Starbucks Iced Coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    They make their iced tea and iced coffee with some amount of sugar already added.
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    But really...I'm not addicted or anything... :blushing: :love: :ohwell:
  • JamesDonato76
    Options
    I stick to just iced coffe black. That's 0 calories right?
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If I'm paying $5 for my favorite Starbucks drink, I'm not sweating the calories/fat/whatever. :drinker:

My triple venti cafe mocha with whole milk and whipped cream is likely around 500 calories.......LOL
    It's my once a month (IF that often) treat.

LOL! I could use my iced white chocolate mocha right about now! I don't even remember the last time I had it.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I was looking into this the other day and from what I understood, they have unsweetened and sweetened. When you are ordering black iced coffee, be sure to ask for the unsweetened one and you will have about 5 calories.
  • Meghatron89
    Options
    The iced coffee comes with sweetener by the recipe unless you ask for it without, so that calorie count is for the sugar. Iced coffee black with no sweetener or milk is 0 calories. I'm a barista with a company that serves the starbucks coffee.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I stick to just iced coffe black. That's 0 calories right?

Coffee usually has about 2 calories per 6 oz (well the kind I make at home does). Dunkin Donuts med iced black has 15 and the large has 20.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you are worried, tell the barista that you just want a plain black iced coffee with nothing in it. There should be little to no calories in that.

I make my own iced coffee everyday with my Keurig. I brew a 10oz cup over ice and add a bit of soy or 2% milk. I have one of those plastic Copco cups with a straw. Saves me time and $$.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to work at Starbucks.
    The 90 cals is a glitch on the website. If you just order an "iced coffee" it would automatically come with the Classic Syrup (same a simple syrup). That's where the 90 cals is coming from. If you get it black, then it's about 5-15 calories, just the same as black coffee or an iced Americano.

And in reply to an earlier post stating that they make their iced coffees and teas already with sugar, that's not true. The default RECIPE calls for added syrup, but you can order it without. The iced tea and coffee itself has no sweetner.
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    If you order black coffee and then put it over ice then it's completely different than Starbucks' "Iced Coffee". They actually "pre-make" their iced coffee and it has added extras. You can get it "unsweetened" but it still contains more than just "coffee on ice." I don't remember what all they put in it, but they will tell you if you ask. So you have to ask for "Iced Black Coffee with no sweetener and no milk" in order for it to be the 0 calorie drink.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My Starbucks friend just got back to me and said: "It's def off. It is 0 calories unless you get it sweetened then it would be 90. We brew it at double strength and then add ice."

As others have said, the website is glitched, so is the phone app, because even if you customize your drink, omitting the syrup, it shows as 90 calories for a Grande.

Silly Starbucks! :tongue:
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    They make their iced tea and iced coffee with some amount of sugar already added.

False. I work at Starbucks and they iced coffee and iced tea are not pre-sweetened. However, it is considered "standard" to add sweetener to the iced coffees and teas, although most baristas will ask if you want it or not. Just liked whipped cream on frappuccinos and mochas is considered to be standard, or like pickles on a burger at McD's (I haven't eaten there, so that is a guess).

Starbucks is terrible at updating their website and it glitches all the time. There are flyers in most stores that should be on the condiment bar or available on request that have all the up-to-date nutrition info.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    If you order black coffee and then put it over ice then it's completely different than Starbucks' "Iced Coffee". They actually "pre-make" their iced coffee and it has added extras. You can get it "unsweetened" but it still contains more than just "coffee on ice." I don't remember what all they put in it, but they will tell you if you ask. So you have to ask for "Iced Black Coffee with no sweetener and no milk" in order for it to be the 0 calorie drink.

False. The iced coffee is a basic coffee that is brewed double strength and then iced. There is NOTHING added until the customer asks. If a store is pre-adding sweetener, then you should report them to corporate. It is standard in the recipe to add it, but it is not premixed anymore than we premix milk with chocolate for a mocha.

(edited for clarification)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    crimson_seven - thanks for your confirmation on this! I will continue to enjoy my Starbucks iced coffee - it's been my addiction during these hot summer days! :smile: