What is it about running?

Options
I am currently doing the C25K program and have my first 5K in a week. I am still not to the point where running has become therapy or this amazing experience. I still dread it. I really want to be a runner but wonder when the "ah-ha" moment will come...any thoughts?

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It's probably different for everyone. For me, back when I was a runner, it would come about 2 miles into a run where suddenly I realized that I wasn't thinking about anything hurting or whatever I had to do next in my day but I was just floating along watching my body work like a machine. When the run was done, I would feel completely amazing, but the first bit of the run was always harder for me. Eventually, I think you just get into a groove where your body takes over and your mind is free to meditate.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    ah-ha moment for me came when i participated in my first race. i competed in an 8k (yes i know a long race) that benefited toys for tots. it was a closed course to spectators but the military cheered us on. seeing these men and women high fiving us just for running, knowing everything they do for us made me realize running is amazing! i can do this. :) my suggestion pick a race something that benefits a charity you support or admire. trust me you'll get your ah-ha moment.
    I am currently doing the C25K program and have my first 5K in a week. I am still not to the point where running has become therapy or this amazing experience. I still dread it. I really want to be a runner but wonder when the "ah-ha" moment will come...any thoughts?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    the first part of my runs are always the hardest too then like magic i just go along. :)
    It's probably different for everyone. For me, back when I was a runner, it would come about 2 miles into a run where suddenly I realized that I wasn't thinking about anything hurting or whatever I had to do next in my day but I was just floating along watching my body work like a machine. When the run was done, I would feel completely amazing, but the first bit of the run was always harder for me. Eventually, I think you just get into a groove where your body takes over and your mind is free to meditate.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I still struggle to get started wi most of my runs. My moment comes apx 1.5 miles into my runs. I feel like I can go forever. I didn't love it till after my first goofy challenge when I realized if you believe you will achieve. Not sure how else I could get through 39.3 miles.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It came about 9 months after I started running... before that usually about a mile into my run I would feel better like I could run forever. But the truly wanting to go out and run was about 9 months after I started...what kept me going was how my body was feeling/looking after running.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    you ran 39.9 MILES! WOW! amazing - i'm competing in color me rad this weekend. :) (based on your pic i assume you ran it)
    I still struggle to get started wi most of my runs. My moment comes apx 1.5 miles into my runs. I feel like I can go forever. I didn't love it till after my first goofy challenge when I realized if you believe you will achieve. Not sure how else I could get through 39.3 miles.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It definitely took me a while before I was excited to go on runs. The first 1-2 miles usually sucks for me, but once I get in a rhythm then it's all good. And runner's high is real and awesome.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I dread running and absolutely hate the first 1-1.5 miles of it. Every time, I just wonder why I'm doing it, I hate it, it's uncomfortable, it's tiring, and I'd really rather be lifting weights, eating food, or doing about a million different things.

After the first 1-1.5 miles something clicks, my thoughts stop, my body falls into a rhythm, and I feel like I could go on forever, and best of all I _want_ to go on forever.
    I've been running off and on for several years including track in high school. For some people the love/hate relationship is for life, and I know that I will never look forward to a run.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I hate running.I run 2-4 miles every weekday because I know it's good for me. I hate doing it though. There has never been an ah-ha moment for me.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I read an article to smile when you run. I think attitude is everything. If you are telling yourself you love every moment of it you are more likely to think that way. Be proud of yourself, look at the strengths you have gained. The shape in your leg the muscles you can feel. Relaxing in the run is totally important if you are thinking too much about what you don't like it will consume you. If you are proud of being out there running loving it cuz you can and someone else can't or won't you should be happy about it. Wave at people that pass, smile, dance to you music and just tell yourself you love the run.
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone in absolutely hating those first couple of miles. But like everyone else said after that it stops hurting, I still feel it but not in an oh my God kill me now way, more of a feeling of what my body can accomplish if that makes sense. For me the enjoyment comes from seeing what my body is capable of and feeling it get stronger. Not many 200+ women can run a 5k in less than 35 minutes and that in itself makes me enjoy doing it.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Why do you really want to be a runner if you don't like running?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 4 of C25K.. and I never ever thought I'd love to run.. but alas I do.

There is just something so freeing about getting out there in nature and running... you notice different things running outside then you do walking outside.

I used to run around our local lake but today I took a different route where it was just me, the birds and a random rabbit or two.. and it was wonderful.
  • JessicaLG23
    Options
    Why do you really want to be a runner if you don't like running?

because everyone that is a runner says that it is great "therapy" and that they feel good after/during doing it. I want to develop a love for it because I know it is good for me...I guess I just needed a little motivation.
  • erinn_leigh
    Options
    I can't explain it...

I did the Couch-to-5K back in 2000, and shortly after finishing I had a lot come up in my life and drifted away from it. I've tried several times since then to get back into it, but life was always so nuts.

I finally decided I didn't care how nuts life was. I was in the middle of a really, REALLY bad cold when I started the C25K again this time. I get up at 5:25 a.m., M-W-F, while my husband and kids are still sleeping, and go get it done. And I love it. Tomorrow I'm on W6 D3, the 25 minute run. No more intervals! And I am signed up for my first 5K on September 22.

It's just a part of me.
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I'm with everyone else here... the first 1-2 miles really sucks. I really dread starting up my run, knowing that I will be at it for at least half an hour. I just tell myself that I'll go for 20 minutes and then I can stop, but by the time I get up to 20 minutes, I've reached that stage where I feel like I can run forever. It works every time! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't really enjoy training runs and probably never will. They are something I do because I love what it does for my fitness and my self-esteem and I love running in races. I can't run the races if I don't do the training runs. I'm always signed up for another race to keep me motivated.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I hate running.I run 2-4 miles every weekday because I know it's good for me. I hate doing it though. There has never been an ah-ha moment for me.

This is me, exactly. I only run because it's a good cross trainer for my cycling.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I look forward to my runs now...I didn't at all when I first started about a year ago. The first couple of miles are the hardest and then you get into the run and it just kind of takes over. The last step is the most satisfying though! I have never run and felt at the end I wish I wouldn't have done it...I ALWAYS feel good at the end.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    At 5:15 in the morning, running is the most efficient workout for me so I do it. I have gotten to points in runs where I felt I could go on for ever. I have also made great gains in fitness and my running times that I have even considered training for half marathons or marathons, and then I remember that I don't really like to run, it is just an efficient workout. I run mostly on treadmills so I will frequently vary the workout. If I start out well, I will maintain the run. If I am feeling a little off, I will run for 3, walk for 2, change the pace, all types of things to break up the boredom. So my ahah moments, are ahah - I would rather be playing tennis, but can't find a 5:30 am tennis partner.