Running Shoes

Options
lynda155
lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
I am looking to get the best support for my flat feet for running.... any suggestions?... I have walking shoes and ran in them, but my feet and knees hurt afterwards....

Replies

• myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My husband has flat feet also and really likes the way New Balance running shoes fit. However, I would highly recommend going to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes (not just athletic shoes). They should have staff that know running shoes. They can look at the shape of your foot, your size, your build, how you run, and make recommendations based on what should work best for you. They can sometimes be more expensive but once you know what kind of shoes work best for you, you can look for them on sale other places.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Do not take advice based on what works for others, what works for one will not automatically work for another. There are many, many good shoes and you just need the ones that are right for you. Go to your local running store (not big sporting goods store, but local running store.) Have them fit you properly, they will give you several options, try them out, on their treadmill and in the parking lot (any good store will let you be sure they are the right ones.) Then take them home, do a short run, if they give you problems take them back and try something else (again, any good local running store will let you.) Getting the right shoes is the most important thing you can do. Period. No two people are alike, there is no reason that a shoe that works for one person will work for you.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Start with "Motion Control", but get fitted any way (Fleet Feet or similar)
  • ambermichk
    ambermichk Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i spent part of my day in a shoe store walking in shoes...... i finally found a light pair that are tight on my feet (which feels good on my arthritis oddly enough).... just go to go try some on...... mine were new balance.... running shoes......they are sooooo LIGHT !!!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I went to Fleet Feet and got fitted (gait analysis) and walked away with some Brooks Adrenaline... great shoes!
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with timboom1! I've been running since high school and I still go get fitted at a professional running store (the Boulder Running Co, in Colorado) every time I need new shoes. Even the newer model of the same shoe from last year may change and not work anymore. It's worth the money to make sure the shoes work well for you...in shoes and in medical bills. Welcome to running!! :)
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Nike womens free run 2 = Best running shoe I've ever owned. Highly recommended. But besides my obvious obsession, I'd say check in to your local athletic shoe store and get a custom fitting if you want that perfect fit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=womens+nike+free+run+2&num=10&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=DuIIUI6JI4mfrAHyvbTFCg&sqi=2&ved=0CBEQ_AUoBQ&biw=1252&bih=546
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Nike womens free run 2
    I love my Free Runs

however

(comma)

Advisory: people with "flat" feet tend to moderately to severely overpronate. A minimal shoe (such as the free) is probably not the best-- starting out, for sure-- however, I know a few people that do overpronate, and have been running for years, that were able to make the switch, but it's more difficult than those blessed with neutral striking. Again, we're right now, interested in motion control:
    Nike Zoom Structure, Asics Gel-Foundation

Inserts might also be necessary
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I get my running shoes at Virginia Runner -- they evaluate your walk, gait, arch, etc. and also take into account the terrain that you will be running on then provide you with the best shoes for you. I know there are Runner stores in other states (my sister in Michigan says they have one)... maybe do a search online and see if you have one near you.
  • suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    new balance trail shoes or running shoes.
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    GO TO A RUNNING STORE! They're not pushy and will help fit you to the shoe that is perfect for you. I kept getting shin splints and they wouldn't go away, so I went to a running store found out I actually had pronating ankles and wasn't wearing shoes with enough support - got fitted for shoes, ended up with Brook's Trances and BOOM, splints were gone. Best thing I ever did was take the advice of others and hit up a running store. So you might pay a little more for the shoes and they may not be as pretty, BUT you will feel so much better and be able to do things the other shoes may have been holding you back from. GOOD LUCK! :)
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    As a person with flat feet, New Balance has been my go to. Every. Single. Time.

With that being said, I also don't have a place to go get fitted for shoes at the moment, so the department store is what I;m working with. It really is better to go get measured and spend the money on good shoes. When you run often, you want your shoes to run with you for a good long while. :smooched:
  • tarynnmichelle
    tarynnmichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: Yes, everyone knows you should get fitted at a running store, but if you want an honest opinion about comfort, quality and durability for the cost, here goes....

