Painful R hip after second day of running, why?!

Options
Ok, so I am a horseback rider (jumping) since I was 8 so maybe my pelvis is prone to weirdness because of that. This is post day 2 of beginning my running regime, 12-15 mins of running and 5 mins of warm up and cool down. My R hip is KILLING me! It feels like the joint is 'raw'- it's hard to describe. It also hurts to adduct my thigh past the midline too.

I run on a flat surface in Nike's made for running. This has happened to me in the past, but not this severe! The left one is fine.

Anyone else experience this? When/if does it go away?

TIA!

Replies

• tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Sounds like running. For me it stopped hurting the 2 week of running. Nothing prepares your body completely for running. Just have to give it time. Good luck!
  • literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Could be bursitis? My daughter developed that this spring. Dr. said that you might just land wrong and that can bring it on. Painful, but she was just told to really stretch her hips well (like 15 minutes 3X a day) Alieve and ice.
    She was doing track and working on dance tryouts. Went away after she had a week off from dance between tryouts and new season.

How are you treating it?
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Have you ever run before? If not I'd take it a little slower. Follow a program like couch to 5k. I've never run before ever (unless chased by someone with a chainsaw, then I could book it). 4 weeks in, I'm breaking a mile (very slowly of course). But never having run before my joints are thanking me for slowly building up the endurance. Could it be you are trying for too much too fast and your body is telling you to slow down? Maybe you just need to work yourself up.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My right hip has hurt for about a month or so now. Always worse the day after running. So no advice - but I'm interested in everyone's answers.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I tore my hip flexor years ago from running down a hill with bad form... just kinda went out and I couldn't pick my leg up much after that. Lots of rest. Ice. Ibuprofen. Walking. Stretching... run slower with a shorter stride.
  • 3footEQ
    3footEQ Posts: 11
    Options
    Could be bursitis? My daughter developed that this spring. Dr. said that you might just land wrong and that can bring it on. Painful, but she was just told to really stretch her hips well (like 15 minutes 3X a day) Alieve and ice.
    She was doing track and working on dance tryouts. Went away after she had a week off from dance between tryouts and new season.

How are you treating it?

I just took 3 Advil.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would look in to IT (iliotibial) band stretches- IT band injuries are really common and often mistaken for knee and hip pain. I have to say though, that the "raw joint" descriptor doesn't really fit an IT band issue- but look in to the possibility and incorporate IT band stretches if you need to.
  • 3footEQ
    3footEQ Posts: 11
    Options
    Have you ever run before? If not I'd take it a little slower. Follow a program like couch to 5k. I've never run before ever (unless chased by someone with a chainsaw, then I could book it). 4 weeks in, I'm breaking a mile (very slowly of course). But never having run before my joints are thanking me for slowly building up the endurance. Could it be you are trying for too much too fast and your body is telling you to slow down? Maybe you just need to work yourself up.

I did in high school, but I did not know anything about proper form then. I've watched countless videos on proper running form and where to land on your foot, stride length, etc because I want to do it right this time!

I don't think I'm taking it too fast.. I only run for like, less than 15 minutes and while I do break a sweat, I'm not *dying*.
  • Christine_Bean
    Options
    You may need to strengthen your hip muscle. Google some exercises and see if that helps. Make sure you are stretching the muscle before running too. Ice it for about 15 minutes 3-4 times a day and take some ibuprofen if needed. If it doesn't get better after a few days or it gets worse you may want to go see your doctor to make sure it's not a stress fracture.