Just a rant here... Womens pants sizes. WTF?

Options
JeaninePaige
JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
Y U SO FRUSTRATING?!

Why is it that every brand must make their sizes totally different? Really, is it just to piss us all off? 'Cause it's working.

I can be a size 8 in a pair of jeans and then try another brand and be a 10... Then another brand and I need a 13?!? I absolutely loathe going shopping for bottoms... It is so frustrating.

I literally have to try on so many random sizes to find just one pair that fits.

There should really just be standard measurements, it would make life so much easier.
Like how men's pants are like 32x34, etc? :( Ugh.

Sorry, just had to rant quick since I had to deal with that nightmare today.

Replies

• blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    it's the same with shoes
  • JeaninePaige
    Options
    Ugh, yes. Shoes too. :(
    But at least I don't feel as bad with shoe sizes as I do with clothing sizes.
    I'm working on it though.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Or they go up in increments of two, and you would be the inbetween size that they don't even make.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate it too!!! I went shopping today too. What's even more frustrating is when you Are different sizes even in The same brand! Yuk!
  • blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    so I'm guess you either have wide hips or a big booty ;) which both are good you look great but I'm sure you have your goals just like me just don't lose to much
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'm anywhere from a 2 to a 5 or 7. It's frustrating.

Is it bad that I tend to only wear the brand that I am 2's because the number makes me feel better about myself? :P
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is what I have learned- most stores have their own sizing chart if you order offline measure! then double check! Also before I went out with some friends I looked up some stores (through google) that I knew we would be in like forever21 they have the same thing. Takes up some time yes but in the store I don't have to risk trying pants on that won't fit especially if I am out with people!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's crazy! I wear a 12 in most brands, but then there's one brand I can wear an 8 and another a 14. Wore 11's the other day that I was pulling up all day long because they were trying their best to fall off!
  • lilybear84
    lilybear84 Posts: 57
    Options
    I know what you mean, a 7/9 at Rue 21, a size 12/13 at Ross It makes me feel so bad about myself like what size am I really????
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm anywhere from a 2 to a 5 or 7. It's frustrating.

Is it bad that I tend to only wear the brand that I am 2's because the number makes me feel better about myself? :P

haha I do the same thing :P
  • JeaninePaige
    Options
    I know what you mean, a 7/9 at Rue 21, a size 12/13 at Ross It makes me feel so bad about myself like what size am I really????

Exactly!! It makes me think that my size is "difficult" or totally weird. :(
  • JeaninePaige
    Options
    so I'm guess you either have wide hips or a big booty ;) which both are good you look great but I'm sure you have your goals just like me just don't lose to much

I have both unfortunately lol. Even when I was "skinny". But the grass is always greener on the other side. :P
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The reason for this is because of the different fabrics used. I can fit into a smaller spandex/denim pair of jeans, while a nice dress pant probably wont stretch as much for me.

Its all in the fabric.
  • JeaninePaige
    Options
    Ugh, I hear ya... I was also wearing 11's the other day and pulling them up constantly... I needed to buy a belt.
    But they fit throughout the leg, just not at the waist.
  • JeaninePaige
    Options
    The reason for this is because of the different fabrics used. I can fit into a smaller spandex/denim pair of jeans, while a nice dress pant probably wont stretch as much for me.

Its all in the fabric.

Good point.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's just one more lame marketing ploy to get us to buy. I had a lady at a sewing shop say that if you are a 10 in the store, you are a 12 for patterns, because they haven't changed those. I guess that makes me a 12, boo!:grumble:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is why i pretty much just stick to a few stores for shopping. i dont have patience to go on an easer egg hunt.

oh and i've found that the most generous sizing happens with designers. i have a dress that's labelled as a size 10 and i can assure you i am not a size 10 yet
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I was just complaining ab this to my friend earlier. Amen sister!
  • LaurieInRose
    Options
    While I agree it is aggravating, there are several reasons why it could happen. Depending on where the particular garment you are trying on was in the 'cut pile', it will be larger or smaller. Which means that even the same size from the same manufacturer in the same style could fit differently! Also, and this was something I only learned when my daughter became a teenager, even sizes are 'women's' and odd sizes are 'junior's'. Clothes cut for women are different than clothes cut for juniors.... women's are a bit roomier in the hips generally... there were other differences, but I don't remember then all now. So you may want to go somewhere and try on women's sizes and junior sizes and see which seem to have the right cut for you and then try on several pair of the same style/size pant and see if you find one that fits.
    Frustrating.... absolutely... but, you are looking for clothes in a smaller size (most likely) and that is amazing!
  • tonyaf78
    tonyaf78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    and i thought this wouldn't be an issue anymore once i hit my goal! at my heaviest i was constantly pulling my pants up and even losing my pants (literally)... i think i would do the same thing as one of the other girls stated... find a size that fits at different stores and only buy from the smaller store!!! :laugh: :happy: :tongue: