Ladies-How heavy do YOU lift??

Options
I've been lifting for about 2 months now and am seeing some changes, but not sure what else to add in to get what I want. I've read a bunch of library books and I purchased a home gym from Sears. I've heard that ladies won't 'bulk' up as men do since they don't have the testosterone, so how heavy can one girl lift and get fit? I've been increasing as it seems to get easier with the weights, but I don't know how heavy I can go. According to the machine I use, it says as of now I'm lifting 69 pounds...but is it considered lifting since I'm not using free weights?

Here's what I have for my circuit training if it makes a difference.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/pro-8900-weight-system/p/23D24411FEA0D1545003?q=weider+pro8900&lpq=weider pro8900&qpvt=weider+pro8900&FORM=HURE

Replies

• dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In general, weights lifted using a machine will be higher than those done with free weights, because the machine mechanism is aiding you in part of the lift. That's not to take away the benefit of using the machine, it's just the reality. By example: I do one arm bent over rows with a 35 lb dumbbell; on a Hammerstrength machine I'm 'lifting' 60 lbs an arm. There is NO WAY I can do a bent over row with 60 lbs right now; the machine skews what I can lift.

Also, different muscle groups are engaged in different lifts, so there would (should) be different weights used for different exercises. My squat is 125, my deadlift is 120, my barbell bench is 70, but my dumbbell bench uses 30s. These are 'heavier' than I see other women in the gym doing, but not as heavy as I used to go. My squats were @ 155 until I did something to my hamstring in a non-sport related activity, so I was off lifting for awhile. Same with my bench - I was up to 85, then had some surgery, so I'm starting over.

But now that I'm on the routine again, I can see myself easly achieving my former lifting weights, then rocketing past them.

And no, I don't look like Arnold.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump -

I don't have my record book with me but I will try and get some numbers up after lunch.
  • higgins09cait
    Options
    I LOVE lifting! Majority of the time, I'm the only girl in the gym and it empowers me! I love "hanging with the guys." For me, lifting heavy weights is an adrenaline rush. I am on a lifting plan where I do legs on monday, shoulders/abs on tuesday, chest on wednesday, back/abs on thursday, and biceps/triceps on friday. All my lifting uses free weights. Machine's are resistance oriented and to me, you dont get the full affect. The only "machine" I use is the cables and lat pulldown bar. Oh, I also use the pullup and dip machine which is my FAVORITE. It's fun to watch yourself increase weight and see muscles popping out. You are not going to look like a guy, trust me. You'll look like a toned woman. Our bodies wont do that, they cant.
  • aleka1961
    aleka1961 Posts: 18
    Options
    test
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've heard that ladies won't 'bulk' up as men do since they don't have the testosterone, so how heavy can one girl lift and get fit?

Heavy is a relative term. What is heavy to you? Can you lift the same weight more than 10-12 times? If so you need to add more weight. You will not grow big muscles, just improve your metabolism, increase bone density, burn calories, and look awesome.

This might interest you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/593973-women-lifters-survey
  • bethiepoo30
    Options
    Hack Squat - 360
    Leg Press - 540
    Chest Press - 135-150
    Butterfly - 135-150
    Shoulder Press - 120
    Overhead Row - 140
    Leg Adductor - 200

Those are just some of the sets that I do. I've always been a strong gal. For some reference here, I'm 5'11'' and 201 pounds. I used to weigh 316.5. I'm working towards a full, unassisted pull-up.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hack Squat - 360
    Leg Press - 540
    Chest Press - 135-150
    Butterfly - 135-150
    Shoulder Press - 120
    Overhead Row - 140
    Leg Adductor - 200

Those are just some of the sets that I do. I've always been a strong gal. For some reference here, I'm 5'11'' and 201 pounds. I used to weigh 316.5. I'm working towards a full, unassisted pull-up.

WoW!! That IS impressive!!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Does it really make a big difference if it is a circuit machine or free weights? You're still pulling the weight youself, and I can also add a resistance band to my machine, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Does it really make a big difference if it is a circuit machine or free weights?

Free weights include the work of additional stabilizer muscles to keep your balance and form and it does translate more to real world activities. That said, there's nothing to be ashamed of with the weights from machines. Your bicep doesn't know the difference between a dumbbell and a weighted cable. Resistance is resistance.

I use a mix of free weights and machines. Machines are great for helping you keep control and proper form and it's easier to vary the load on machines. Multi use machines like yours are really nice. Use it all you can.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    For reference DB is for dumbbells and BB is for barbells.

3x12
    DB bench row - 30 lbs
    DB shoulder press - 25 lbs
    BB shoulder press - 50-60 lbs
    BB Step Ups - 40 lbs
    BB Skull Crushers - 35 lbs
    BB Front Raise 20-25 lbs
    BB Bicep Curls - 35 lbs
    DB Lateral Raises - 12.5 (Less reps I can do 15-17.5)
    Lat Pull Down - 60-70 lbs (depends on machine)
    Read Delts (cable) - 25 lbs
    Cable tricep pull downs - 35 lbs
    Seated Cable Row - 60 lbs
    Leg Press - 250 lbs
    DB or BB Walking Lunges - 40 lbs (total)
    Squats - 115 lbs
    Leg Extensions - 80 lbs
    Prone Leg Curl - 60 lbs

I was bench pressing about 80 lbs and I've maxed out at 100 lbs. I haven't benched in awhile so I don't know if I can do that same weight or not.

