HRM (Heart Rate Monitor)

Options
I am having an issue with using the MFP exercise gauge when it comes to burning calories. How do you know you are burning the calories the exercise says it burns? Should I invest in a HRM? Which HRM's are best for your $? If you burn more or less than the exercise says you do - how do you record it on MFP?

Replies

• GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a hrm for that reason. I have a Pyle with a chest strap from Amazon for under $40; works great. First day I used it; I was shocked by how off the MFP estimates were; which is why I never ate my exercise calories back until I got the hrm.

Highly, highly recommend getting one to anyone.

Edit: To record the calories burned, I just use aerobics, general and adjust the minutes until the calories are the same. I don't care about the time it says, just the amount of calories. :)
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM and it's awesome - it helps to motivate me to do my exercise and to try to maintain or increase my usual pace. As for recording it, I don't usually use the diary but I'm starting to, so I made a custom exercise of 1 calorie per minute. Then I just record the number of calories as minutes and that gives me the number I'm looking for. I do lots of different activities, so I'm not going to create custom exercises for everything. I only really care about the calorie number. I do save my exercise information on polarpersonaltrainer.com so I can track it that way if I want to know what I've done.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    I don't know if this would help but...I use an app on my iphone (Run meter and Heart Rate app) and I track my heart rate every 10mins and then average it out at the end of my workout... Then I use 3 different websites to tell me how many calories I burned using my body stats (age, height, weight), avg heart rate (Taken from the app *Heart Rate*, duration of the workout and I see if they all fall within the same "Burned Calories" range. An HRM works the same way I believe but they are sooo expensive. If you dont mind taking the extra time to do this then you will save yourself some money.

PS: The way the heart rate app works is ( I use an iphone 4) you place the camera at the tip of your finger and it tracks each pulse and then tell you your heart's BMP. I find it very accurate because when your heart pumps - at the tip of your finger blood rushes through causing it to change color (from light red to a darker red).
  • sisterofseven
    sisterofseven Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM (Polar FT7) and found the calories I actually burn are completely different to the MFP figures (a LOT less). I guess the calories burnt only really matters if you are eating back ALL of your exercise calories. Also, as you become fitter, you burn less so this will accounted for with the HRM.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Polar is the best way to go. I have the Polar FT4 which is like $65.00 on Amazon. It's super awesome.
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    Do you know why you burn less calories as you become more fit? It seems the opposite would be true! Thank you for all the tips. I did not know there was an iPhone app. I do a lot of aerobics so it might be difficult to use. However, it does sound neat. From what I've read on the Internet the Polar HRM seems to be popular. It can be pricey - but there is a range from $60 to $200. Decisions, decisions. I do want to find out how many calories I am actually burning.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm also using the Polar FT4 that shows me the number of calories burned during my workouts and the numbers are quite a bit higher than the activity database here on MFP.

I haven't decided what to do about the difference in terms of eating my calories back. Right now I am choosing the lower number of calories burned and eating those and will monitor my weight for a few weeks. I'll then try the higher number for a few weeks and compare and see what works best for me.

@homemomfreda - - - the number of calories burned becomes less because 1. You probably weigh less after working out for a while, so you're exercising while carrying less weight, and 2. You're body will become more efficient and use less energy to do the workout, which is why many people think that it's important to vary the intensity and/or type of exercise that you do.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a new balance hrm with a chest strap..i love it..its accurate and does the job...it was 60 bucks at target
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    I haven't bought one yet, just doing a little research. I'm leaning twards the Polar brand, either the FT4 or FT7. Just finished printing off the manuals from their website to compare the two.

