
    Options
    I've worked out in the morning for a few years now, but prefer not to eat before I run. I usually drink about 12oz of water before hitting the pavement, but try not to chug it all at once. I used to have early morning rowing practices at 5am and wouldn't be home until 8ish. To keep my stomach from rumbling I'd eat a few almonds before I went. The protein kept me from feeling hungry but it was light enough that I didn't feel sick during the work out. Best of luck on your marathon!
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    I've done it both ways, and you have to base it on your experiences, but I have some fruit, apple or banana before I run
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I drink some coffee and water about an hour before I run. I eat after the run.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    2 eggo waffles with jelly is my breakfast of choice. If it's over a 10 mile run I add in some OJ. Then I have either GU, sports beans, or something before if it's a race that is over 10k.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I usually run in the early morning (3-5 miles) and I never eat before. The few times I have, it has make me sick.

I ran late at night a couple of days ago (6 miles), and I had eated dinner 3 hours before. I had to stop and get sick on the side of the road after the 3rd mile. I definitely do better with nothing in my stomach.

But everyone is different, so you just have to find what works for you.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That's what I do. I get up at 5:00 am, get dressed, have a couple sips of water (to get rid of the cotton mouth), then head out. I hate running on a full stomach.

When I get back I have a greek yogurt and a bunch of water.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I usually have a large glass of water or a protein shake before I run, and then eat a good breakfast when I am finished. Just don't like to run after eating a big meal.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've never eatten before any of my workouts-I push myself so if I eat first, I feel like I'm going to get sick half way through my workouts. See how you do the first day without food then maybe try the next day with food if you feel like you were lacking
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't do well eating a full meal right before an intense workout, but I have more energy throughout if I eat something that is calorie dense (i.e. 1/2 c. granola and 1/4 c. milk, or a handful of almonds and some fruit, etc...). That way, I have plenty of calories to keep my energy up, but I haven't eaten a large quantity so I don't feel sluggish.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    When I run early (~6 am/5k distance), I take some time to wake up, have a few cups of coffee, then go. I can't eat anything that early in the morning.

For later morning runs (if I've been up a number of hours already), I'll usually have something small or else I find I don't have much energy.

Experiment and see what works for you. Stay hydrated though!
  • Kira2Raiyn
    Kira2Raiyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get super lightheaded and have even passed out if I try to do any more than 20 minutes of activity on an empty stomach. I eat some cereal, toast, oatmeal or fruit before I go running. I find that if I keep the food simple, I don't have any upset stomach problems and my run is happy.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal or a bagel every morning before I run, regardless of distance. It's usually a little more than an hour before my feet hit the street. I also have to have a cup of black coffee to get things moving.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I can't run on a full stomach. If you're not going to eat right before running (and I wouldn't, personally), I'd make sure you have some form of carbohydrates the night before.

Definitely experiment, definitely keep yourself hydrated continually
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was JUST going to ask this question literally. I've read that 1st thing cardio on an open stomach is optimal for fat loss since your glycogen has been depleted over night. I'm not sure HOW true this is but I plan on doing a 5:15 am run tomorrow on empty.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    So, I've signed up for a RunKeeper fitness class - beginner to marathon in 16 weeks (we'll see!). My plan is to get up and go for an early morning run before I have to wake up the rest of the family for work and school.

I was hoping to get up and pretty much go straight out running - is this advisable? If so, should I eat first, or should I eat more the night before?

I did this every morning (5 of 7 days of the week) and did just fine. I just made sure to eat something light when I got back before i got in the shower and made sure to drink lots of water as well. Then after showered and ready for work I would make myself something like an egg white omlet or oatmeal.
    I think it is a matter of preference. Try it both ways and see what works best for you.
  • kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    I pesonally have a chai tea latte (caffeine, sugar and protein) before I run in the morning. If I run without having something, I feel hungry and lack energy. I also grab a 90-120 calorie cereal bar if I'm not running until mid-morning. But, it is an individual preference and will be impacted by how far you are running as well. Good Luck
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I run so much better on empty IF it's first thing in the morning, like between 5:30 and 7. Anytime after that and I've got nothing to offer. My body has realized it's hungry and if I don't feed it and hydrate it, I get stitches in my side and just literally can't function. So weird. So, if I can't hit my window, I have to wait at least 90 minutes to two hours after I eat. I do drink water while I'm running. I've also found that every day is a little bit different so you just have to play around with it and figure out what works for you.