Help me stock my kitchen for healthy living!

Options
mommy2ans
mommy2ans Posts: 93 Member
I am trying to rid my kitchen of all junk. I've finally learned the "you eat bad or healthy based on what's on hand" concept.

So what are some spices and regularly used items that would be used in recipes regularly, etc that are good for healthy cooking? :) I think if i can slowly stock up on the good stuff and do away with the bad it would be a drastic help.

Also, what is your "health food/snack" that you always MUST have in your kitchen?

Replies

• MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and coconut oil for cooking.

Curry for flavor.

My favorite snack is plain ol' popcorn. Pop in a pot on the stove in one T of olive oil and sprinkle with grated parmesan or ranch dressing mix or spices of your choice.

You can always tweak recipes to your taste--my boyfriend puts red pepper and onion in everything!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Any spice at all.... I have a whole shelf of spices, and love to experiment.

And my favorite snack is probably Chobani yogurt, carrot sticks and hummus, and Almond Nut Thins with goat cheese.......
  • RubberBandBear
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that peppers help increase metabolism and I love spicy foods, the hotter the better! I always keep black pepper, Cayenne Pepper, and Paprika in the kitchen. I put them in everything, soups, meats, sauces... I also have MCormick's Garlic and Herbs which I use on eggs instead of salt or when I'm too lazy to prepare garlic.

Instead of sugar I use a little honey to sweeten teas or oatmeal.
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    Here's a great start for eating clean!

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-shopping-list-for-beginners/

my go-to snack is either a thin slice of lean nitrate-free honey ham wrapped around a cheese stick, or a piece of fruit. Or almonds!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am trying to rid my kitchen of all junk. I've finally learned the "you eat bad or healthy based on what's on hand" concept.

So what are some spices and regularly used items that would be used in recipes regularly, etc that are good for healthy cooking? :) I think if i can slowly stock up on the good stuff and do away with the bad it would be a drastic help.

Also, what is your "health food/snack" that you always MUST have in your kitchen?

I am a huge fan of mexican food so I always keep cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika on hand. I like to mix all of those with black beans to put over my salads.

My must have snack item is almond butter. I love to just eat a tablespoon by itself or with fruit slices.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I try to keep good choices for snacks around. That way when I'm digging for crap to eat I only have good choices. (Larabars, almonds, fresh veggies, fruit, etc...) Then when I'm complaining about nothing to eat I'm not grabbing chips or candy.

I keep cinnamon on hand to give a sweet taste to my protein shakes when I want sweets.