HELP!!! why isnt the weight coming off?

Options
hi guys. im 37, 5ft 9 and currently weigh 199lbs. I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week doing interval training,free weights and kettlebells. I also play football. Im the fittest and strongest iv been for years but the weight just isnt coming off.
my calorie target is 1250, is this not enough? my diary is open. i drive a wagon for a living so im sat down for around 10hrs a day when at work.
can anybody help me?????

Replies

• robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To be honest~ you may not be eating enough. It looks like you aren't eating yoru exercise calories back. I started adding a few of those back in on days I exercise and the weight started coming off.

Also- are you drinking plenty of water? I added ice cold water with crystal light in the mornings and that seems to have kicked something in as well.

Just somethings to consider- I'm not an expert by any means...but also check your TDEE - I have heard people talk about that as well - and BMR- (Basic metabolic rate) and see if you are eating enough....

Hope this helps some..
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I cant believe 1200 calories is nearly enough for you. Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group here on MFP and learn about your BMR and TDEE and get your caloric intake settings correct.
  • markdl
    markdl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the others, Eat more :)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Eat more food! :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As a man you should be eating a minimum of 1500 Net (1500 plus eat back the calories that you burn).

I suggest changing your goal from 2 lbs/week to lose 1lb/week, and to eat all burned cals back. A 2lb/week goal is only good if you have 75+ lbs to lose.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    1200 Calorie target is WAY TO LOW. You definitely need to eat more. If you are going to they gym and working weights 3-4X a week, your body is not getting enough energy to sustain those workouts. Severe starvation mode.
    Go back on your profile and change it to lose 1 pound per week. The calorie target it gives you is what you should be trying to eat. On days you work out and burn more calories, eat MORE. You have the right intentions but now you have to fix the execution...
    And drink water...that is extremely important. It keeps you hydrated and helps flush the fat out through detoxification.
    Good luck.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You're male, your target should be a minimum of 1800, and it should probably be way more than that.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the others, 1250 doesn't seem like enough calories. I'm 5' 8" and I'm my goal is keeping my calories below 1710 for the day and I'm usually around 1500. So far it seems to be working, but I know from experience, if I go below a certain point, my performance and my weight loss suffers.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree - may need to add more calories to see results. Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, the EAt More To Weigh Less group is awesome, and also check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I'm 5'8", female & 137lbs and I'm set at 1800 calories a day and I'm losing fat! I would be money that you need to eat more. Your BMR has got to be higher than 1250, and if so, you're not doing yourself any favors by eating below your BMR every day - your body needs fuel!

Check out the group and the link - a lot of good sense info there.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I cant believe 1200 calories is nearly enough for you. Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group here on MFP and learn about your BMR and TDEE and get your caloric intake settings correct.

^^^^^THIS!!! DEFINITELY NEED TO CHECK THEM OUT!! http://www.eatmore2weighless.com
    Click on "Start Here" and read more on why that is not nearly enough calories.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. You eat good amounts of protein, though, so good job on that. I'm a woman--135 lbs--and I eat around 2000+ cals a day. I've lost ALL my weight eating that amount. You don't want your body to slow down and get used to a small amount of calories. Fuel the machine!!
  • bedpan
    bedpan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same.. More eats!

Based on your stats, you BMR is around 3000 calories. To loose 1lbs a week you would be around 2600 calories a day. Your body is most likely into starvation mode and is destroying muscle!

You may want to try a diet reset go back to 3000 calories a day for a few weeks and then reduce down to 2600 or so calories.
    Some articles on the topic
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/460112-the-starvation-mode-myth
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    hi guys. im 37, 5ft 9 and currently weigh 199lbs. I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week doing interval training,free weights and kettlebells. I also play football. Im the fittest and strongest iv been for years but the weight just isnt coming off.
    my calorie target is 1250, is this not enough? my diary is open. i drive a wagon for a living so im sat down for around 10hrs a day when at work.
    can anybody help me?????

1) Get a more reasonable goal. With ~20 lbs to lose, you should aim for ~1/2 pound loss per week.

2) This goes along with 1: Increase your daily calories. 1250 seems very low for someone of your size who exercises regularly (you will notice your performance slipping if you continue eating so little). A good goal generally is to eat around TDEE- 20%. My guess is that you should eat at least 2,000 to lose fat, maintain muscle, and fuel your exercise.

3) Get a food scale to measure your portions. This will help you avoid underestimating your calorie intake. Log everything.

4) I noticed you've missed quite a few days on your diary. Log everyday, even bad days, even weekend days. This helps keep you on track and will help you to see where you went wrong. Yes, maybe you ate near 1200 on your logged days, but what about the missing days? If you're eating & drinking a lot on the weekends, it may undo the work you did during the week. If you want a little more leeway during the week, you can try carb-cycling, but you should still maintain control on the higher-calorie days.

5) Reset your macro (protein/fat/carbs) ratios to something like 40/30/30. More specific recommendations are 1.1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass (total weight minus lbs of fat), 0.3-0.7 g fat per pound of goal weight, and the rest with carbs (at least 100 g to avoid ketosis).

6) Make sure your weight training is sufficiently intense, and do it ~3X week. This will help you avoid muscle loss (along with sufficient protein + a reasonable deficit).

7) Have patience. Weight loss is generally non-linear and comes in "whooshes." Water retention (from exercise, sodium, etc.) can mask weight loss on the scale for a short time. So stick with it.
  • cubby09
    cubby09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone that offered their advice. im now on the case of resolving it.