Do you still see "fat you"

Options
To those that have lost a fair amount of weight , do you "see" it clearly, the loss I mean. Or do you still see the fat version of yourself.
I have been posting alot of pictures lately b/c they help me to really look at myself. Its a strange thing, I know my size 14 clothes don't fit, I know the scale says I am down 62lbs from my highest weight, I know that I look different yet, I still see myself as an overweight person. I struggle to wear tank tops still (but I do wear them), since my arms are my "trouble area" the place I was/am most embarrassed by. I still feel like ppl are seeing me as overweight.
Sometimes I get this moment of clarity, like when I fit into size 6 jeans, GASP, but it doesn't seem to last long enough.

Any advice or experience ?. I just want to enjoy this new body I am working so hard on. I ordered a tank that says " Strong is the new Skinny" and I don't honestly know if I will wear it outside my own house :(.

Replies

• hazyjel74
    hazyjel74 Posts: 45
    Options
    If you keep up your eating/exercise regime or whatever I don't see why you would see yourself as overweight. Know that if you keep going, one day you'll never feel like that.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I went from 255 down to 192 and I'm 5'8. i still have about 30lbs to lose but when I stand in front of the mirror naked, I still see my fat self lol. I notice lots in pictures though, and when I'm wearing clothes
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65lbs and yes, I sitll see myself the way I was back then.
    It's a hard thing to change how you perceive yourself in your own head.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    I still feel like that and Im just over 9stone but I cant help it :/
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am short at 5 Ft tall. I feel like this all the time! I have lost 34 lbs andI get compliments about how great I look and how "small" I am now, but I still don't feel like I am those things. I am actually still in the overweight category realistically. I have struggled my entire life with my weight from age 13 and on. Genetically, I am bigger in some areas that I don't want to be so I believe that's why I feel and see myself this way. I'm aware of my accomplishments, but when I was younger I was the "big" girl in school and I still feel like that same little girl.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    When I was anorexic in high school I thought I looked fat. Looking back on old pictures I was actually scary skinny and bony. I have always felt bigger no matter what my weight.
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Crazy thing is for me it's the opposite! I still think of myself as 130 pounds when I am really 149. Only when I see pictures does reality set in.
    I was always very thin. Hundred and five pounds when I got married 25 years ago. I'm 5'4
  • Run4itmama
    Run4itmama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's hard sometimes for the mind to keep up with the body!!! Geat job and congrats -- keep up the amazing work, you are definately an inspiration!:wink:
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i started at 350 and an now 207 and sometimes when i go shopping Ill pick up the size 16 and look at it sand say i can tell by looking at this that its too small so i get and 18 or 20 and then its too big...not sure why I do this..Im always surprise when the 14 or 16 actually fit and think to myself this brand must run big
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i started at 350 and an now 207 and sometimes when i go shopping Ill pick up the size 16 and look at it sand say i can tell by looking at this that its too small so i get and 18 or 20 and then its too big...not sure why I do this..Im always surprise when the 14 or 16 actually fit and think to myself this brand must run big

this. This is exactly what I meant. I had to try a 6 a three dif stores to believe it, and I still say things like "well at H&M I was an 8 or 10", or stores must be running big. I don't know why, I can't grasp the idea I , ME, who has been a 14 for around 8yrs now, IS a six. Thats not possible.

Thank you everyone, its good to not be alone in feeling this way. I know this is as much mental as it is physical and I need my mind to catch up.
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That was one of the things that would make me give up on losing... Here's something that I did when I was getting ready to lose weight: I drew (and I don't draw very well) my fat body (lots of blobs and globs) and wrote all the labels I could think of on it--fat, flabby, unattractive...all the ones that float in my head when I'd look in the mirror. Then I drew my curvy, not-fat self and wrote all the labels I want to have float in my head. I keep the two pictures in the back of my journal and pull them out once in a while. I've lost the 1st 20 lbs (I don't weigh in but once a week so my ticker doesn't show it); and for the first time I've lost weight, I'm seeing the loss. The two sets of labels are kinda mixed up, but I'm seeing myself more clearly...
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I see the fat me. I'm at goal but I still see flubber. When I am folding laundry I still hold up my pants and think they must belong to someone else. It is amazing the tricks our minds play on us. Even when I get compliments I think "ugh, you haven't seen my flubber". You're not alone, I'm wondering myself how long before the fat girl is gone from my mind.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless I am caught off guard when I glance at my legs or biceps, I still see myself as a size 16. I'm a size 6 now, but I don't believe I am. I actually think the sizing on clothes is wrong. I don't think I'll ever feel differently.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    I still "SEE" the fat me...even after 40 lbs gone and from size 52 pants to size 46 that are loose today. I suppose because I have another 60 to lose it just seems like a drop in the bucket. We are works in progress..... I wish you well!!
    :drinker:
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    I'm sure I don't 100% see it, because. like today, I have these random and little "wow" moments... Like I can tell from pictures and looking at myself that my face is a lot thinner... but today I glanced in the mirror and had to do a double take and look harder because it hit home just how *much* thinner by face is now.

But generally speaking? I totally can tell I've lost a lot. I'm pretty vain about it, really. I like seeing myself in the wall mirrors at the gym and whenever I go to a class I spend the first few minutes before it starts checking myself out lol. Seeing before and after pics make it very clear for me, too.
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    I've barely begun, but I am almost certain that I will feel this way. I have been large my entire life so the thought of me being smaller will probably not compute. We will see.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have lost 200 pounds since 2002 and sometimes when I look in the mirror I still see a 400 pound person. I don't know if it will ever change.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've lost 112 so far from size 28 to 14, I don't see it either. The lady in charge of my support group says it takes your brain 3 years to catchup with the weight loss and she feels that is why alot of people gain it back and don't see it either. I now know what a person with anorxia or bolemia feels. We see all the bones and they think they're fat.

I too look at my clothes and say "this is way too small" and then I put them on and they fit fine. Why can't I see the weight loss?
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Yep. I still struggle with this.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've lost three stone and I yep, I do still feel the same.