I love my Asics Gel Kayano 17's. They work well for me and are holding up after many miles. They fit my feet true to size and i have not ever been disappointed in asics running shoes.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get a proper fitting! You need to find the right shoes for YOU - every foot is different.

When I first started, I got terrible shin splints and had a lot of pain in my knees. Not to mention that I sounded like a stampede of elephants. I got fitted and found out that I under-pronate (land on the outside of my feet). The store recommended Brooks Adrenaline. I started running in them - no more shin splints or knee pain. I'm also much quieter now. I spent over $100 on them, but they were worth every penny!! (still cheaper than a gym membership!)

Good luck!
  • Palespyder
    Palespyder Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love my Nike Lunar Eclipse, minimalist shoe, very comfortable
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    Do not take advice based on what works for others, what works for one will not automatically work for another. There are many, many good shoes and you just need the ones that are right for you. Go to your local running store (not big sporting goods store, but local running store.) Have them fit you properly, they will give you several options, try them out, on their treadmill and in the parking lot (any good store will let you be sure they are the right ones.) Then take them home, do a short run, if they give you problems take them back and try something else (again, any good local running store will let you.) Getting the right shoes is the most important thing you can do. Period. No two people are alike, there is no reason that a shoe that works for one person will work for you.

Do this. I used to sell running shoes. What works for one person may not work for another. Get properly fitted and take them home. My last shoe shopping experience took 4 different pairs until I found the ones I love. Its a process, especially for running!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Vote # 15 for "Go to a running store". The staff at any good running store are pros at making sure you have the right shoes for your gait, your size, and your foot oddities. I don't know a single runner who doesn't have a "I was having serious <insert uncomfortable new-runner aliment here> problems so I went to running store to get fitted and now it's gone" story. Unless they took the advice of more experienced runners and went to the running store first. Wear shorts and athletic socks to the fitting (unless you want to buy new socks too), the shorts are so they can see your feet and ankles while you walk/run. If the store is any kind of decent they'll have a treadmill setup that you can run on for observation, and to test fit and feel of the shoes they recommend. Take advantage of it, try all the shoes they tote out and see which ones feel best. Good shoes make or break your running experience.
  • hummus40
    hummus40 Posts: 72
    Options
    i was leery about going to get "fitted" for running shoes .... i mean, its kinda of weird to think that someone could know your feet better than YOU....i had been running all of my LIFE and never had done this until i ran the PIG this year...then, i took the PLUNGE. Not ONLY did i find that i had been buying the wrong type of shoes for my FEET but also that I was buying the WRONG SIZE (an entire SIZE TO SMALL) (i know, what an idiot right?) I never realized that you want more space in those feet so you WANT a bit bigger of a size than what you would wear outside of your running arena.
    anyhow...that having been said I will pretty much always go to have my feet looked upon before I sink another$100.00 or more into a pair of new digs...

(just dont go to ****s lol, they are idiots. go to a LOCAL hometown place like others on this forum have stated, not only are they smart but the LOVE it when someone comes in for a fitting...its their PASSION) :wink:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just naming a brand is pretty meaningless. New Balance (and everyone else) make a variety of shoes for just about every different type of foot and stride. My first running shoes were New Balance and they were perfect for my super high arches and supination. They would have absolutely sucked for someone with flat feet who overpronates. But they're New Balance, and New Balance were recommended for people with flat feet......

All that to say, go get fitted at a real running store and try on about 87 pair of shoes and pick the ones that work/feel best on YOUR feet. Brand means nothing.
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would reccomend the Trainer by ECCO shoes. The soles are made from polyurethane which is the same material roller blade and skateboard wheels are made from so it absorbs the shock instead of your knees or other body parts. Ther shoes are made to work with the movement of your foot. The shoes are somewhat expensive (normally around $200 CDN) however the shoes last 3-5 years if taken care of properly.
    They have amazing arch support!
    Just make sure you are using the shoes properly! NEVER walk in a running shoe or run in a walking shoe! Thats why the trainers are best you are able to do any activity.