Divas at the gym (RANT)

Options
pratod
pratod Posts: 68 Member
I took a body pump class today and the guy next to me was grunting up a storm the whole time, SO LOUDLY! He also struck these exaggerated poses in between each set to demonstrate his exhaustion (ie doubling over clutching his abs). Because of all his noise, everyone in the class was staring at our corner most of the time, making ME feel self-conscious and distracting me from my workout.

I know that everyone's body is different and maybe he's nursing an injury or something but this guy looked really fit and he was lifting the same amount of weight as me (a 19 year old female who started lifting 2 months ago...) for most of the class.

I'm all for doing what you gotta do to get work done at the gym but there comes a point where you're just begging for attention.

*Rant over*

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I took a body pump class today and the guy next to me was grunting up a storm the whole time, SO LOUDLY! He also struck these exaggerated poses in between each set to demonstrate his exhaustion (ie doubling over clutching his abs). Because of all his noise, everyone in the class was staring at our corner most of the time, making ME feel self-conscious and distracting me from my workout.

I know that everyone's body is different and maybe he's nursing an injury or something but this guy looked really fit and he was lifting the same amount of weight as me (a 19 year old female who started lifting 2 months ago...) for most of the class.

I'm all for doing what you gotta do to get work done at the gym but there comes a point where you're just begging for attention.

*Rant over*

I'm betting that by the 6th post in this thread, somebody will be telling you how horrible you are and maybe the guy has this or that and maybe something else and who are you to judge and why can't we all just get along and if you don't like it you should not be in the class and......

Change that, by the 4th post......
  • pratod
    Options
    Haha! I know, I'm a terrible person! This guy probably only has 3 days left to live or something. I apologize in advance everyone! But... if you can't vent on random internet forums then where can you...
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Haha! I know, I'm a terrible person! This guy probably only has 3 days left to live or something. I apologize in advance everyone! But... if you can't vent on random internet forums then where can you...

I started a rant thread couple months ago about the gym guy I hate. He does circuits, leaves weights everywhere, drops weights and the worst thing is when he is doing bench presses, he sports an obvious hard on. About half the posts following were all about how nasty I was.
  • pratod
    Options
    Ahh I guess I should just give up while i'm ahead... I retract all inflammatory statements and would now like this thread to focus on singing kumbaya and affirming one another's annoying habits. :flowerforyou:
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I thought only women could be divas?
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options

*Rant over*

I'm betting that by the 6th post in this thread, somebody will be telling you how horrible you are and maybe the guy has this or that and maybe something else and who are you to judge and why can't we all just get along and if you don't like it you should not be in the class and......

Change that, by the 4th post......

LOL!!
  • pratod
    Options
    This thread is obviously about equality so gender exclusivity is not encouraged
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options

yep. I have heard a man is called a Divo...IDK sounds silly..lol
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Wasnt there a group with that name in the 80s. They wore strange hats. Excuse me my age is showing.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Devo, not Divo :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Wasnt there a group with that name in the 80s. They wore strange hats. Excuse me my age is showing.

Devo:

devo.jpg
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've met MANY males who were divas and drama queens (kings?) I encounter them mostly in the workplace, but they congregate at the gym too.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I probably would have asked him if he could quiet down...but I'm rude like that....hahahaha
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options

That was Devo! "Are we not men? We are Devo!"
  • Tysonhi98
    Tysonhi98 Posts: 21
    Options
    haha, my local gym is full of these, ya gotta laugh though :)
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    Ha, there was a guy at my gym the other day who did pretty much the same thing in the strength training section. It was hilarous. And he was SUPER in shape, grunting and moaning and making these weird hissing noises through his teeth.

The best part was the 80 year old woman on the machine across from him was giving him a horrible look while doing like 200lbs on the hip abductor lol. "Im 4 times your ages and you don't see me making them noises. Quiet your *kitten* down, fool"
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'm scared of the men that grunt loudly. Honestly they freak me out a little and I've seen some guys who appear to be looking for attention by doing it, like they want strangers to marvel that he's lifting so heavy. Yeah hi we're all in the weight room lifting heavy things. I remember one guy like a month ago, he had a trainer with him and he was adamant he could show his trainer he had successfully upped his weights without him just so he could be bumped up to the next level and when he failed I thought he was going to cry. He whined and kept saying, "but it just did it the other day!" and "don't tell anyone I didn't level up, man, don't do it!" I felt kinda embarrassed for him.

The worst was the one guy that left all his sweat on a bench one day. I'd been waiting to use it and when he was done he gave me this look like "oh yeah I just left you the best goddamn present ever on that bench. I dare you to wipe it up." The ultimate punishment was the fact the wipe paper dispenser was empty.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

I started a rant thread couple months ago about the gym guy I hate. He does circuits, leaves weights everywhere, drops weights and the worst thing is when he is doing bench presses, he sports an obvious hard on. About half the posts following were all about how nasty I was.

Both genders have equal opportunity to be morons at any given place at any given time. The stupidity was with the actions and the mentality, not with what was or was not dangling between their legs.
  • pratod
    Options
    So glad to hear other people experience this too!
  • pratod
    Options
    Ha, there was a guy at my gym the other day who did pretty much the same thing in the strength training section. It was hilarous. And he was SUPER in shape, grunting and moaning and making these weird hissing noises through his teeth.

The best part was the 80 year old woman on the machine across from him was giving him a horrible look while doing like 200lbs on the hip abductor lol. "Im 4 times your ages and you don't see me making them noises. Quiet your *kitten* down, fool"

I love this!