it's Ramadan ! How do you eat work out ?

Options
Salue
Salue Posts: 46 Member
Hey guy's to all my Muslims Bros/Sister, and also all my other religion bro's and sisters who likes Fasting with us in this month !

Ramadan = Fasting half of the day or more then we can eat :P

i live in Kuwait so im fasting 16Hours a day xD Easy

non the less people i'v been wondering how do you people tend to work out and eat ?

here is my way

Fast all day and do my work and everything normal before Fotoor " Feeding time " in like 1-3hours i work out lifting weights for about an hour or an hour a half, then after im done i'd relax till we can eat, then after i eat i relax for an hour or less then i go for 30-70min Walk then get back home pray and sleep and repeat the whole thing

my advice do NOT over eat because it will be night and u will want to sleep after words so u will gain weight if u eat alot, just eat simple dates soup salad chicken breast and that's it

that's what i do i'v been wondering if there is anyone else fasting what do you guys do ?

Replies

• Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Heya not completely certain myself but would it be possible to wait until you've had a small snack, after sunset, like an apple or some nuts, BEFORE you started working out? You might wanna check it up but if you exercise on an empty stomach - one that's been so empty for so long compared to normal - I think you'd end up losing precious calorie consuming muscle? A lot of my friends fast and I have done it twice out of respect and curiosity but never worked out during. Food was ok, but lack of water oh my gosh I have never appreciated water so much in my life! good luck! :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You might wanna check it up but if you exercise on an empty stomach - one that's been so empty for so long compared to normal - I think you'd end up losing precious calorie consuming muscle?
    Nope. Exercising in a fasted state is better for fat loss than eating first.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You might wanna check it up but if you exercise on an empty stomach - one that's been so empty for so long compared to normal -I think you'd end up losing precious calorie consuming muscle?
    Nope as long as you support your workout with adequate protein & carb intake.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'd faint going 16 hours & being awake without food & then I'd want to stuff my face when I could eat... how the hell does anyone manage that :|
  • Salue
    Options
    Thank's for the Replys and ya working out while fasting burns more fat than muscle ofcourse im working before Fotoor " Feeding time " in like 30min to an hour XD

as for Paige it's super easy it's all about faith XD it's easy to say the truth XD

and for peopel who do fast, don't be lazy and sleep the whole day move around go to work clean the house you know live your life normal but move more, it's better to do so in this month

i THINK fasting in Canada is 20hours or so ?
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong I'm still learning but I thought if op is planning on doing an intense workout before consuming any food or water in the last 16 hours, 1 she'd be dehydrated and 2 if it's intense wont it reduce the effectiveness in the workout? She might burn tons on an empty stomach during the workout but I thought considering her situation she'd want something a little more sustained? We're not talking about an overnight sleep, this is fasting all day without food or water AND going about our day as normal in potentially in hot weather for an entire month.

From my personal experience and those of my friends I'd say if I didn't have a drink or something to restore my energy before a workout my performance would be affected for sure. I hope you find a safe way to work around this it's definitely not easy but very inspirational :)
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Mubarak!
  • Salue
    Options
    not at all, hey i might be even more wrong ofcourse u can always eat + drink before the fasting time begans like around 3am or 4pm then go back to sleep and wake up again and start ur day its better to do it that way, but i don't do it because i can like be with out water or food it's normal for me !

as for being Dehydrated you know your rite you will beb Dehydrated but not like bad Dehydration that will effect your body or anything wrong not at all just don't do intense HEAVY work outs like a 3hour walk om the hot blazing sun XD ? that would kill you :P unless ur trained for it or ti's easy for you !

As for work out last year i used to go to the gym while i was fasting i was able to lift more than on my normal days i had more energy to work out , our body adapts to anything and improves to a better situation to get better result to survive ;3

and thank you, and ofcourse it might be difficult for you to start fasting+ work out and stuff like, but i'v been fasting each year since i was a child " maybe 13years old " so like 10years of fasting maybe that's why it's easy for me and other people who has been fasting for years

like if a new person wants to fast and he/she is 20years and it's her first time fasting it MIGHT be hard, compared to another 20year old who has been fasting his/her whole since they were a child !

non the less i hope i get to lose weight in this month
  • Salue
    Options
    Ramadan Mubarak!

Ramadan Mubarak to you brother ! :D

Ramadan Kareem

may we all be blessed in this holy month XD
  • UmmShahad
    UmmShahad Posts: 37
    Options
    Ramadhan Kareem everyone and Assalamu Alaikum Salue!

Thank you for your post because I too was curious as to how everyone will manage their fasting and exercise, I am planning to do as you are God willing! I am in the UK so it will be a long day too but I am really looking forward to it :)
  • Salue
    Options
    Ramadhan Kareem everyone and Assalamu Alaikum Salue!

