What does everyone do for a living?

Options
Just wondering as some of us have jobs that are more active than others and I wonder if you bother to factor that into your calories burned? I have not tried to. BUT I DO work with 7 children all day between the ages of 18 months and 6 years. This new kid who started this week(18months) is making me earn my money for sure! This is the first time I have sat down since 7:30 this morning and only because it's naptime! I have chased him and chased him and removed him from climbing. I have been up and down the stairs at least a dozen times. I am literally ready to cry. Yeah I just turned this into me whining. At any rate do any of you figure in all that? I tried a pedometer once but it didn't seem accurate to me.

Replies

• senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have an 18 month old - lots of work those ones!

I buy souvenirs for a living (my company supplies zoo & aquarium gift shops with merchandise).
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I work in Chicago and walk 3/4 of a mile each way from the train so I do factor THAT in, but I sit at a desk and book meetings for a living, so I don't see alot of physical activity once I'm actually at my desk :)
  • Tender78
    Tender78 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse...I'm pretty active on the days I work but, currently, I only work 3 days a week. I do 3 consecutive 12 hours shifts, Friday-Sunday.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    An accountant
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Homeless shelter case manager, pretty sedantary most days, even when we have to clean or help someone move or something, its not much more active over all that being at home and cleaning etc
  • ashleysimoneau
    Options
    I work at a plaque making company doing tech support and publication research for new clients (basically reading newspapers and business journals). I'm usually at my desk the whole time so I don't calculate any exercise in. It sounds like you're doing a lot though! Pedometers never seem that accurate to me, either. I feel like sometimes they aren't counting my steps and sometimes they might be counting me just moving around and not walking. I've found counting stair climbing to be fairly easy, though, if you're doing a lot of it, and it sounds like you are. :) Start out with that, maybe?
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Office job (executive asst for a health care org). I always select sedentary as life style since the majority of my day (except on the weekends :) is spent sitting although I do go up and down stairs several times a day I don't factor that in. It sounds as if you have a pretty active day all things considered :smile:
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm a consultant/software developer... I don't factor in my job because drinking coffee, typing, and thinking don't really burn any calories! :laugh:

If you are in an active job, you CAN change your factored activity level higher. Especially if you find yourself consistently feeling hungry throughout the day, or if you feel you're losing weight too fast.

Edit: Pedometers can be VERY inaccurate depending on how you walk... especially the cheaper ones. I received one as a gift years ago, and it would register less than 1 in 5 of my steps... but worked just fine for my Dad.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a writer, so very much set at sedentary!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I used to chase my 3 small boys all day.... that kept me fit...LOL, now they are in high school. We homeschool
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Essentially, I get paid a very nice salary to troll the MFP forums when I should be sysadminning
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal banker so I don't really get to moving a lot while at work! :ohwell:
  • zipperhead76
    zipperhead76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a desk jockey by trade :D I work for the Air Force as a civilian, I'm in the Army Reserves and I'm a Taekwondo instructor.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Profit Recovery Consultant
    Sports Investment Industry
    425772_350196321687845_1262780545_n.jpg
  • cbearce
    cbearce Posts: 4
    Options
    until june 22 I was a computer operator for a linen company. I also am a part time guide for a company that does tours on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I live in Phoenix, Arizona!: smile: Actually I really enjoy the heat. I lived for many years in the northeast. the southwest is a big change but I've been here for over 20 years:laugh:
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm Agent For Auto Insurance Company:bigsmile:
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I am currently focusing on school. I used to work at walmart in the deli, which was a LOT of work. But I quit there April 1st (fools day haha) and since then I've been basically focusing on school. I'll clean the house, go for walks in the evenings and hang out with friends in my spare time which I have a lot of. For instance this morning, I completely organized the living and familiy room, vacuumed them, cleaned the kitchen, after doing 30DS and a shower. And it's 10:38. I consider myself sedentary because I don't clean a lot every day and mostly I'm in front of my laptop working on school.
  • chubbycheekers878
    chubbycheekers878 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Software Engineer....gain weight really fast after I got this job
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    dog walker/pet sitter
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    IT Service Desk Analyst :)