Knee Pain

Options
2»

Replies

• Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What is your post run stretching routine?
    Make sure you are stretching your calf, quads, IT band and ham stings out enough. I starting having problems with my knees and it was because the tendons were pulling on the knee. The pain came on fast and did not have any problems before. I got a good Pro stretch and foam roller to help me stretch and they worked like a charm. Since you’re on a tight budget you can get a cheap rolling pin and try rolling out your legs. At least is it a cheap place to start to solve the problem. If it continues to bother you I would see a Dr. My chiropractor who specializes in sports was a huge help to me.

Below are 2 videos that helped me. They are by the same guy who has other good videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LDhKVtkfnsg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnAXw47nMw&feature=relmfu

As far as running shoes, Good ones/ the right ones do make a huge difference. I also highly recommend getting fitted at a true running store. They can also film you while you run and get you fitted for the right shoe.

EDIT : Foam Roller
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMNQ_dncQH0&feature=related
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of off-brand running shoes that you can purchase at bargain stores for a fraction of the price of Nike or Adidas. Also, be on the look-out for clearance sales. Last year's running shoe may not be as fashionable, but it's still a good running shoe.
    :smile:

I don't believe this to be sound advice. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted by someone that has been trained to do so. If you are on a budget, find out what shoe you need, say thank you and then buy them cheaper on-line. I don't like this, but if its the only way to get you in the right shoe, then go for it. I like to give the money to the people that put the time in, but I understand a budget too.

We will have to agree to disagree. I have bought excellent running shoes for a fraction of the price. I used to wear Diadora's all the time when mom and dad were paying the bill, but even then I bought the ones on clearance or at a discount.

No one should be told that they can't afford to run. That's absurd. Everyone can afford a good pair of running shoes if you are a thrifty shopper. You are going to have her thinking that she can't run at all now. :huh:

Not everyone has the bio-mechanics to run in just any shoe off the shelf. You are very fortunate in that respect. Relish it.

The OP has already experienced a running injury that very well may be caused by the shoes. Were she to select another pair that isn't right either, it will exacerbate the problem. Isn't it worth the investment to be fitted by a professional at least once? It's your body after all.

You are talking from your experience of one. I am talking from the experiences of dozens upon dozens of runners that have been through the same thing the OP is going through and had their issues resolved by getting fitted for the right shoe.

You are suggesting that she have a professional fit, then go buy a cheap pair online. I don't think buying shoes online is sound advice at all. You have to wear them in the store. You have to jog in place or a small circle to feel them on your feet. You are also suggesting that you can't get running shoes at "box stores," which sounds more like personal preference rather than research-based. There is nothing wrong with so-called "box stores."

FYI: This isn't just my experience, either. But also the experience of the same dozens of team-mates and friends, etc. You assume too much.

Maybe I wasn't crystal clear. Get fitted. Try on shoes. Find the one that you like, THEN buy THAT SAME SHOE on-line for less. I didn't think I really needed to spell it out.

Also, I didn't say you couldn't get good shoes at a big-box store. You can, but not all of the shoes they have are true running shoes, even on the running shoe wall. What you can't get at the big box stores is a professional fitting (I am sure they may be exceptions to this, but for the most part this is true).
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This just happend to me since I have been training to run a half marathon in September only one of my knees has been doing this. Rest is very important as well as stretching!! Make sure you are stretching and strength training your thigh mucsles ( back and front)..Also I am going to a running store this weekend to get my Gait Analysis ~ you don't necessarily have to purchase their shoes but they will help you find the perfect running show for you baised on how you land on your feet, etc.

I also use a support strap around my knee when I run ( you can get this at any sporting goods store it looks like a singel velcro strap) and take an ibuprofen about 30 minutes before I run. Then after I run I stretch for at least 10-15 minutes and then ice my knee both top and bottom for 20 minutes :) This has helped so much..but I thinks it is extremley important to be fitted for the proper shoes and have correct form when running to prevent further injuries and I want to keep on running so I am taking pre-cautions and I listen to my body...Hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you have anymore questions. Though I am not an expert but I do take expert advice from several people who have been running for years!! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ask 100 runners what is the best shoe and you'll get 100 answers. :tongue:

The best shoe for you is one that fits you AND one that you can afford.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of off-brand running shoes that you can purchase at bargain stores for a fraction of the price of Nike or Adidas. Also, be on the look-out for clearance sales. Last year's running shoe may not be as fashionable, but it's still a good running shoe.
    :smile:

I don't believe this to be sound advice. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted by someone that has been trained to do so. If you are on a budget, find out what shoe you need, say thank you and then buy them cheaper on-line. I don't like this, but if its the only way to get you in the right shoe, then go for it. I like to give the money to the people that put the time in, but I understand a budget too.

We will have to agree to disagree. I have bought excellent running shoes for a fraction of the price. I used to wear Diadora's all the time when mom and dad were paying the bill, but even then I bought the ones on clearance or at a discount.

No one should be told that they can't afford to run. That's absurd. Everyone can afford a good pair of running shoes if you are a thrifty shopper. You are going to have her thinking that she can't run at all now. :huh:

Not everyone has the bio-mechanics to run in just any shoe off the shelf. You are very fortunate in that respect. Relish it.

The OP has already experienced a running injury that very well may be caused by the shoes. Were she to select another pair that isn't right either, it will exacerbate the problem. Isn't it worth the investment to be fitted by a professional at least once? It's your body after all.

You are talking from your experience of one. I am talking from the experiences of dozens upon dozens of runners that have been through the same thing the OP is going through and had their issues resolved by getting fitted for the right shoe.

You are suggesting that she have a professional fit, then go buy a cheap pair online. I don't think buying shoes online is sound advice at all. You have to wear them in the store. You have to jog in place or a small circle to feel them on your feet. You are also suggesting that you can't get running shoes at "box stores," which sounds more like personal preference rather than research-based. There is nothing wrong with so-called "box stores."

FYI: This isn't just my experience, either. But also the experience of the same dozens of team-mates and friends, etc. You assume too much.

Maybe I wasn't crystal clear. Get fitted. Try on shoes. Find the one that you like, THEN buy THAT SAME SHOE on-line for less. I didn't think I really needed to spell it out.

Also, I didn't say you couldn't get good shoes at a big-box store. You can, but not all of the shoes they have are true running shoes, even on the running shoe wall. What you can't get at the big box stores is a professional fitting (I am sure they may be exceptions to this, but for the most part this is true).

I agree 100% with CarsonRuns. Getting a good fit at a reputable running store and trying the shoe on before buying it is important.
    When I was in Mass I visited Bayside Runners in Plymouth Mass here is a Video of what you should look for in a true good fitting at a running store.
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150207298147020&saved

EDIT: Plus most local running stores are locally owned and you will be supporting your local community and neighbors not a big box store from out of state. Just an extra bonus!
  • carriann2012
    Options
    That's what MFP is for ~ We are here for support and advice and ideas ~ I would rather have 100 answers then none and figure out what works best for me ~ :happy:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Getting the right shoes is certainly sound advice, but I am not sure if running in mediocre shoes for 2 weeks should be enough to cause injury\pain like that. If new shoes do not help, see a doctor, preferably one into sports\sports medicine.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Getting the right shoes is certainly sound advice, but I am not sure if running in mediocre shoes for 2 weeks should be enough to cause injury\pain like that. If new shoes do not help, see a doctor, preferably one into sports\sports medicine.

It can. It's not about the quality of the shoe, but what it does to your gait. If she is in a motion control shoe and really needs to be in a neutral shoe, the shoe is over correcting something that doesn't need to be corrected and putting undue strain on the legs. As an example.
  • carriann2012
    Options

It can. It's not about the quality of the shoe, but what it does to your gait. If she is in a motion control shoe and really needs to be in a neutral shoe, the shoe is over correcting something that doesn't need to be corrected and putting undue strain on the legs. As an example.

Agreed with CarsonRuns :happy:
  • jenniferpowell2012
    Options
    Hi :) Totally going away from the trainers topic.... I also suffered knee problems when i first started making the transition from walking to running. The knee problems occured when walking long distances in my walking boots and when running hard in my trainers. I started taking supplements, Glucosamine Sulphate, Calcium and Omega 3, all known to help with joints. Recently, after starting a new job with longer hours i havent been taking the supplememts and the pain is back. Proof enough for me!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    That's what MFP is for ~ We are here for support and advice and ideas ~ I would rather have 100 answers then none and figure out what works best for me ~ :happy:

:wink:

That's me too. I will ask opinions and do my own research. If we agreed on everything, it would be awfully boring!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Very true. It may not even be the shoes causing it. Shoes are just a common issue because people try to do a lot of running in shoes designed for walking. Using incorrect form when running is also a common problem that can cause pain.

It could be unrelated to the running.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    OK...try to answer all the questions here....post run stretching.. I thought I was doing well. Toe touches, lunge-like stretches, honestly, what I've seen in TV and movies, like I said, I'm new at this :)

As for shoes, I checked with the closest 'fitness supply' store to me...they said their fittings are free, so I'll go get checked out, and at least see if they think my gait is the issue...then the shoes will be a minimum of $80, which I think is reasonable, since my birthday is coming :)

Thank you for all the input folks, I was worried all I'd get was 'see your doctor before you ruin your knees'

Much appreciated
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Very true. It may not even be the shoes causing it. Shoes are just a common issue because people try to do a lot of running in shoes designed for walking. Using incorrect form when running is also a common problem that can cause pain.

It could be unrelated to the running.

Quite true. When troubleshooting, it's common practice to eliminate the low hanging fruit first. Shoes are the low hanging fruit in this equation. Even if having the right shoes doesn't fix it, at least you have the right shoes for when you do figure out the cause. Shoes are a lot easier to replace than it is to change mechanics, but they come with an expense.