Editted: Did a search on MFP and found the difference :}
  • ENCORRALES21
    ENCORRALES21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought one earlier this year, by bowflex. I loved it the price what great but then it started acting up, me thinkinig that it was the batt. on the chest strap I traded it out, but still nothing. I love the accuracy it provided, but i feel that for the money I paid for mine and the issues I am having with, it's now are just not worth the hassel
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am using an ancient polar HRM. but it works :-)
    to input the exercise, just pick it from the list, put in the minutes, and then change the calorie value before you submit. With me, it usually keeps that info for the next run, and it's not too far off next time i put it in...
  • Valdeezie
    Valdeezie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You really want o get a HRM. I love mine which is PolarF4. MFP tracks calories at a much higher rate. That bad boy goes everywhere withe me. I'm surprised sometimes to see that running for 45 minutes I almost burn 1000 calories and then stretching and squatting for 30 minutes I tend to burn around 240. Accurate tracking of my calories going in and out really keep me from stressing over the same thing you are.
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    I am leaning towards the Polar FT40F. What is the difference between the women's & men's - the size of the watch?
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    HRM are a nice thing to have and I use mine religously to track my progress, but do not put too much emphasis on the calories burned function. Polar are said to be the most accurate but the reading is still just a "ball park" figure. Don't rely too heavily on it. Even when used in the most optimal conditions ( consistent cardio activity maintaining a heart rate above 90 bpm ) they are still only about 75% accurate according to lab studies.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The way the heart rate app works is ( I use an iphone 4) you place the camera at the tip of your finger and it tracks each pulse and then tell you your heart's BMP. I find it very accurate because when your heart pumps - at the tip of your finger blood rushes through causing it to change color (from light red to a darker red).
    I have this app on my droid. Out of curiosity I checked it while using a blood pressure cuff. Both devices reported the same heart rate - I would say it's accurate. Cool little app.

If you're the type of person that carries a phone all the time you might consider a blue tooth heart rate monitor. They connect with your phone (via blue tooth) and track the heart rate and other data using apps like Endomondo Sports tracker or Sports Tracker Pro. The chests straps are available from Polar, Zephyr or Wahoo Fitness (about $70 - $80).

I'm considering buying one of these as a reward for reaching my goal.
    Do you know why you burn less calories as you become more fit?
    From fitness alone:
    Muscles become more efficient with specific movements (running) and they expend less energy to execute a task.

From weight loss alone:
    Consider 2 people running a lap around a track at the same speed. One of them weighs 200 lbs. and the other weighs 150 lbs. The heavier person will require more energy to propel the extra weight around the track.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM (Polar FT7) and found the calories I actually burn are completely different to the MFP figures (a LOT less). I guess the calories burnt only really matters if you are eating back ALL of your exercise calories. Also, as you become fitter, you burn less so this will accounted for with the HRM.

Everything she said down to the same Polar HRM.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I would get an HRM or something similar. I always thought MFP estimates were pretty close. I thought with me being heavier, that's why it always said I was burning high amounts of calories. Well I got an HRM and MFP can be as much as 300 calories off!! Not cool. I wasn't eating all of my exercise calories back either, thankfully.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    You can regulate or create your "own" exercise in the diary. I do that because when I walk 2 miles I may burn more or less then the next person does. If I am right about this, those calc are put in the database just like the foods, by other members. So I figure my own calc. by using the web to search out info but also, I do have an HRM. This seemed important to me and I was fortunate in being able to afford one. I don't believe one is needed to succeed here though. I succeeded in losing 10 lbs in 5 months but I admit I was not good about not going over and I ate many of the wrong food. But if I'd followed MFP I would be in shape today. This is my second time around.

denise
    PS I don't know what my review would be yet on my Polar Ft4 hrm but it seems to be working fine.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    MFP can only figure ballpark for people and I thank them immensely for giving us some idea to start with. It's up to us to figure out our own needs. I support them 100% because otherwise, people would get on here and have no clue where to start.

I am glad you found your own pace but I am a bit on the defensive team since MFP gives us all so much and for free!! That is also why, they give us the opportunity to set our own goals(customize). They are awesome!
    I would get an HRM or something similar. I always thought MFP estimates were pretty close. I thought with me being heavier, that's why it always said I was burning high amounts of calories. Well I got an HRM and MFP can be as much as 300 calories off!! Not cool. I wasn't eating all of my exercise calories back either, thankfully.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I don't find this hard to believe, a few of you running MFP down for not having our individual numbers for us. No one in this world can figure that out except each of us. MFP gives us all the tools we need to do that. And for free! Their calc are awesome for a basic starting point. They give the customization option to those that want to be more specific about their individual needs they will discover along the way like I did.

Like me, chances are you wouldn't have found "your pace" without first coming to MFP and discovering you either needed to up your calories or lower them. MFP also has way more to offer like the nutrient calculator. And for free.

I am grateful, denise