ladies?

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
I know things like splenda are s'posed to be bad for you but in the interest of no calories it's what i've used. THis being said my husband and i are trying to have a child (ssshhhh it's a secret) I've have read an overload of information of what you can have and what you can't have. What can i do? No caffeine, no sugar, none of my fave cheeses (feta, cheddar etc) i'm so lost. also going without them for a time is fine and all if thats the case but do i stop eating the stuff now? I'm not preg but at any point and time i could be...

help?

Please don't tell me to ask my doctor, i have an appt next month so i haven't yet but i will i just wanted to know what yall thought...

Replies

• wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    You will learn very quickly that there are a ton of different ways to be a good parent, and that starts with pregnancy.

I have friends who swear off anything that could possibly harm their baby, and then I have my sister who happily ate sushi and unpasteurized bleu cheese throughout her first pregnancy, and had a 3oz 1st trimester glass of wine with dinner Saturday night.

I fall somewhere in between: I ate blue cheese, but only pasteurizeed. I ate lunch meat, but only from Jersey Mike's b/c I felt they were the most reputable deli (I only ate hot subs from Subway); I drank a small glass of wine a couple of times in my pregnancy, and had a few O'Doul's non-alcoholic beers, but only in 2nd&3rd tri, and I drank caffeine, but only 1 cup of regular coffee in the morning and an afternoon Coke.

Talk to your doc and figure out what feels right to you, and go from there. And since you like message boards, I found a TTC and pregnancy message board very helpful to get perspective from other ladies going through the same thing I was experiencing.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It doesnt really matter until you get pregnant. Unless youre a heavy drinker or recreational drug user. When the stick pops positive call your doctor. I am in the "drink til its pink" camp.
  • gecho
    Options
    I'm confused. Are these dietary restrictions meant to be for pregnant women or for women trying to conceive?

thats my question
  • joi1407
    joi1407 Posts: 79
    Options
    With the drinking during pregnancy... There is no study that proves you can't have a drink every now and then during pregnancy. You can even get hammered once or so. The problems come when you're alcohol dependent. The no drinking is a social construct in most countries.
    What is damaging is smoking and obviously other drugs.

And one other thing I've learned (in my MSc in reproductive health research): folic acid is only useful when you take it before you get pregnant as it is needed in teh first few weeks, usually by the time you find out, that time has already passed.

Hope this helps.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    The only change I would make right now is taking a prenatal vitamin and a folic acid supplement. Don't worry about dietary changes right now, they aren't neccesary.... like.... at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This must be some new broscience research regarding cheese. I was never told to not eat cheese, just don't drink too much, stop smoking, and get a balanced diet with a prenatal vitamin supplement.
  • gecho
    Options
    The only change I would make right now is taking a prenatal vitamin and a folic acid supplement. Don't worry about dietary changes right now, they aren't neccesary.... like.... at all.

that makes me feel happy that if it does happen before my dr appt that i can keep doing what i'm doing. I already take a prenatal vitamin that has folic acid in it. should i take extra?
  • alison303
    alison303 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had Mountain Dew and pizza daily while i was pregnant. I have a healthy 17 yr old boy thats 6'1 and 243 lbs. He is a senior in highschool with a B average. He has played football since he was 6 and has never broke a bone. With that being said...eat what you want honey!!! like the others have said...no smoking or heavy drinking and you will be fine :) good luck
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    No, probably not. Folic Acid just reduces the risk of neotube defects, if I remember right :) Good luck to you though, that's very exciting!

I followed "the rules" to a T with my first.... not so much with my second. Both have been very healthy babies/kiddos. My OB was a very "things are fine in moderation" type.