Comments on the Fitbit tracker?!?

Options
dorite7
dorite7 Posts: 27 Member
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing the fitbit tracker.....anyone out there have an opinion on them??

Replies

• stephaniepeden21
    stephaniepeden21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is a Fitbit tracker? I was thinking about purchasing a calories burned counter watch so that way I can keep better track of my calories burned.
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've owned my fitbit for 3 months, and I absolutely LOVE it. If you're planning on linking it to mfp though, just beware that the fitbit is going to give you a whole bunch of extra calories throughout the day based on how many you burn, however, until the day is done, it's only a prediction, so it's pretty easy to go over on calories if you're not paying attention. But, if you follow the instructions mfp gives you to use it, it's a wonderful tool. :smile:
  • stephaniepeden21
    stephaniepeden21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    nevermind I googled it! I really like the fitbit tracker kind of expensive and bulky.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I saving the money for a fitbit, not only to keep better track of my calories, but to help me with my sleeping issues. Not sure how it can help on the front, except it says it will show my sleep activity?
  • cindygeskin
    cindygeskin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We all just got fitbits at work from my employer as part of a "health challenge." I've used mine for 30 days now and I love it. I would highly recommend it and it integrates seamlessly with MFP. My only caution is that if you are a runner, as I am, you cannot get it to read your distance accurately for each run so it's likely not estimating calorie burn very accurately. There have been 2x that I ran a 10k race (6.2 miles) and it only measured 4 - 4.5 miles...I use a GPS for my runs, so I don't need it for my distance calc, and I actually don't mind underestimating my calorie burn - I'll just eat less then!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've owned my fitbit for 3 months, and I absolutely LOVE it. If you're planning on linking it to mfp though, just beware that the fitbit is going to give you a whole bunch of extra calories throughout the day based on how many you burn, however, until the day is done, it's only a prediction, so it's pretty easy to go over on calories if you're not paying attention. But, if you follow the instructions mfp gives you to use it, it's a wonderful tool. :smile:

I had that issue and found directions on MFP somewhere - if I work out on the elliptical the fitbit will give me extra cals for steps taken - but if I input my start time on MFP and the lenght (example 20 minutes on elliptical beginning at 4:15) MFP balances the calories back out.

***Edit -

I love mine. I've been using it for a month and I especially love how it integrates with MFP. That's actually how I found this site (and all the great peeps) in the first place.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I got mine in April and wear it every day. I have my profile set to sedentary so it's great when extra calories pop onto my account when I sync in the evening on more active days :-) It's a great encouragement to keep active and do more than you would normally bother to do.
  • khein33
    khein33 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have had my tracker for about 3 months and I like it a lot. It will track how many steps you take, how many flights of stairs and how many calories you burn. Now, it isn't 100% accurate but it does a really good job at telling the difference between your real steps and you just shaking the crap out of it to add steps. However, I noticed if I clip mine to my bra, it records steps I didn't take. I'm guessing it's due to me being at my desk and twisting and moving my arms a lot, which then moves my boulders-- making my tracker think I'm walking when I'm not. So, I'd say to keep it on your waist. It is very light and I always forget I even have it on. It's tiny and stays out of the way. It even gives you little motivation messages on it every so often.

As for the tracking with your sleep-- you wear it on your wrist (supported by a band that they give you). It will track what time you feel asleep, how many times you woke up (will even tell you the times you woke up and how long you were awake) and will tell you how much total sleep you got. It will also give you a percentage of the total sleep you got versus how long you were in bed. Pretty neat to see it!

So-- I'd say YES- I recommend it!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've only had mine for a week, but I am already loving it. It has really helped me to get an idea of what my actual TDEE is, rather than having to use activity modifiers. I actually found that I was overestimating my average daily burn, which explains why my weight loss had stalled.

I have my MFP calorie allowance set to 20% below average TDEE, so I don't use the extra calories the FB gives me. I just delete them. I still use my Polar HRM to determine calories used for bike rides and log them to MFP.

I like that the FitBit is small and discreet. I wear mine clipped to the side of my bra and even when wearing tight shirts it is not visible. It can easily fit in a pocket as well.

To me it was well worth the $99 price tag.
  • katcrowder
    katcrowder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in that I love mine, too! It's great to see the steps and flights accumulate!
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I saving the money for a fitbit, not only to keep better track of my calories, but to help me with my sleeping issues. Not sure how it can help on the front, except it says it will show my sleep activity?

The fitbit measures quality of sleep based on whether or not you are "active" or "inactive" while you're in bed, then it gives you a sleep quality percentage. When you're getting ready for bed, you turn on the stopwatch feature (just hold down the button until it starts) and put it in the provided cloth sleeve, then turn the stopwatch off (the same way as turning it on) when you wake up.
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my Fitbit!!! Yes it was a bit expensive, but totally worth it. I am a teacher, so it is great to see how I am able to incorporate being active into my job. Plus it pushes me to take more steps and go just a bit farther or go up just one more flight of stairs!
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I bloody love it. I had plateaued before it, and after it i lost 15lb
  • KidTarget
    KidTarget Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both have them. They are great, very much worth it.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It's a decent pedometer but it's not as good as some might lead you to believe. While it says it tracks sleep, that's not totally true. It tracks your movement. So, if you move about at all while sleeping, it shows you as awake. On the other hand, if you quietly are in the bed reading, not moving, it may show you as sleeping. Not at all accurate.

It also misses floors at times. Sometimes when you walk a flight of stairs, it won't show it. And, when you don't walk stairs, it shows you as having done so.

Moreover, it takes calories from your BMR and not calories burned in activity only. Therefore, you can easily be misled into thinking you've burnt more calories in activity than you have in reality.

It tracks steps reasonably well and accurately. But it does not track other activities like weight lifting or yoga as just two examples. Also, it does not show the speed at which you are walking. For the price, it should at least do that.

But, it's handy and small. Some people love theirs. Or say they do perhaps trying to justify paying so much. They're not too sturdy and many people have to have them replaced multiple times.

Finally, customer support stinks. It's all by email and you may not get a reply to a week or more.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ive had mine since first week of June and I love it and as far as it being bulky....my Significant other didn't find out until approx 2 weeks ago that I had it and it's only cause he found the charging station. And he's very very touchy but didn't notice on my pants or my bra.
  • johnsonjohn
    Options
    Personally, I believe heart rate monitors are the way to go for tracking calories burned. I have been using a mid priced one now for about a month and I love it! Everyone is different when it comes to daily activity and exercise, keeping track of your heart rate is the only way in my opinion to get an accurate idea! Walking or running two miles is totally different for someone who is just starting a weightloss program compared to someone who has been running for a longer period of time. Your heart rate is your metabolism!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my fitbit - I've had it just over 1 1/2 months... and its totally made a difference in my exercise patterns and goals..it was worth every nickel for me
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Considering one myself (in addition to a HRM).

(Posting so I'm reminded to check this thread later.)
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've had it for a day and I am in a serious love/hate relationship. It motivates me to move more in my office enviorns for sure.