Why You Should NEVER Use BMI

Options
I judge my UGW based on my current lean mass + a certain BF%. I was going by 15%, but decided that I should slow it down a bit and increased that number for a "One-step-at-a-time" goal. Once I've built up my fitness, then I'll aim for a lower BF%.

So I did the numbers. A healthy, relatively inactive male should have a BF% of 18-25%. 21% is half way in between, so I chose that as my goal.

I got the numbers from here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

I currently have a BF% of about 35%. At 223 lbs, that makes my lean mass around 144 lbs. Put on enough fat to make it 21% fat, and my UGW is 179 lbs.

Well, I'm 6' tall. I checked out the BMI scale, and at that weight, I will be hitting 24.27.

"Overweight" is higher than 24.9.

Now, here's the thing: If I put on 2 lbs of muscle before I reach my UGW, I'll be 185 lbs, which is considered "overweight," but it'll be less healthy for me to try to achieve a lower BF% so quickly!

I will ultimately aim for a BF% of 10-15%, but by that time, I'll have put on a lot more muscle, I will probably still be around 180lbs.

So, for those of you who believe that you need to have a low BMI in order to be healthy, or sexy/attractive, you may want to think again. The BMI scale is flawed.

Oh, and I should note: I could make my BMI lower, but I'd have to lose lean mass. For those who aren't in the "know," that would be a very, very bad idea. You want more lean mass, not less. Lean mass being your muscles, bones, and organs.

Edit: Added the link.

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I am a 5'7" female, with a current BMI of 22.6 at 145 lbs. My lean mass is 112 lbs (22.2% body fat; "fitness" range for women). The BMI scale says that anything between 118 and 160 is healthy for someone my height and age. With 112 lbs of lean mass, if I got down to 118 lbs, my body fat percentage would be 5%. For a women, 10-12% is considered "essential fats," i.e. what you need to survive (athletes should have 14-20%). So 5% would be... well, dead. So yeah, according to the BMI scale, I'd be totally healthy if I were dead.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It isn't flawed; you're using it wrong. BMI is meant to track an average over a large population.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It isn't flawed; you're using it wrong. BMI is meant to track an average over a large population.

That is exactly the point though. People look at that as a guideline of where they should be, when in actuality it varies WIDELY by individual, and the guidelines it gives would be incredibly unhealthy for some people. Anything that considers the majority of body builders to be obese should probably not be used as a guideline when setting individual fitness goals.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    That is exactly the point though. People look at that as a guideline of where they should be, when in actuality it varies WIDELY by individual, and the guidelines it gives would be incredibly unhealthy for some people. Anything that considers the majority of body builders to be obese should probably not be used as a guideline when setting individual fitness goals.
    Saying BMI is flawed is incorrect. It simply isn't meant for your purposes. My vacuum cleaner isn't flawed because it doesn't mop the floors as well, it's just the wrong tool.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Saying BMI is flawed is incorrect. It simply isn't meant for your purposes. My vacuum cleaner isn't flawed because it doesn't mop the floors as well, it's just the wrong tool.

OK, so I made one error in the bottom of my post, stating that it was flawed. the rest of my post is valid. I see a lot of people on here who use it as a guideline on how heavy they should be.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but body builders and elite athletes are not part of the average population. By the time someone is in that category they do not need an instrument for the average population as a guideline. Look around you--the average person is overweight or obese. many will read this and say--well BMI means nothing--I'm just big boned and not obese.
    It is not pleasant t look at the chart and see that you are obese--but it is a wake up call. It is frustrating to lose weight and still be considered overweight. For those of you who are elite fit, you are at the point where the number on the scale means less than your body fat %.
    BUT the average person should not toss out BMI because it gives a large range of what is considered healthy. To just toss it out is to stay in denial.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    OK, so I made one error in the bottom of my post, stating that it was flawed. the rest of my post is valid. I see a lot of people on here who use it as a guideline on how heavy they should be.
    I wasn't arguing with the rest of the post.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I'm sorry but body builders and elite athletes are not part of the average population. By the time someone is in that category they do not need an instrument for the average population as a guideline. Look around you--the average person is overweight or obese. many will read this and say--well BMI means nothing--I'm just big boned and not obese.
    It is not pleasant t look at the chart and see that you are obese--but it is a wake up call. It is frustrating to lose weight and still be considered overweight. For those of you who are elite fit, you are at the point where the number on the scale means less than your body fat %.
    BUT the average person should not toss out BMI because it gives a large range of what is considered healthy. To just toss it out is to stay in denial.

