how can i be vegetarian and still get my protein?

Options
I tried about 3 or 4 years ago for about 6 months but i just got ill. I looked so pasty, even more so than usual! I just had no energy either.

I want to give up meat because it just makes me feel so sick. Everytime i see a chicken breast i want to throw up. All that red, fatty crap. The other night just put me off chicken all together; i saw a purple gooey thing in it. So GROSS!!

So if there are any veggies out there, how can i do this without making myself ill? Any tasty recipes would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    On a day that I don't work out I target about 1300 calories and eat about 65 g of protein or more. When I burn 500 calories in a boot camp work out I eat about 85g. I just started weight lifting and on those days will aim for about 100.

Here is what I do in general:
    For breakfast I eat quinoa (instead of oatmeal), fruits, almonds and unsweetened soy milk.
    For lunch I eat vegetables and beans.
    For dinner I eat vegetables and either eggs, tofu, or tempeh.
    For snacks I eat lentil soup or split pea soup (I keep dehydrated stuff around to make it easy to grab a mug full at work) and greek yogurt. I have to say that greek yogurt has been key for me to up my protein - 20 g in a cup for only 130 calories. I eat it with fruit and sometimes I mix it in with eggs or pureed cauliflower (tastes almost like mashed potatoes). I also eat nuts and nut butters if it fits in with the calories and fat targets.

You can also experiment with nutritional yeast as a supplement, it is also high in vitamin B12, and lots of options with protein shakes. If you can't afford the calories and fat of whole eggs, egg whites are a good bet.

I'm not a big fan of seafood, don't like killing things if I don't have to and don't like what's happening in the fishing industry, but I occasionally eat some fish. I'd rather not but nutritionally it has a lot to offer.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Happy Herbivore" group here. Plenty of ideas and support.

It's really quite easy to get in your protein on a veggie diet.

Eggs, Greek yogurt, lentils, chickpeas, tofu, seitan, quinoa, black beans, kidney beans, edamame, cottage cheese...

Those are all protein-rich.

There is also protein in most whole grains and veggies, just not as large amounts as other stuff, so you should have no problem reaching your macros.
  • katsue_0xo
    Options
    I do a lot of beans, quinoa (its the highest protein grain), and I do eat 2 eggs each day. On my heavy workout days I will supplement with a whey protein shake. I find that my body does need a little bit of animal protein- so I limit my meat consumption to a small portion for dinner 1x or 2x per week. But, every body is different.
  • goosefacetraveler
    Options
    Similar to yubafarm. I usually aim at 1200kcal a day. I have not eaten meat in 20 years and never been anemic or deficient in nutrients ( except vit D which i lack due to avoiding sun since i am super fair)
    Here are my main protein sources: egg whites, greek yogurt, soy/almond/regular milk, nuts, nut butters (love almond butter on my toast or on sliced apple), tofu, tempeh, cottage/ricotta/other cheese, occasionally fish (not a fan of most fish), beans(hummus, split pea/lentil soup)...all so yummy :)
    Oh and i aim at 50g protein daily, but if I eat less on a particular day I don't sweat it, I know my body can handle few low days.
    Good luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Funny that. I have been vegetarian for 22 years and have never looked "pasty" or had a problem with deficiencies of any kind.

I don't get a huge amount of protein - I aim for 45-65g a day, and I am perfectly healthy and have a good body composition.

There is plenty of protein in Greek yoghurt, multigrain bread, eggs, low fat cheese (has a lot more protein than the full fat versions) and pulses.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you eat a variety of grains, beans, and vegetables, and I really mean A VARIETY of them, you will have all the protein you require. Protein is rarely the issue (anyways there's always protein powder to supplement). You probably had a B-vitamin deficiency or perhaps iron. (I have problems with B's when I'm not careful.) You'll have to eat greens every day for the iron, heck, eat them with every meal. Spinach, kale, collards, bok choi... try them all, and again, eat a variety. Eat walnuts, almonds, and other nuts regularly (although they are calorie-dense, so watch those serving sizes). And fortified soy/almond/whatever milk can help too.

Nutritional yeast has B-vitamins as well, you'll just shake it over everything :)

And kombucha has B-vitamins, it can be expensive, but you can also prepare it yourself for cheap if you don't mind a science experiment growing in your pantry.

You could also find a doctor or nutritionist who will check your blood every year or so to make sure you're on track.

Here's an easy way to make a veggie meal.

