cardio weekly?

Options
So I pretty much got to where I am now by just doing cardio everyday and not any strength training. I'm basically at my goal, and I just started a weight program, but I want to decrease my cardio. For the past two weeks I've been on the treadmill 3 times a week for about 30 minutes each time and weights three times a week? Does this sound like enough cardio to still lose a few more lbs? I've been in a mindset for so long that all i need is cardio and now that I don't have much more to lose it's hard to wrap my head around it. It kinda feels like I'm not doing anything at all. So I'm pretty lost.

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    If you are still trying to lose than you should increase it... your body is probably used to doing the 30 minutes and it could benefit from more, either adding in a day or 2 or increasing the time, also you would probably really benefit from doing some intervals, they really make a difference, (if you aren't already doing so) Or try a different machine, hope I was able to help a little, good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I recently read somewhere that the amount of time for cardio has increased to 1 hour/day, but that is if you are overweight (they actually recommend 90 minutes)
    I would just change up your routine and do more dynamic cardio - maybe like HIIT or Tabata.
  • lbpw
    lbpw Posts: 77
    Options
    thanks for the tips. i actually used to do about an hour on the treadmill but i wore myself out, so i just recently started doing 30. haha i dont know if i could physically add anymore days. i have started running off and on so hopefully that shocks my body or something.
  • VballLeash
    Options
    I think you should change your routine, I run outside but I also cross train with the elliptical and other machines and it makes you a better runner and helps your muscles recover... so I'd say give that a try and see how much you can do, just increase it gradually like you would anything else!

~Leash :heart:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    I recently read somewhere that the amount of time for cardio has increased to 1 hour/day, but that is if you are overweight (they actually recommend 90 minutes)
    I would just change up your routine and do more dynamic cardio - maybe like HIIT or Tabata.

What article was this? 90 minutes is a lot for everyday, especially if you are just maintaining.

~Leash
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If your gym offers classes look into some of the weight classes. My Y has some cardio weight classes that are great at doing both. They are actually not "cardio" classes, but because they keep things moving and do a lot of squats and lunges and things it works out to be a cardio weights class. I burn about 400 calories in 50 minutes plus have nice sore arms and other muscles the next day from increasing my weights.

The other thing you can do is your 30 mins on the elliptical and then 15 mins of weights. Gives you both. Pick upper body one day, lower the next - rotate. Find a routine you like so you are moving quickly from machine to machine. or you can do circuit training and move back and forth between the weights and the cardio machines. I don't know much about that though so you'd need to look up a routine you like.

And lastly - depending on where you live (safety/weather) and how you like to exercise - park 1/2 mile away from the gym - run to the gym for 30 mins of weights and run back to your car. it gives it some variety.

If you are still trying to lose weight, just a deficit of calories WILL do that. It is important once you get near your weight to put on some muscle so that your body will burn the calories itself and when you do cardio will in turn burn more. It should help with "that last 10" (but do know that you may GAIN some weight if you put on muscle)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

What article was this? 90 minutes is a lot for everyday, especially if you are just maintaining.

~Leash

Alicia - I think it's actually being run on TV during football - minimum 1 hour... I'm searching for the article that promoted 90 for overweight...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    So I pretty much got to where I am now by just doing cardio everyday and not any strength training. I'm basically at my goal, and I just started a weight program, but I want to decrease my cardio. For the past two weeks I've been on the treadmill 3 times a week for about 30 minutes each time and weights three times a week? Does this sound like enough cardio to still lose a few more lbs? I've been in a mindset for so long that all i need is cardio and now that I don't have much more to lose it's hard to wrap my head around it. It kinda feels like I'm not doing anything at all. So I'm pretty lost.

I alternate between strength training days, and cardio days. 3 and 3, then take a day off. Since I've been training for a 5K, my cardio never exceeds 40 minutes, but my strength training frequently goes over an hour. That's just because changing weights is a big time consumer, but my HR is elevated while I'm doing that.

But to answer your question, 3 times a week is enough to shed a "few" pounds. (provided you're eating correctly)
  • VballLeash
    Options

~Leash

Alicia - I think it's actually being run on TV during football - minimum 1 hour... I'm searching for the article that promoted 90 for overweight...

O ok thanks girl! No biggie if you can't find it I was just curious.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters much whether you work out for 30 minutes 3 times a week, or 2 hours a day, 6 days a week on cardio. It matters whether you are above, at, or below your maintenance calories if you are talking about weight loss. Just remember if you are at your goal weight now, then the weight will come off slowly, don't try to push it, 1/4 to 1/2 lb per week is about all you should expect if you're looking to get rid of just a few lbs.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

~Leash

I think these are the commercials that just promote 60 minutes of active "play" for children in an effort to raise awareness for and prevent childhood obesity.