Potassium

Options
2»

Replies

• beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use salt substitute,,,potassium chloride....otherwise I would never make it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I use salt substitute,,,potassium chloride....otherwise I would never make it.

That's what I was about to say.:wink:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have issues with potassium too.... and I am allergic to bananas, so that doesn't help! I was wondering if I could supplement?

You can take supplements, but they don't absorb well into your body. The best way to get potassium is through foods. Do a search for foods with potassium and you can find tons that have the same if not more than bananas.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I have been a little confused about this too. I am taking potassium pills and the bottle say takes one daily but since I am way under (taking about 700-1000)g a day what would be a healthy amount?
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cantelope and banana almost every day. Skim milk is good too. I think pork is one of the higher meat sources.

I usually have a banana with breakfast and if I have a good workout later, I'll make a protein shake that includes another banana and skim milk. A bowl of cantelope and blueberries is a great low cal after-dinner snack.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I call this "My Big Tuna Salad". Good potassium and relatively low cal. Very filling. (Hopefully the table format holds.)

Cal Potass
    Fish - Tuna, light, canned in water, drained solids, 1 can 191 391
    Giant Market Fresh - Iceberg Salad. Lettuce,, 2 cups 15 0
    Mushrooms - Raw, 3 large 15 217
    Generic - Cherry Tomatoes, 1 cup 65 353
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 1 cup slices 16 153
    Generic - Salsa - Medium, 4 tbsp 20 152
    Total 322 1266

Sorry couldn't get the format to hold. Hopefully you get the picture
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I never manage to reach it, and I sometimes have to take supplements.

Coconut water (unsweetened), bananas, potatoes and tomatoes are my main go-to's to try and reach my goal though
  • rolandgaspar
    Options
    Potassium is the BANE of my daily diary...I do manage to get darn close ( my goal is 3000/day) many days...I eat sweet potatoes a lot ( they have a fair amount of potassium), of course bananas are pretty good. Beets, cantelope, beans and tomatoes are good sources too.

this.