Simple Vegetable Recipes

Options
170isthin
170isthin Posts: 45 Member
Anyone have favorite easy vegetable recipes for a non-vegetable eater who wants to get more vegetables into her day?

Replies

• emmarangel
    emmarangel Posts: 19
    Options
    Well, squash is very good and tastes amazing when it's grilled or steamed. One of the ways I make it is to put just a touch of olive oil (or canola) into your saute pan and slice, dice or however you want to cut it, add a touch of salt & pepper and saute it.

Another idea is zucchini cakes. Shred about 2 cups of zucchini (or any other squash), put the shredded zucchini between paper towels or a clean dish towel and squeeze out the excess water. In a bowl beat an egg, add the squash along with a tsp of salt and pepper, fresh parsley (if you like), garlic powder (whatever spices you like) and 2 tbsp of shredded parmesean cheese. Mix all together. Spray a saute pan with cooking spray. Get a 2/3 measuring cup and fill the measuring cup with the zucchini mixture. Empty the measuring cup into the saute pan and slightly press down on the zucchini patty. Do this with the remaining mix. Cook on medium-low until they're browned. You can also put these on a cookie sheet and cook in the oven instead on about 400. These are very flavorful and good for you. Enjoy!
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Simple preparation wise? Or simple as in only a few ingredients?

Preparation wise, I have a rice cooker with a steamer basket so I usually throw in 2-3 vegetables in the steamer basket when I cook quinoa/lentils or something with a 15 minute cook time. I usually eat them plain, or sometimes sprinkle onion powder or sea salt but it would be easy to sprinkle some mrs. dash or something like that on top.

A fast/yummy addition to any meal is wilted spinach;
    In a skillet on medium heat put in about a tablespoon of olive oil and a minced clove of garlic and throw in fresh spinach (about 2 cups) it will wilt down and tastes great with just about anything. You could also make mushrooms the same way just add sliced mushrooms to olive oil and garlic.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    My favorite, super easy, go-to lunch:

Mince up a couple of ounces of lean protein (leftover grilled chicken, pork, fish, shrimp, whatever you have handy). Make it tiny (1/4 inch or so, like you would for a small toddler). Toss it in a food container and dump in about 2 cups of frozen veggies (whatever you like best. I usually use a stir fry mix and then add extra veggies from single veggie bags). Sprinkle on 1 TBSP chia seeds and 1-2 TBSP of a low fat/fat free dressing or marinade (sometimes I skip the dressing and just sprinkle on a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and herbs).

I bring it to work with me and microwave it for 90 seconds, shake it up with the cover on, and then cook another 60-90 seconds. Super easy, takes about 2 minutes to prepare and another couple minutes to cook, and it tastes great. Mincing the meat so tiny means that you get some in every bite, even though your total portion is small - so it seems like you're eating much more. In addition, the chia seeds help you to feel full longer.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Oh, and I also second the spinach suggestion! I always have a bag of frozen chopped spinach handy and I dump it in everything. My 7 year old has even been known to say, "How about if we add a little spinach to that to make it healthier?" :o)
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Grilled Veggies! Quick and tasty: Zucchini, Peppers, Onions, Asparagus, Mushrooms etc. etc. Some vegie salt, pepper, and a touch of EVOO.

Roasted Veggies! Exactly the same as above but in the oven on a baking sheet (try brussel sprouts in the winter months).

And in the summer my all time favorite: Tomatoes and Cucumbers chopped, add EVOO, Vinegar, Salt & Pepper
  • SurrenderToNothing
    Options
    I'm ADDICTED to steaming veggies. Absolutely love it. My two favourite and really simple recipes are steamed broccoli, lightly salted with a drizzle of either sesame seed or walnut oil and carrots with ginger and honey. Both really nice- especially the carrots, if you're looking for something a little sweeter.
  • wendy1024
    wendy1024 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    well, my husband hates veggies but when I serve them with tomato sauce (1/4 cup) and a bit of parm. cheese (1TBS or less), he likes them...it doesn't add too many calories but if sodium is a concern look for lower sodium tomato sauce. It works well with brocolli, zuchinni, mushrooms, eggplant, peppers, and probably others...
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    10 oz of brussel sprouts
    pam spray
    1 garlic clove
    cracked black pepper
    lemon juice

spray pan with pam spray, brown garlic, toss sprouts 2 tsp of lemon juice and cracked black pepper and add to pan. sautee on medium heat - i like to burn them! (this also works great with cauliflower!!)

10 oz spinach
    1 garlic clove
    fat free ricotta cheese
    pam spray

spray pan with pam spray, brown garlic. sautee spinach. add ricotta at the end and sautee until melted and mixed

enjoy!!