I Need Advice

Options
rhymeswithfox
rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
I'm currently in cosmetolgy school and will be done after completing another 400 hours (to finish school you must complete 1500 hours while keeping above 80% attendance). Hair and beauty isn't my thing, I'm actually an artist, but I figured it was a good idea to try to pick a back up career. Unfortunately as various staff members are being changed and rules are being added and changed (almost every Wednesday now), it is becoming a more and more stressful environment. It is also becoming very over crowded due to sudden increase in class sizes. When I started, a class of 6 was average. Now they are accepting classes of 25 and the building is too small to handle 200+ students as well as the clients who come it. It isn't well ventilated either so it gets so gross! I am feeling very anxious and can't seem to make myself stay a whole day at school so my attendance is quickly declining. I feel like it's best for me to quit and pursue art as I have wanted to do for so long. I honestly wish I had never started hair school in the first place, I can't see myself working in a salon... My dad and boyfriend think I should stick it out but I start panicking when I even think about spending another day there. This story hasn't even factored in the stress of working after spending 6 hours a day at school or my current financial stresses. What would you do?

Replies

• SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having a rough time. It's really hard to say what's right in situations like this. I've done both -- left when I thought it was too much and not worth it, and stayed when I knew I'd be miserable and just needed to push through. I think it comes down to long-term goals. You mentioned it being your "back-up career" but if you don't actually want to work in a salon or spa, how exactly would it earn you money? Would you be happier working retail or an office job instead? (This is assuming the worst-case scenario that you can't make a living off of a more traditional art career.) I think if you can answer those questions you'll have your answer.

All the best! :flowerforyou:
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Well, I can only tell you what I WOULDN'T do and that is go the the internet and ask a bunch of complete strangers for advice. :bigsmile:

But, since you asked.....It does seem strange that you are so close to completing what you have invested so much time & money into and you want to walk away. But ultimately, you need to find something that will make YOU happy. :wink:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    You gotta listen to YOU... not your dad, brother, boyfriend, neighbor, mom... it's what YOU want that matters. (sounds like you know what you want) :flowerforyou:
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Can you take a leave of absence from the program? Can you transfer to a different school to finish?
  • rhymeswithfox
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I know it's weird that someone would ask strangers for advice but sometimes strangers will say it like it is while people that know you will sugar coat things or be afraid to say what they really think.
  • rhymeswithfox
    Options
    @dward2011 I can't take any leaves and I could transfer to another school but it would only increase the cost of money that I owe. Luckily half of this school is paid off so I don't owe a lot of money.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Pick a job that you love to do and you will never work a day in your life. Do what makes you happy. Good luck!
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    @dward2011 I can't take any leaves and I could transfer to another school but it would only increase the cost of money that I owe. Luckily half of this school is paid off so I don't owe a lot of money.

Is it better to increase the cost of your schooling or totally waste what you have already spent or will be paying back?

Beauty school drop out here. Situations that I let control me when I could have controlled them. Regret for sure. But, that is just me.