my face is gross!!

Replies

• catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    I live in the south and it's grossly hot and humid here in the summer. Even though I'm in my 40s, I have oily skin (but no wrinkles ha!) so I still use the same stuff I used when I was 16 to prevent breakouts--it works! Try Neutrogena's acne wash with a facial buff puff (gently massage around face, rinse, pat dry) before and after. The buff puff will gently exfoliate (remove oil and dead skin cells, which is what's clogging your pores and causing your breakouts) while the salicylic acid works to dry out your skin and help prevent future breakouts. I do this whenever my face feels gross which is like every 5 minutes here! But I do this especially before and after I workout. You could also try a cotton ball and facial astringent/toner--just make sure it's got salicylic acid.
  • SntmntlGk
    SntmntlGk Posts: 16
    Happening here too, thought it was just me! My skin is embarrassing me, I'm 28 years old and look like a spotty teenager. Makes me look younger, I guess?? :P

I have really sensitive skin and usually have good luck with just a sensitive Dove bar. I've been breaking out like crazy since I started working out more though, so I've added Clean and Clear sensitive astringent after I wash my face. Seems to be helping to dry up the zits without drying out the rest of my skin. Still look like a spotty teenager but I see slow progress...
  • i use a little mini loofa on my face. it works wonders. =)
  • KathyReinhart
    KathyReinhart Posts: 8 Member
    I like face wash with sallicylic acid-it really cut down on break outs. Olay makes a good one.
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    I've actually noticed that my face has been clearer since I've been working out more... I expected the complete opposite. However, a few years ago I started getting somewhat bad acne (I'd always had pretty nice skin so it was "severe" for me, but others would consider it mild) and Proactiv worked like a dream for me. BUT- if you skip washing your face for even one day, you WILL break out. Once I stopped using it completely because of the cost, I was suffering from constant breakouts. I use the Walgreens version of Proactiv now and I find it works really well for me. It's about 1/4th of the cost of Proactiv, has the same active ingredients, and has the same size bottles.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    If you're washing your face more often than you did before you were exercising, you could be drying out your skin leading to a vicious cycle of dry-oily-clogged-acne skin. So, if you do wash after, use something gentle and also moisturize!! It will take a while, but your skin will readjust the oil it produces and your pores won't clog as badly. I use Body Shop Aloe cleanser at night and Dermalogica with salacyllic acid in the morning and use Cetaphil lotion as a moisturizer. (I have very very bad acne prone skin, and have had since my teen years.) All of this, combined with identifying a separate issue with my doctor, has cleared my skin better than anything else in the last 10 years.

Anyway, also if the towels at the gym are washed with a softener, or some other strong/scented chemical it could be a reaction to that. An esthetician I've gone to said to look for things with sulfiting agents in clothes softeners, shampoo/conditioners, etc and that they can cause skin issues. I don't know how true it all is, but changing certain things has helped me. So, maybe bring your own towel from home?
  • I use tea tree oil cleansing pads in a pinch, it's nice because you can keep it in your purse or gym bag for right after your workout, I started using them when I got out of work (I cook/fry so grease is EVERYWHERE) Then at night I use organic face wash recommended for my skin type :)
  • Iveylee
    Iveylee Posts: 3
    Get some benzoyl peroxide wash 5% or higher. It will kill off bacteria and exfoliate. Watch out! It can be drying and bleach clothing. If that doesnt work, I would see a dermatologist or aesthetician for something stronger!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Dr. Bronner's liquid peppermint soap. They sell it at GNC, Trader Joe's, and some Targets. You can also get it online.
    http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/PEP.htm

Heard about this, will have to try it.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    I have serious doubts your face is 'gross'. Some acne does not make a beautiful person ugly!

Awwww! :love:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I like all of arbonne's products, and also agree with everyone who says wash your face pre work out.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Burt's Bees face wash with royal jelly
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Hah! People told me I was nuts for doing a quick shower before the gym. My figuring is that if I'm going to sweat, I want it to be "clean" sweat... if that makes sense. LOL

But that being said, I've been breaking out more than usual lately too. I'm not washing my face more than usual, but I think it's just my hormones getting a kick from the exercise and it's like Puberty 2: Pimple Boogaloo. I figure it'll even out eventually.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    i naturally have a very clear complexion, but ever since i started working out i have been getting break out's on my face. i always shower right when i'm done at the gym, but i was just wondering if anyone has found a face wash they love to help with the problem?:heart:
    Yes, I know what you mean. Your pores can get clogged, as you probably know, by skin cells and by the natural oils. just exfoliate and don't pick at them...they should heal up.

This is unconventional, but it's what Ive done for years and I have good, clear skin...I put a little baking soda in my hand and go in the shower with it...let a little water on it and use it to exfoliate my face gently....the oils already on my face help lubricate...then rinse off well and gently wash.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 231 Member
    I swear by my Clairsonic face brush (mia). It's pricey and I think there are cheaper versions, but it is AMAZING.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    My breakouts stopped once I started washing my sweaty towels with antibacterial soaps.
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    BUMP!
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    bump --- same thing for me and nowmy chest breaks out too
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Been a long time since I had that problem but that is toxins coming out of your body isn't it?? I am pretty sure. If it is, you could work on cleansing that stuff from the inside too. Better foods, water. I don't know I'm just guessing here. As far as cleaning your skin and being careful not to tear it up and scar I think I would try home remedies if I had it to do over again. I found a blog for you and it really makes sense, nothing for sale, just home remedies. She recommends a bit of castor oil and olive oil(extra virgin). It is way interesting and makes awesome sense! http://simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/ I am going to look as see if she recommends a home remedy for dry, aging skin.

I looked it up because I think so many expensive lotions and other things are such a rip off and don't work many times.

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    i naturally have a very clear complexion, but ever since i started working out i have been getting break out's on my face. i always shower right when i'm done at the gym, but i was just wondering if anyone has found a face wash they love to help with the problem?:heart:
  • Allison714
    Allison714 Posts: 77 Member
    I have been using aveeno naturals face wash, day and night moisturizers and this is the best my skin has ever looked!