How to eat on vacation?

Options
We have an upcoming vacation to a location that is known (among other things) for its great food. I have lost 17 pounds so far and want to lose 50 total. If I take a week "off" from dieting, how much am I likely to be set back? I can say that we will also be doing a fair amount of walking so that will compensate a little bit.

I really want to enjoy this trip and not be thinking about calories all the time. Any advice?

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always lose weight on a vacation (even when not trying). We pretty much walk all the time on vacation, so I know my calories burned during the day are a lot more. Also, I only ever eat something out of the ordinary when it is something that I can't get here at home - I can get ice cream anywhere, but some super wonderful regional specialty might be a treat I would enjoy. When we go anywhere near the ocean, I also always eat a ton of fresh seafood.
  • kellie1020
    kellie1020 Posts: 11
    Options
    I just went on vacation and gained four pounds I think. I ate good enough the only thing that killed me was drinking. There's a lot of calories in that so be careful on the amount you drink. Other than that, don't worry about it too much, one vacation won't ruin your new healthy lifestyle. Yes, it is discouraging to come back and see that you gained a bit of weight but with your continued hard work you'll be just fine. So don't worry too much but don't overeat either and everything will be fine! (:
  • JanelleEathorne
    JanelleEathorne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make time to hit up the hotel's gym. It will definitely help!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to eat somewhere special for dinner, then eat lighter for breakfast and lunch. If possible, split an entree with someone. Then you get the taste and flavor, but don't feel the need to clean your plate.

As for treats/desserts, Hubby and I have one treat (or decadent dessert) per day, but we split it. This way I don't feel deprived off all the goodies, but I'm not going overboard either.

Just try to make reasonable choices, enjoy what you are eating, but remember that vacation is about being with friends, family, and seeing the sights! Have fun! :drinker:
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm. well, a couple things you can try

1> Don't be afraid to eat out - just choose somewhat OK options like chicken or other meat choices.
    2> Try to be active on teh vaca (walk, hike, swim, etc).
    3> Eat what you want - but in moderation. If you order something, have them bring you a doggie bag when they bring the food and right away put some of it away and off your plate.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I went to Las Vegas and ate/drank whatever I wanted for 4 days. I was up a few pounds but they fell off quickly. That was about a month ago and I am below the weight I was when I left :)
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    sharing meals at restaurants is a good option - seems to help me on trips. when out to eat, i still try to make good choices (e.g., no fried foods)
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just took a short 3 day vacation to the beach. We did a little walking and swimming so that burned some calories. We went out to eat and I didn't obsess over calories but did make an effort to chose healthier options. We went to a seafood restaurant and I chose broiled over fried. If I want the full fat/fried version I ask for a to go box and cut the meal in half at the beginning. Sharing is good if you have a partner with you. Be mindful of what you drink also. I ask for water or unsweetened tea most of the time when I go out.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Commit to yourself that you WILL absolutely return to your original diet and fitness plan when you return from vacation. If you can be absolutely certain that you'll get back on track, I'd not give two ****z about what you eat on vacation. It's vacation, go have fun.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Commit to yourself that you WILL absolutely return to your original diet and fitness plan when you return from vacation. If you can be absolutely certain that you'll get back on track, I'd not give two ****z about what you eat on vacation. It's vacation, go have fun.

This!!!! I just had a camping trip with my family... I ate smores, drank beer, ate chips, had pizza (yep we like to go into the local town and pick up pizza LOL) I just let loose.. but when I got home I got back on track so it was to the gym the next day and healthy eating all the way :-) Now I did make sure to take along healthy snacks like fresh fruit and veggies and whole wheat bread and so on.. but I didn't deprive myself of the "junk food" by any means :-)
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stay as active as possible, and if you know you are going to have a big dinner, try to eat lightly the rest of the day. Enjoy the flavors of the local cuisine, and keep an eye out for tasty options that aren't too calorific. Most of all, enjoy yourself!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just remember: eat out, not pig out.

Very simple, go out and enjoy the nice dinners with family/friends/whoever -- have a couple drinks and eat to enjoy, not to kill yourself.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    We have an upcoming vacation to a location that is known (among other things) for its great food. I have lost 17 pounds so far and want to lose 50 total. If I take a week "off" from dieting, how much am I likely to be set back? I can say that we will also be doing a fair amount of walking so that will compensate a little bit.

I really want to enjoy this trip and not be thinking about calories all the time. Any advice?
    Eat lean. Watch how much you drink and control where you go. If you want to have something that is not good for your diet, just have a bit. Sharing works too. Split it with your partner. Good luck and have fun.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I went on a Carvival Cruise and ate 5 times per day.
    No calorie counting - no restrictions. I ate until I hurt every meal - LOVED IT!
    After every meal, I took an hour walk, and some of that included disembarking and seeing the sights.
    One hour walk after every meal.
    In 7 days, I gained 5 pounds.
    I was OK with that.
    Life Is To Be Lived:drinker:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    A little break from counting calories and watching everything that goes into you can be very good for you psychologically as well. Enjoy your vacation and get back to it once you are home. You may gain a little, you may lose a little. On our vacation, I was up a few pounds when we got back, but 5 days later I hit my new low weight. The break was incredible.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options

This. I gained 7 lbs on a recent cruise. I lost it within 4 days of getting home. Once I cut out the bacon, beer & sweets.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i will not be a big help here but im going to vegas in 3 days...

i already have it planned that i will:
    go to bellagio buffet and eat until i cant eat anymore
    go to cheesecake factory and order something epic
    go to outback steakhouse
    get sushi...a lot
    drink the worst fattiest and most delicious drinks i can.
    plus another 20 desserts in there.

im mentally prepared to gain 5 lbs at least.

honestly. im healthy all the time. im not eating salad in vegas. im living life.

man im excited.
  • Sassybecky
    Sassybecky Posts: 72
    Options
    Having fun doesn't mean pigging out. We just went to the beach for a week last month. I ate what I wanted but tracked what I ate, and ate lighter for meals that we didn't go out (we were at a beach house so we could cook sometimes and would pack healthy lunches for the beach). I was satisfied all the time but not stuffed, and ended up gaining .5 lbs over the course of the week. That's with several nights of drinking, a couple ice cream nights, etc.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    This is the only life I have to live and I plan to enjoy it.

When I go on vacation, I do NOT worry about what I eat, how much of it I eat, etc. We went to Cedar Point and then camping for 8 days in June - I literally ate the entire time (a lot of junk, but fruit and stuff too). Came home and actually weighed less than when I left. I don't drink alcohol, so that may make a difference.

Go. Enjoy yourself. Just get back on track as soon as you come home.