Documentary- Why Are Thin People Not Fat?

Options
eig6
eig6 Posts: 249 Member
I like to watch documentaries about weight and health and this one is an interesting change from the usual, instead of studying people who are big and trying to find out why, they are studying naturally thin people and trying to find what is different. Haven't seen it all but the first two parts have been really interesting! Heres the link if anyone else finds this kind of stuff fascinating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-A0iHSdcA

Replies

• leia_ophelia
    leia_ophelia Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Watching!
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    Cool!!! My husband is 5'10 and 125 lbs so this may benefit us. Of course I'm on the losing weight end of the scale.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this will be very interesting
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out that link tomorrow...going to get to bed now. But one thing I remember from Jenny Craig years ago that is true is thin people eat till they are satisfied and stop....and have no problem leaving food on their plate. So we were told to always leave something on our plate. Its a hard thing to do when you have been conditioned from childhood to eat everything on your plate.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to that question myself, as I know many very thin people who eat just as much if not more than I ever have, yet I am obese and they are not. My cousin, for one. I've never seen anyone who could put away so much junk food, soda, and syrupy sweet tea in my life, but he's always been gangly (and he's a gamer, so he's really sedentary for the most part). Although, since he's a little older now it's starting to catch up to him.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I like to watch documentaries about weight and health and this one is an interesting change from the usual, instead of studying people who are big and trying to find out why, they are studying naturally thin people and trying to find what is different. Haven't seen it all but the first two parts have been really interesting! Heres the link if anyone else finds this kind of stuff fascinating!

Every controlled study ever done basically said the same thing. Skinny people eat less calories or burn more.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Every controlled study ever done basically said the same thing. Skinny people eat less calories or burn more.

Burn more how, though. Like I mentioned in my comment, my cousin eats huge quantities of high calorie junk all day long, then sits on his rear and plays video games for most of the day. He's certainly not eating less, and if he's burning more, it's not because he's more active. The only option is that he has a faster metabolism, but why? And I think that's really what their looking at. What makes some people's metabolism burn more efficiently than others when diet and exercise do not play a factor?
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    bump
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump. I can't wait to watch this. I'm only on my phone now and can't get to my computer for a few days.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Burn more how, though. Like I mentioned in my comment, my cousin eats huge quantities of high calorie junk all day long, then sits on his rear and plays video games for most of the day. He's certainly not eating less, and if he's burning more, it's not because he's more active. The only option is that he has a faster metabolism, but why? And I think that's really what their looking at. What makes some people's metabolism burn more efficiently than others when diet and exercise do not play a factor?

^ This is not controlled. Chances are he eats less than you think and moves more than you think.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I watched it and it was quite interesting some of the studies they have done, and the results that they have come up with...
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the whole thing yet as I said before, but near the begging of the show they say a study was done on Vermont state prisoners where they asked participants to eat as much as they physically could and some topped out after gaining relatively little. It was an old study though and I haven't looked any further into it but still, its interesting to me. Even if all they find is what we already know, eat less move more, I find these documentaries about these studies interesting .
  • rusialeelee
    rusialeelee Posts: 143
    Options
    Yea I saw this a while back and was a little skeptical.

A couple weeks later my boyfriend got inspired to join MFP to gain weight/muscle. And he seriously eats A LOT (2 or 3 extra helpings-- he's known to eat and eat and not gain weight by all our friends) and does a lot of sports as well.

He tracked his calories for a couple of days. Yes, he ate lots of helpings but only ate ~700 three times a day per meal and maybe some snacks. Plus he works most of it off which puts him at 1,600 cal.. when he should be at ~2,500 to maintain.

This made me believe that what this documentary was saying was true.

It may seem like someone is eating a lot but that's probably all they eat and they are probably very active. You really don't know the lifestyle of some one unless you're with them 24/7... :)
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    True. PLUS, like you said, men need more calories to maintain than women. So the guy who eats a lot and sits on his butt all day could be eating about 2500 cals a day (or whatever number he would need to maintain) and that's why he doesn't gain weight.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

^ This is not controlled. Chances are he eats less than you think and moves more than you think.
    I agree... Junk foods alone don't make you fat. Its the calorie surplus. Also remember than thin people usually fidget more. Did you know that fidgetting also burns calories?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...But one thing I remember from Jenny Craig years ago that is true is thin people eat till they are satisfied and stop....and have no problem leaving food on their plate. So we were told to always leave something on our plate. Its a hard thing to do when you have been conditioned from childhood to eat everything on your plate.

I've always been a thin person and I always clean my plate - I don't like things to go to waste, so I do not like leaving food on my plate at all. And throwing away leftovers drives me crazy. I just take smaller helpings to begin with and go back for small seconds unless I'm full and then I stop. I find that NOT cooking huge amounts of food to begin with works well. If you only have a certain amount to eat, you have to stop when it's gone. :drinker: