lost inches, 0 lbs?

Options
I have lost like 4 inches all around, but gained one pound! Ive been doing amazing for like 2 weeks now, and have gained a pound! Whats up with that?

Replies

• cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    Maybe your building muscle, which takes up less room ......but weighs more?
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Your body can fluctuate weight (numbers) by almost 10 lbs a day. Weigh yourself in the morning after using the bathroom. Did you eat salty foods yesterday? That can make you retain water and make the numbers go up!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing my weight, the first month I lost nothing but lost 12 inches. I wouldn't worry, the pounds will come off.
  • NCHICK80
    Options
    it can be frustrating, but think of it as your body is getting rid of something.. :happy:
  • janicem
    Options
    I am with you! I lost 5.5 inches this week and was only down 1lb. I am just excited that something is decreasing and inches mean more to me becuase i am sure i building muscle. So keep your mind on the positive!!:smile:

Janice
  • pammer22
    Options
    same for me this morning...lost several inches, gained 2 lbs...uugh! Trying to keep the positive thoughts flowing....I am going with the fact that my clothes are looser than 1 week ago. :wink:
  • paula45870
    Options
    Wow, good job! You must be doing weight resistance. Awesome!

But you are focusing on the wrong thing! You are getting tighter, leaner, more compact from muscle, which fires up your metabolism to burn fat. Muscle weighs more. If you were not losing fat at the same time you were building muscle, the scale would be going way up! Don't look at the scale, look at your clothes. Are they falling off you? Isn't that what you want? I am down to a size 4 from a 10 and the scale didn't more more than about 12 pounds total! In fact, between sizes 6 and 4, it moved one pound! But boy am I getting the compliments, I feel strong and tight, and I am lean and getting ripped.

Keep up the good work!
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is great!
    I watch my body fat percentage instead of pounds (although I weigh myself every morning). In the last month I have not dropped a pound, but my last Bod Pod showed I had gained three pounds of muscle. And my clothes are fitting much better. I don't trust scales or calipers for body fat measurement. I had a trainer for a month. She used the calipers and told me my body fat was 27%. I had my bod Pod the next day, and it was 39%. But anything you use that is consistent will help. My scale gives a body fat reading too. Not as accurate, but can't afford to spend $30 every week for the Bod Pod.
    Keep watching how your clothes are fitting. They are telling you something.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    I feel and hear ya's!!!!! I finally got sick and tired of the scale NEVER moving and measured myself, Thighs, hips, belly, arn... in a three week time I lost 3.25 inches!!!! Woo Hoooo!!! I was so excited, now I weighed myself today and was up again. I can't seem to get below 220:(:(

With that said I now do fit into more of my skinner clothes and the pants I'm wearing today keep slidding down. I def feel better in my over all look and my body is looking great. When will the weight reflect my hard work. I'm desperate to go shopping and by a smaller size, but it hasn't happend yet.....

I'm just focusing on the feeling weightless and good about myself regardless of what the STUPID SCALE says...
    Best of luck to you!!!

Merry Chrismas and God Bless
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS. I have lost pounds, but no inches, which I think I would rather as I think I wouldn't have had to buy pants a size BIGGER this winter instead of being able to fit into the ones I squeezed into from last year. The scale definitely isn't anything. Feeling good in your clothes is everything!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'd much rather lose inches than pounds because at least you can SEE inches. Weigh is just a number.

My sister just went through a 6-week bootcamp, where she had her butt kicked for an hour twice a week. Didn't lose a SINGLE pound- but lost quite a few inches. It definitely happens!
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Our bodies can gain and lose water weight like nothing else. Usually, I fluctuate anywhere from 1-5 pounds depending on the time of month and what I eat.

If you're losing inches-- that's great! :) Don't focus too much on the scale, if it's just a pound here and there-- that will drive you crazy. It's a good tool to keep you in check, but it can drive you nuts all the same.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do not own a scale and do not plan on buying one until March which will be a year since i started. I just take measurements every two weeks. At the bldg i work in has a scale and i messed up and weighed myself in the afternoon (i know that was wrong) so i can only go by the fact that it said 169 so i took off 5 bc i had already had like 27 oz of water plus breakfast. Anyway im 5"2, 165(?) and wear size 10. I dont understand it but thats what i am. So if i were you i would welcome the inches lost like everyone says. Im getting where i prefer losing inches over pounds as i am still able to reach my goals.

So pat yourself on the back and dont worry about what the scale is saying!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!