Any Marathon Runners Out There?

Options

Replies

• Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hello, hello!

I'm doing a marathon as well in November. Just started running in February.... guess I'm a little ambitious. Or crazy. I've heard both sides of people either swearing they shed weight like crazy while training or the complete opposite. I'm hoping to experience option A.

It all depends on how you handle things. Most of what I have read, when you train for a marathon you're burning a ton of calories but you also get hungrier because your body is wanting more fuel. I also personally know a few people who allow not so healthy foods to creep back in because they do burn so many calories in the day. If you continue to watch what you eat and get enough fuel to keep your body moving well (you'll need more for longer runs of course!) you can probably lose some weight, but I wouldn't rely on it being the only thing you need to do to drop the pounds!

I'm attempting to do my first Marathon on Jan 1. But, I'm more of a wogger (walking jogger) than a full out runner. I can run 2-2.5 miles without stopping but that's about it. I'm also not fast....at all! But, it's still a goal! I've completed 3 1/2 marathons, so I think it's time to push it a little further.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    MCM was my first, in 2010. It's a well supported race, but not without large marathon logistical issues. Finish in anything over 4 hours and you may have to wait 60 to 90 minutes to get on the subway. I finished in just under 3:40 and it was already becoming a zoo down on the platform.

In 2009 we waited for a taxi for about 2 hours. Still, one of the best marathons that I have run... and hope to run it again someday. :)

Oh, and ran my 5th marathon this Spring (Run for the Red, Poconos PA) and will hopefully run my 6th this Fall (Steamtown, Scranton PA).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    MCM was my first, in 2010. It's a well supported race, but not without large marathon logistical issues. Finish in anything over 4 hours and you may have to wait 60 to 90 minutes to get on the subway. I finished in just under 3:40 and it was already becoming a zoo down on the platform.

In 2009 we waited for a taxi for about 2 hours. Still, one of the best marathons that I have run... and hope to run it again someday. :)

Oh, and ran my 5th marathon this Spring (Run for the Red, Poconos PA) and will hopefully run my 6th this Fall (Steamtown, Scranton PA).

Steamtown, eh? That was on my list of possibles for this year. High percentage of BQs come from that race. Make sure you do some downhill training. :)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Rock N Roll St Louis, in October. It'll be my second. Did my first back in 2007. I was dumb self-trained running newbie back then. Oh, the horror... Signed up for a training team this marathon. My thinking is, if I really want to race well, then it needs to be somebody else's job to make sure that happens.

Here's to a happy healthy injury free summer!
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm running NYC Marathon in November. It will be my second marathon and my second time running the NYC Marathon!

I'm running NYC too :smile: So excited. It'll be my 6th marathon, 1st NYC though...
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    I've done a 50K and a full marathon so far this year. I picked longer distances because I wasn't getting any faster in my half-marathons. But as I trained longer, I found myself getting faster at shorter distances, so my next race (Sept 30) will be a half. I want to blow the doors off my PR. Then I'll probably switch back to fulls and longer, which I really enjoy.

I've followed several books and websites, with mixed results. Made a lot of mistakes and hopefully learned from them. Any of you can feel free to pick my brain if you want to.

I do recommend www.mcmillanrunning.com and www.halhigdon.com for sensible, useful advice and a variety of training programs.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running marathon #26 at the end of the month (San Francisco).

Fighting some recent glute & hamstring soreness, so I hope I'm good to go for race day.
  • atsteele
    Options

Steamtown, eh? That was on my list of possibles for this year. High percentage of BQs come from that race. Make sure you do some downhill training. :)

Did Steamtown last Fall. Doing it again this Fall since I loved it so much. I did hills on my long runs for my training and it was quite helpful... although honestly the quads were still killing me after the race for days. LOL
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I will be eventually. I plan on getting at least 2 under my belt before IMAZ 2013.
  • atsteele
    Options
    Running marathon #26 at the end of the month (San Francisco).

Fighting some recent glute & hamstring soreness, so I hope I'm good to go for race day.

#26 marathons: Just absolutely amazing!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm running NYC Marathon in November. It will be my second marathon and my second time running the NYC Marathon!

I'm running NYC too :smile: So excited. It'll be my 6th marathon, 1st NYC though...

I'm running NYC as well! For the second time!
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    I've run 18 marathons... if anyone needs help or advice, just let me know.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I will be eventually. I plan on getting at least 2 under my belt before IMAZ 2013.

Which races are you looking at?

You can't go wrong with LA.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'll be running one on October 14th. The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon in Toronto. This will be my second time running it.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Which races are you looking at?

You can't go wrong with LA.

LA, OC or Surf City in some combination. Any good ones you would recommend around July/August?
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first full Sept. 30th, the Smuttynose Rockfest Marathon in Hampton Beach NH. I just started running last summer and ran my first race last September (5K), since then a few more 5k's a 10k and 2 Halfs. Not looking for a great time in the full just want to finish. I am self training following Cool Running's beginner marathon plan, so far so good (if only it would cool off a little outside). I am open to any advice and would be more than happy to have some beginner marathon friends so feel free to add me.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 6th full marathon on September 23 - Fox Cities Marathon in Appleton, WI. It's going to be a "fun run" for me - I'm pacing my mom for her first marathon and it falls the day before her 50th birthday. I'm already debating what to put on a sign to carry along with me so people can cheer her on.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm farther out. January I'm running the goofy challenge. Saturday a half and Sunday a full. Just getting started with training and trying to get my diary cleaned up! I'm a slow runner but run so I can finish!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm farther out. January I'm running the goofy challenge. Saturday a half and Sunday a full. Just getting started with training and trying to get my diary cleaned up! I'm a slow runner but run so I can finish!
    Don't let her fool you. She's done it before. Just sayin. :D
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am training for a Half in October with hopes of being ready for the Rock n Roll Marathon Phoenix in January. Good luck!