This is all I can think of for now.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Does it really make a big difference if it is a circuit machine or free weights?

Free weights include the work of additional stabilizer muscles to keep your balance and form and it does translate more to real world activities. That said, there's nothing to be ashamed of with the weights from machines. Your bicep doesn't know the difference between a dumbbell and a weighted cable. Resistance is resistance.

I use a mix of free weights and machines. Machines are great for helping you keep control and proper form and it's easier to vary the load on machines. Multi use machines like yours are really nice. Use it all you can.

I didn't really think about the muscle stabilizer part....Thanks!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    19_popcorn_beer.gif
  • egdanger1
    egdanger1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One draw back that I have found in using machines instead of free weights is the weight distribution and effort by individual limbs. For example, when I do bicep curls on the machine, I am using both arms at once. One of my arms is going to perform better than the other, taking on more of the load. When I do the curls with indivdual dumb bells, I know that both arms are working the same and have to lift the same 20 or so pounds.

The only machines that I still use are the leg extension/curl machines. I just do one leg at a time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just started not too long ago so not very much :)

squats - 90lb
    deadlifts - 105
    bench - 55
    overhead press- 40
    bent over row - 60
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I use circuit machines and I don't remember what all of them are called, so this isn't a complete list:

Leg lifts- 80
    Leg press- 170
    Overhead press/vertical chest/arm stuff- 80
    Preacher curl- 50
    Abdominal- I think 75?
    Calves- 150
    Adductors/abductors- 95
    Pull-up assistance- 90 (The lower the better, I started at 120)
    Chest- 55

I started all of the arm stuff at 30 and all the leg stuff at I think 50. I increase 5 pounds every other day if I can do 12 full reps.
  • alexias9
    alexias9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    leg curls 85
    Leg Extension 87
    Abdominal Crunches 72
    Back Extension 80
    Triceps Extension 50
    Triceps Extension 50
    compound row 60
    Pec Dec Butterfly (Pectoral Fly) 50
    Preacher Bench Medium-Grip Barbell Curl 47
    Back Extension 80
    Overhead Press, Machine, Seated 37
    Hip Abduction, Machine, Seated 125
    hip adduction 75
    sit-Ups 30 with 5# weight
    leg raises with 5 # weights
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Does it really make a big difference if it is a circuit machine or free weights? You're still pulling the weight youself, and I can also add a resistance band to my machine, but I haven't tried it yet.

Add the resistence if, as other posters said, you're doing 10-12 without reaching failure.

And yes, while resistence is resistence, it DOES make a difference if it's a machine vs. a weight. By design, machines - even the most adjustable ones - are built to a 'common denominator' where physiology is concerned (e.g., where joints of differently sized people will be as compared to machine fulcrums). Because of this, the *mechanics* of lifting will be altered, as you adjust your form to adapt to the machine. For example: leaning too far forward in a pec machine to do rear delts because of seat structure; ams not parallel for optimum form for the pull back.

And, as I said before, the machines will, in some measure assist you in lifting, misrepresenting the amount of weight you can lift. \

As I set up to do my 'baby' deadlift from the floor, I watched a bunch of guys do 'deadlifts' in a Smith machine. They had about 270lbs plated up on that thing. And they were 'lifting' it alright - horrible form to adapt to the machine (yanking from their back, unable to get low enough). And, because the Smith put the deadlift on a rail, they were able to pull against it, using the assist from the mechanism to help their glide upward.

I found myself wondering if - with proper form - they would even be able to lift the 120 I had off the floor. I suspect not.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Oh wow amazing job ladies. You all make me feel like the weakling in this thread, hehehe

Anyway these are my current ones:

deadlift - 2x6 (35 kgs or about 75lbs. barbell)
    squats - 2x8 (30 kgs or about 70lbs. barbell)
    lunges - 2x8 (35 lb. dumbbells each arm)
    bench press - 2x8 (30lb. dumbbells each arm or 60lb. barbell)
    overhead press - 2x8 (20 lb. dumbbells each arm)
    woodchops - 2x8 (30lb. dumbbells)
    bicep curls - 2x8 (35lb. dumbbells)
    tricep extension - 2x8 (35 lb. dumbbells)
  • curvykim78
    Options
    bump
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

As I set up to do my 'baby' deadlift from the floor, I watched a bunch of guys do 'deadlifts' in a Smith machine. They had about 270lbs plated up on that thing. And they were 'lifting' it alright - horrible form to adapt to the machine (yanking from their back, unable to get low enough). And, because the Smith put the deadlift on a rail, they were able to pull against it, using the assist from the mechanism to help their glide upward.

I found myself wondering if - with proper form - they would even be able to lift the 120 I had off the floor. I suspect not.

Wow, that's a new one on me. Deadlifts in a smith machine. What's even the point? Smith machines are terrible but they do provide a level of safety for back squats and such (though I'd prefer a power rack or a monolift by far). Deadlift though? That's insane. They're only cheating themselves.