1. Get some pita or tortillas out.
    2. Heat up some oil in a pan, add herbs/spices as you like, add a can of beans (drained), dump in a bag of greens, add a little water or broth if the pan is dry.
    3. Stir, if you can, at least mash down the greens. They will reduce. You can also add tomatoes here, but remember the acid can slow down the cooking time a bit.
    4. Cover the pan and lower the heat a bit, and cook until the greens are done (depends on how you like them; I like spinach cooked only a few minutes, but kale takes longer). Again you might need to add some liquid.
    5. Pour your beans/greens on your grains/pita/whatever.
    6. DELICIOUS or at least super-healthy :)
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Beans, tofu, nuts, plants all have protein.
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm a vegan and never lack protein.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian also and find protein in beans, cheese, and nuts. I don't really like tofu, but if you do, it will give you a lot of protein! I am still low on protein but getting better at it! It's tough to find vegetarian protein vitamins...but when I make smoothies I put protein powder in it! Relatively cheap, blends right into the food, and had a lot of other nutrients, too, most importantly potassium.

Check it out: http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2108294&camp=ppc:2892&affcode=2892&sr=1&origkw=whey&searchdef=2454042&k_clickid=21053ca2-8ff2-9cc8-030c-0000078ead3d&004=2280422474&002=2454042&006=22804218452&007=Search&008=&009=e&012=whey protein powder&021=14930268662

God Bless!

-Amber

www.GoodPersonTest.com
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    if Veg, then I assume you eat milk products. if so, then protein shakes are #1 way. I wouldn't recommend for long term use (as I don't believe processing foods is healthy), but for a training or weight loss program, there are worse things. if you are a body builder wanna be, then you should google it - plenty of vegan and veggie BB's out there who can lay it all out. if you are vegan, you could do soy or pea protein shakes, but you'll never get the same either way as a meat eater. you can live w/ that or not, but it doesn't change the facts.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt (12-15g per serving)
    Yves Jumbo Hot Dogs (18g per dog!)
    String Cheese (6-8 per serving)
    Beans etc.

There are lots of ways.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Funny that. I have been vegetarian for 22 years and have never looked "pasty" or had a problem with deficiencies of any kind.

I don't get a huge amount of protein - I aim for 45-65g a day, and I am perfectly healthy and have a good body composition.

There is plenty of protein in Greek yoghurt, multigrain bread, eggs, low fat cheese (has a lot more protein than the full fat versions) and pulses.
    [/quote
    same here 28 years a vegetarian and by that i mean no meat FISH or poultry you have loads of options for protein , quorn beans cottage cheese, cheese soya tofu iron you can have vegi mite on toast for breky fortified cereals and good vegetarian supplement to make sure i actually take a vegan 1 aday supplement eat your veggies and your away should be no problems
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    vegan for 7 years and never a problem. you are more than welcome to look at my diary. veggies, soy milk, tofu, fake meats and cheese, grains, beans, theres so much. yogurt is a good one. sometimes i get too much. good luck.
  • mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i'm vegetarian and i'm always over on protein..... beans, nuts, smart life veggie lunch meat, and greek yogurt (love that stuff) have tons of protein and i always start my day with 2 boiled eggs
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you probably DID NOT have a protein deficiency. It is very, very rare for people in developed countries to have a protein deficiency. If you eat at all, you pretty much can't become deficient. Even broccoli and rice has some protein.

I am vegan, don't particularly watch my protein intake, and average 40 grams a day. If I eat what I'm planning to eat for dinner, I will have had 54 grams of protein today. As a vegan. Who didn't eat meat or cheese.

It's not hard. And people who claim that when you become vegetarian or vegan you get pale and sickly have a) probably never actually met a vegetarian or b) have other health issues beyond their vegetarianism.

If you're truly interested in adopting a vegetarian lifestyle, look at the "vegetarian food for thought" podcasts by Colleen Patrick Goudreau. She specifically addresses the protein myth.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    A lot of avid meat eaters who switch get sick. You can't just cut meat out all of a sudden you really should research where to get all the protein, good fats, iron, etc. before switching. Maybe if you talk to a dietitian first that will help a bit.
    I really am crappy about giving actual advice though because I've done it all my life so I'm not sure what's considered normal food lol.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have been discussing this matter of protein on plant-based low-calorie diets by email with T. Colin Campbell, author of the 'China Study.' He says 10% of calories derived from protein is adequate. Example: If you are eating 1200 calories, only 120 of those calories need to be from protein (that's 30 grams, btw). If you want absolute insurance that you are getting enough, bump it up to 15% of calories, or 45 grams of protein.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have been discussing this matter of protein on plant-based low-calorie diets by email with T. Colin Campbell, author of the 'China Study.' He says 10% of calories derived from protein is adequate. Example: If you are eating 1200 calories, only 120 of those calories need to be from protein (that's 30 grams, btw). If you want absolute insurance that you are getting enough, bump it up to 15% of calories, or 45 grams of protein.

Yes! this!

Great, VoV!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Americans consume way more protein than they really need anyways. The average person only needs 1-2 grams per pound of body weight, or about 15% of daily calories. Protein is also found other places besides in animal products!

Funny, this was posted today! http://www.nomeatathlete.com/where-vegetarians-get-protein/