Just for today...

Options
So I've been thinking a lot about how often you hear the expression, "one day at a time."
I know the most difficult thing in weight loss especially is to pick yourself up after a day, or week, or month, or years of
poor eating habits. I am of a very healthy BMI, but still struggle with food on a daily basis. The most difficult thing for me
is to let go of my "all or nothing" mentality when it comes to food.
The truth is, there is always the promise of another new day, of a "better" day, or of a tomorrow when you can right yourself and
make better choices. But, I'm learning each day to try to recognize and own up to my actions with food and know that each action will have mental and physical consequences that simply are not worth the brief moments I feel better when I'm overeating.
SO...after a few days of poor choices and moderate-binges, I'm making a goal...a very small goal, and re-committing myself to being and doing better today...JUST FOR TODAY, I will do WHATEVER I have to to not overeat. Be that take a winter walk, paint, reach out to my boyfriend for help, kick, scream, whatever. There has GOT to be a way to simply not do it. There has to be a way to get past this after many years.
If even the most dire addicts can quit doing drugs, I can quit binging.

I'm wondering, what's your goal JUST FOR TODAY??? Make a commitment within yourself today and challenge yourself to go follow through.
I so appreciate all the posts and encouraging words I read here every day.
Have a great day!
-OB

Replies

• junkgypsy
    Options
    I love this!
    Great idea.

My boyfriend just recently (one week ago, actually, sigh.) moved about 3 hours away from me. 'One day at a time' has been my mantra for the past 7 days-- Just putting one foot in front of the other.

Just for today, I am going to cross off the things I have on my to-do list that are within my control, make the best food choices I can, and count down the days until I get to see him-- 11! :)
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Great idea!! Just for today, I am going to get in a 1/2 hr workout when I get home from work. I will not talk myself out of it!!
  • dmbgal
    Options
    I'm at not going to overeat or gorge on cookies at the office holiday party.... especially since I've already snacked (okay, ate them for breakfast) on the cookies I made for the party!
  • junkgypsy
    Options
    I'm at not going to overeat or gorge on cookies at the office holiday party.... especially since I've already snacked (okay, ate them for breakfast) on the cookies I made for the party!

Breakfast of champions, don'tcha know. :)
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    Love it! This would make a great on-going thread. More goals! :)
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Love it! This would make a great on-going thread. More goals! :)

I agree. We could post the next day if we met our goal and a post our new goal for that day.
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    I met my goal for yesterday! Ate three balanced meals, went out with friends after dinner to avoid any temptation. Went to bed 5 hours after dinner, and woke up feeling much better.
    Just for today: I'm going to go to the gym for 30 min of cardio and 20 min of strength training in addition to eating 3 balanced meals.

And you?
    -OB
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Awesome OB!!

I met my goal, too. I couldn't go to the gym after work because I've been waiting at home for someone to come fix my broken oven. So, instead, I ran to the store and bought BL Boot Camp and did Level 1, which is 30 minutes!! I burned almost as many calories as I when I do C25K. I was impressed!! I'll probably be doing it again tonight.

Just for today... I will have a healthy lunch. I wasn't able to make my lunch today so I either have to get food from the cafeteria at work or go out. Definitely will be a challenge.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    thanks. that reminder really helps. I have had a couple of rough weeks, and reminding myself to take it one day at a time gives me some more faith!