That is true, but there are a decent number of people who are like me. Even at a healthy weight, I would be considered overweight, regardless of what I do. If I were to go by the BMI, I would be setting myself up with unhealthy and unrealistic goals.

BF% says a lot more about someone's health than the BMI chart does.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options

You made another error by using such a sensational title.

Why you should NEVER use BMI

Never?
    Never ever?
    In any circumstance?
    Or just you, and your body in your circumstances?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Exactly ... it's a good tool for an average individual who is just trying to stay healthy ... if your goal is muscle building and fine tuning, you have moved beyond a general tool like BMI. However I have seen plenty of people around me who are not exercising, overweight, and telling me that they are healthy because the BMI scale is a joke. Really? ... no.
    For those of you who are elite fit, you are at the point where the number on the scale means less than your body fat %.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Except that the OP gave a very specific example of how he, an average person, would be UNHEALTHY if he used the BMI to set his personal health goals.

In the last 10 years, I've had multiple doctors tell me to ignore the BMI when it comes to my health. It is, as another poster said, meant for LARGE SCALE observations, not INDIVIDUAL goals. Your health is individual to your own body mass, and the BMI just isn't equipped to account for that.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options

You made another error by using such a sensational title.

Why you should NEVER use BMI

Never?
    Never ever?
    In any circumstance?
    Or just you, and your body in your circumstances?

Agreed. I don't know what it is about some people on here who think me= everyone.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

You will be very suprised how much Lean Muscle you lose when you lose weight. It is very hard to drop 30+ lbs and keep all your lean body mass. I would exspect you to drop about 3-5 lbs from that number meaning you might want to readjust you calculations.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I'm not in denial. I AM OVERWEIGHT. I am not big boned and nor do I think my frame is just "larger than normal."

I don't think that was what the OP was going for. I don't think he was trying to justify his weight because he couldn't face it. Like another poster said, he wasn't using the right tool.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think you are right. I think the BMI is pretty crap when it comes to males and may be too generous when it comes to females. At 5'5" when I was 150 my BMI was 25..right at overweight. I would consider that fair. If I stayed at 150 I might be considered slightly overweight but still healthy.
    I do not think of a man who is 5'5" and 150 lbs as overweight at all! Women's and men's bodies differ so much in muscle mass, bone structure, and fat distribution I think it is pretty worthless to compare us with the same numbers.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

This^^^^^^
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    The body mass indicator is something I use for a certain population of individuals.

The very overweight and the very underweight.

The generally healthy range is >19 and <25...

HOWEVER, it should also take into account muscle mass and level of activity.

As a professional, the BMI is a good indicator of classes of obesity as well as malnourished/underweight populations.

if I have a patient that has a BMI of 26, but is generally healthy, gets exercise and eats a healthy diet, that person is not necessarily a nutritionally at risk or "overweight" person...maybe it's just their body type. It is useful for some things-not for most dieters unless you are in that obesity category (BMI >30)
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

This :)
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options

WHAT! Physicians use the BMI tool to gauge health! Dumb!

Take this as another example, a major US company is making it mandatory for any employee that has a BMI as overweight to take nutrition classes!!! What is next firing someone for a high BMI because the healthcare/ insurance companies view someone as unhealthy and a liability. I am not talking about highly overweight folks here. I am talking someone like me. I am 5'3 and weigh 136. I am about in the low 20's for BF but just under the overweight category by BMI standards.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Except that the OP gave a very specific example of how he, an average person, would be UNHEALTHY if he used the BMI to set his personal health goals.

In the last 10 years, I've had multiple doctors tell me to ignore the BMI when it comes to my health. It is, as another poster said, meant for LARGE SCALE observations, not INDIVIDUAL goals. Your health is individual to your own body mass, and the BMI just isn't equipped to account for that.

This is exactly what I was going for. How many people do you know can be considered "average"? In my office, I would say, perhaps 60%, yet anywhere you go on the internet, it's saying that everyone is average.

If everyone was supposedly average, and went by the BMI, they'd be putting themselves in danger, as I would be.