Do you find salad filling?

Options
cbevan1229
cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
I had a pretty big salad for lunch today - about two cups of greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, beets, strawberries, with 3.5 oz of poached chicken. It had a little bit of cheese (maybe .25 oz - I shredded 1 oz over a family size salad last night, and packed the leftovers) and 2 tbsp of lite balsamic vinegarette. I had a small apple, too.

I had been counting on the chicken to keep me satisfied, but here it is, not 2 hours after lunch, and I feel hungry. I brought a granola bar for an afternoon snack because I knew this was a lower calorie lunch than I usually pack, but I'm trying to hold off, beause is seems early for snacking.

Does anyone else run into this with salad? I love it, but usually make it as a side dish for a meal, because I never find it very filling.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would need some fat in there to keep me feeling full. Nuts or seeds sprinkled on top would do it for me, as would adding more cheese or adding some sliced avocado to the salad.
  • RubberBandBear
    Options
    I have that same problem. Plain veggies or fruits never keep me full and I always need some kind of protein with my salad. I don't think drinking water with just a salad helps me either, it only seems to wash it down faster.
  • OspreyWife
    OspreyWife Posts: 15
    Options
    Nope I don't, I have to have something with it usually chicken breast or some sort of protein to make it actually last me
  • momma_4boys
    momma_4boys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started my weight loss journey and watching what I eat. So far what works for me are taco salads. Right now I'm having my lunch with romaine lettuce, 1/4c shredded cheddar cheese, one whole avacado, 1/2c salsa. I was going to have some chips but lucky for me they're stale so I can save me the fat and calories by skipping those :) This will keep me going for a few hours and it's a little over 400 calories. My doctor told me not to take in the bulk of my calories at dinner but I'm having a hard time bulking up breakfast/lunch without going way over. I seem to like to eat lighter during the day... I've always liked dinner best!!
  • shushy70
    shushy70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i actually get sick of eating salad before i'm done , i also need add in's like light feta , chicken and I find avocado really helps me get it all down , and once i do , i am good for the rest of the day until supper
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No. I get bored of eating it after a while, though, which is like being full, but less satisfying.
  • dbarrett30
    dbarrett30 Posts: 17
    Options
    Salads are great, but be sure to add enough healthy fats and proteins. I often add a cup of 1% cottage cheese or sometimes half a cup to my salad with chicken. And I agree....taco salad (sans chips/tortilla) is another good one b/c you can incorporate avocado and meat. You may want to add hard boiled eggs to your grilled chicken salad too.
    :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would need some fat in there to keep me feeling full. Nuts or seeds sprinkled on top would do it for me, as would adding more cheese or adding some sliced avocado to the salad.

I agree! I need fat to feel full. The above suggestions are good, or just lose the lite dressing and use one made with olive oil or another healthy oil.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I do because I top it with protein and some fat ie:chicken, steak, tuna, hard bioled egg, avocado, nuts...I also use tzatziki sauce as a dressing a lot and it has protein, is low carb and only 25 cals. I have a salad as my meal most days for lunch and dinner, really I just use the veggies/salad greens as a base for my protein.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Salads can get boring but I find it to be one of the easiest things when you are packing a lunch. Try making 2 salads or a larger one, maybe double up on the chicken.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Depends on the salad.

If it's mostly veggies and greens, no.
    If it's a "chef salad" with cheese and chicken, probably it will do.
    A caesar salad is certainly filling, but probably not nearly as good for me.

The above is purely my opinion, and YMMV.
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like dried cranberries or raisens on my salad too. I agree with the extra chicken and some pecan pieces or almond slivers.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    yes and no. if its a salad like toco salad (lettuce, corn, black beans, salsa, mushrooms, green peppers, and dressing) then yes. if i bring a salad to work usually with lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and dressing no im not even kind of full. when people say drink water it pisses me off but other times it really works: today i had a wrap and drank lots of water with it and was totally satisfied. maybe try a salad in a wrap or something that seems more satisfying to your eyes. i think we all are like salads..**** this but again other times i crave salads.
  • Brandyr73
    Brandyr73 Posts: 9
    Options
    I figure if I feel hungry 2-3 hours after I eat, that I didn't OVER eat. I think babies that eat every few hours during the day have it right, and grown ups are the ones that mess it up. I have also found that craisins and almonds or walnuts added to a salad keep away the tummy growlers at the 2 hr mark, and I just start to feel like I could handle a snack. ;)
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I usually have a salad for lunch at around noon, usually with a little bit of cheese and some protein. I'll have water with it, and drink about 32oz in the afternoon. Then around 2:30 or 3:00 I have a protein shake. It keeps me from snacking on carbs (I like to keep those free for supper) and it feels me up. Plus I find I have enough energy to get me going for my workout around 7:30PM.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Love a large salad with mixed greens, chick peas, cucumber, tomato, black olives, mushrooms, manadarin oranges, slivered almonds, dried cranberries, feta, all tossed in my dressing of choice. Yum Yum. And it does hold me over quite well.