Thank you for your post because I too was curious as to how everyone will manage their fasting and exercise, I am planning to do as you are God willing! I am in the UK so it will be a long day too but I am really looking forward to it :)

wo alykum al salam Shahad !

ya i had to do it i saw no one opening a thread so im like let me start and share my way of eating and working out XD

Good luck with you and inshallah " in gods well " you will lose weight and get better in health !
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    It's basically like intermittent fasting. You're just restricted to not eating for specific times of the day (i.e. sunrise till sunset). Therefore just follow a similar plan of intermittent fasting and you should be good. Just make up for the calories when you can eat. And no eating before bed doesn't "turn into fat", eating in a surplus will do that.
  • Salue
    Options
    It's basically like intermittent fasting. You're just restricted to not eating for specific times of the day (i.e. sunrise till sunset). Therefore just follow a similar plan of intermittent fasting and you should be good. Just make up for the calories when you can eat. And no eating before bed doesn't "turn into fat", eating in a surplus will do that.

yup true to what you said, i did say to eat u have to eat :P it's liek u said dont eat in surplus

like i said before, EATING ALOT XD because it will be night time it will be like 7pm when fotoor starts " Feeding time " so some people tend to eat like there is no tomorrow and watch tv a little then sleep which will cause weight gains in this month thats most peoples mistake X_X

and thank's again ! :D for pointing out everything
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Just because you eat at night or eat before sleeping does not mean you would gain any more weight as you would of eaten in the day time. A calorie is a calorie.
  • Salue
    Options
    Just because you eat at night or eat before sleeping does not mean you would gain any more weight as you would of eaten in the day time. A calorie is a calorie.

Thank's ! :D

but are u guys reading what i said, i said do not over eat :P i did not say do not eat XD people tend to eat alot and trust me i used to eat alot and gained weight due to that
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong I'm still learning but I thought if op is planning on doing an intense workout before consuming any food or water in the last 16 hours, 1 she'd be dehydrated and 2 if it's intense wont it reduce the effectiveness in the workout? She might burn tons on an empty stomach during the workout but I thought considering her situation she'd want something a little more sustained? We're not talking about an overnight sleep, this is fasting all day without food or water AND going about our day as normal in potentially in hot weather for an entire month.

From my personal experience and those of my friends I'd say if I didn't have a drink or something to restore my energy before a workout my performance would be affected for sure. I hope you find a safe way to work around this it's definitely not easy but very inspirational :)

^^^^ this

Intermittent fasting type diets are NOT the same as fasting for Ramadan.... Ramadan you refrain from food AND DRINK. Working out while dehydrated is not a good idea!!! Intermittent fasting diets people drink water and many take BCAA supplements to preserve muscle mass during the fast. Both of these would break the fast during Ramadan.

also the fasted thing only goes for cardio, and it doesn't suit everyone. fasted cardio does not work for me, it messes up my blood sugar. doing weights with no carbs in your system = rubbish workout and no benefit.

Best time to workout is after you've given iftaar (post fasting meal) time to go down, so you're well hydrated and have sugar in your system. If you're going to try the fasted cardio thing (there is some evidence you burn marginally more fat doing low intensity cardio after not eating for a long time, although if your workout intensity/duration suffers that can offset the advantages of it), then break your fast with 1 or 3 dates and water (as per the sunnah) then pray, then workout then eat iftaar.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem!

My game plan is to work out about an hour or so before Fatoor ( The breaking of the fast) just to give me enough time to clean up and what not. I'm doing P90x and eating doesn't bother me as much as the lack of water with intense exercise. I think the weight lifting will be fine, I'm just worried a little about the Cardio heavy days.
  • Salue
    Options
    Thank's Dhkaiyya for ur reply ! :D

as for lifting weights while fast i gained Strength + muscle density while fasting, my work out i did them all all prefectly normal but ofcourse i was not doing any body building exercises like chest + biceps and stuff like that i used to SL 5x5 and the result was good

as for now like today i'll be doing chest + biceps but i'll be doing 5reps 5 sets with weights i can kinda handle so it's pretty easy to do lift weights

just avoid bad food at fotoor " feeding time " and lift weights normal don't do like intense work out that will cause u to break down as i stated before, it's better to train and lift weights and do cardio after fotoor " feeding time " that's my advice i tried and many people tried

but ofcourse i might be wrong im not a doctor or anything im just talking with my experience

----

and vtmoon Ramadan KAreem!

Good choice on working before fotoor !

yup weight lifting will be fine with P90x, it's true to what you said i never did P90x but i'v seen it, can u bend it's rules and do Cardio after fotoor " feeding time -Breaking the Fast " after u relax and everything of course ! XD please do reply :D
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    RAMADAN Mubarack! Slowly and Carefully.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Yes it's not a set time, so you can do the workouts whenever you have time. I was thinking for cardio heavy days working out around 11ish might be best, just to help with being hydrated