Foods You'll Think Twice About Now

Options
One of the interesting things about logging is being really shocked about how many calories are in some foods. What are the foods you now think twice about eating? My big two are:

1 - butter. 50 cals in just HALF a tablespoon!
2 - potato chips. just doesnt seem to be worth it for me since they are not filling in the least! i don't mind something that has a lot of calories if its satisfying, but chips feel like air.

Replies

• Cmbisbee
    Cmbisbee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Olives! 4 black olives = 25 calories (no biggie), 2.5 grams of fat (just for olives!). That sucks. I put olives in a lot of recipes. I knew they were high in sodium, but I didn't realize they had fat.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Olives! 4 black olives = 25 calories (no biggie), 2.5 grams of fat (just for olives!). That sucks. I put olives in a lot of recipes. I knew they were high in sodium, but I didn't realize they had fat.

Yes, but they have good fat in them. Olives are very good for you.

Edit: I LOVE olives. I eat them wayyyy too much just straight out of the jar haha
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think twice about what I order in resturants now due to the high sodium, sure I still eat out but if you compare you can see a huge difference in a chicken sandwich from one resturant to another
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options

just so you know, though, the fat is olives is considered to be "healthy fat", and provides your body essential nutrients
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hee hee- funny, where do you think Olive OIL comes from....sorry just found that amusing!!!
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    wow i didnt know that about olives. now i will think twice about it.

I think twice about pasta and how much is in my serving instead of piling it onto my plate. I also now substitute it with spaghetti squash and other types of squash and veggies.

I also think twice about baked potatoes.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Avocados! High fat content, even though it's the "good" kind of fat. They are delicious, so I do still eat them from time to time.
  • Kldouville
    Kldouville Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts Cereal has a lot of calories!!
  • tanayar
    tanayar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness! Pinto beans!! 245 calories for 1 cup! I'm mexican I used to eat beans with atleast 1-2 meals a day! and trust 1 cup is not much when you take into account how you are eating them lol oh how I miss them lol
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Hee hee- funny, where do you think Olive OIL comes from....sorry just found that amusing!!!

Play nice, LOL! It's called olive OIL, not olive FAT! :wink: (sarcasm font)
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Butter and olives are both high fat foods that yes you would want to limit (especially the sodium in olives if you have blood pressure issues) but the fact is that the fats in both are GOOD fats. I would eat unsalted butter over margarine any day in limited amounts. I wouldn't go so far as to avoid either of those.
  • imlik
    imlik Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bananas, sadly. Yeah, they've got a lot of potassium, but they've also got lots of carbs and sugar. If I eat one, I eat only half of one. I can get potassium from other sources, anyway: spinach, tomatoes, milk, cheese, other fruits & veggies with less sugar. Bananas make the roof of my mouth itch, anyway, lol.
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yes, but they have good fat in them. Olives are very good for you.

Very true! I dislike olives, but check this out:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=46

Like avocados, very high in fate relative to size, but fat doesn't make you fat!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Shrimp- Cholesterol levels are way high. Eat that and an egg and you're screwed.

Ground beef- I have to eat pretty much no fat the rest of the day to keep my macro percentages right if I'm going to have something with ground beef.

All drinks besides water, low sodium V8 and skim milk- do I really want to waste my calories on liquids. Orange juice especially. I can't keep that crap in the house because I'd be tempted to drink it all the time and 120 cal and a whole lot of sugar are not what I need.

I pretty much think about and evaluate all food, what nutrients they're giving me and how they fit into my macro percentages before they're consumed. It makes cheat days especially wonderful because even when I don't allow myself to go over on my calories, I'll pay no mind to my macros.
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    crisps i dont eat anymore - not worth the calories. the odd piece of choc however, i cant resist.
    fizzy drink (not diet. full fat) fanta etc
    wine and beer - i now drink spirits not that im an alcoholic lol
    nuts - good fats but high in cals!
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    alcohol . . . esp. the hard liquor and those fancy mixed drinks . . . . There's so many calories in alcohol that you either have to exercise like crazy to have more than 1 drink or drink your calories instead of a meal. Just not worth it most of the time.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    none.

I don't think twice about any of them. I eat it all. That's what running is for.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    :huh: some REALLY good food choices being nixed for the sake of calories in this thread...

olives, pinto beans, and bananas should be anything but avoided IMO (unless allergy or other medical reason).

(in fact I may pop open a can of no sodium added pinto beans in honor of that one).
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've learned to avoid eating out. even cutting portions in half the calorie count on most dine out meals whether fast food or table service is just too high.
  • jckyg
    jckyg Posts: 1
    Options
    bread. anything with bread. just too good. especially when they have rolls at restaurants..mmmm.