Zucchini Help

Options
I just tried zucchini again and I like but I need help with how to cook it please.I don't want to fry it.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook it is on the grill. I have a wok type grill bowl that goes right on the grill grates, so I con't have to worry about slices of zucchini or other veggies falling through.

Sliced zucchini
    Half a sweet onion, roughly chopped
    Sliced mushrooms
    Cherry tomatoes
    Red/orange/yellow bell peppers
    Any combo of these items works, and is optional - I just throw whatever I've got in there with the zucchini!

Toss with a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar, and season with any fresh or dried herbs of your choice (I love Herbs de Provence). Use a slotted spoon to scoop the veggies into the grill bowl so you don't get too much oil in the grill and cause flare ups. Cook with the lid closed, stirring occasionally.

You could probably also do this in the oven in a shallow pan or on a cookie sheet.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    You could batter it with egg and panko crumbs and bake it....
    Make into a casserole.....slice it...layer in a dish with cheese, egg, parmesan....a little butter (put it in recipe builder for calories)
    Make zucchini boats.....slice in half, scoop out innards....mix innards with hamburger or ground cooked turkey and veggies and bake.....possibilities are endless....
  • xLellyx
    xLellyx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey!

You could try shredding it really-really finely and having it raw as a spaghetti. Drizzle over some lemon juice, chopped red chillis and a bit of salt and pepper. If you don't want it raw, you could just toss it in a pan for 2 minutes to warm it through.

Or you could shred it really thinly and add it into some home made falafell mix for a bit more bite/ healthy bulk to your falafell.

If you want to be really naughty you could always make a cake out of it ;)

Hope that helps!
  • Rhondavous64
    Options
    That sounds great, Thanks for sharing!
    My favorite way to cook it is on the grill. I have a wok type grill bowl that goes right on the grill grates, so I con't have to worry about slices of zucchini or other veggies falling through.

Sliced zucchini
    Half a sweet onion, roughly chopped
    Sliced mushrooms
    Cherry tomatoes
    Red/orange/yellow bell peppers
    Any combo of these items works, and is optional - I just throw whatever I've got in there with the zucchini!

Toss with a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar, and season with any fresh or dried herbs of your choice (I love Herbs de Provence). Use a slotted spoon to scoop the veggies into the grill bowl so you don't get too much oil in the grill and cause flare ups. Cook with the lid closed, stirring occasionally.

You could probably also do this in the oven in a shallow pan or on a cookie sheet.
  • xLellyx
    Options
    Oh- and sliced really thinly and placed on a griddle pan it's gorgeous. Just make sure you rub the veg not the pan with oil as the oil will get stuck into the groves otherwise .x.
  • xLellyx
    Options
    One more!

Sometimes I slice it really thinly and pop it into a dish with some apple cider vinegar and fennel seeds. I then leave it to marrinate whilst at work and use it as a pizza topping on a home made base .x. Going now, promise!!
  • tristanathan
    Options
    I've used it in lasagna as the "noodles" It was delicious.
  • iamtruetome
    Options
    i slice zucchini, yellow squash, and red onions and then toss them in 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 TBSP balsamic vinaigrette. Then I spread them on a cookie sheet and bake in a 425 degree oven between 35-45 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it. very tasty!
  • sissypunks
    sissypunks Posts: 92
    Options
    u can make bread casserole cake crab cake all kinds of things with it we eat alot most summers!
  • lmwch
    lmwch Posts: 4
    Options
    zucchini bread. you can substitiute apple sauce for the oil and also can substitute egg beaters for the regular eggs or just use egg whites. it cuts the calories and fat way down.
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Grated and added to the ingredients for onion soup is good, also this vegetable works really well with turmeric so add a little whenever/however you're cooking it. Pick them small and eat them young, like this they are good in a salad, much as you'd use cucumber. Jamie Oliver has a lovely pasta dish with zucchini - kind of a carbonara, it might be on his website...
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Tossed with a bit of italian dressing and grilled, or sliced in half, scoop the seeds out and fill with a meatloaf-type mixture... bake till the meat's done.
  • lmwch
    lmwch Posts: 4
    Options
    instead of the olive oil you can spray them with cooking spray and use spritzer balsamic dressing. that cuts down alot of the calories and fat.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Zucchini and squash noodles w/ shredded carrots and shrimp. Seasoned however you like.
  • attempttwo
    attempttwo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Slice, shake onion powder on, put in a 375 oven, cook until desired. We like our a bit transparent looking.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    And remember it freezes really well, so shred some for later and make zucchini bread for the holidays as gifts. It's what i do with my extras.
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    Slice it thick, grill it and then drizzle with basalmic vinegar
    Cut it into sticks and serve raw with hummus
    Serve it raw in salad
    Slice thinly or dice and put on a homemade pizza (I use whole wheat wraps or wheat sandwich things to make a pizza crust)
    Scramble it in eggs at breakfast
    Add to stir fry
    Saute with your favorite seasoning blend

it has a very neutral flavor and can be added to almost anything and it will take on the flavor of what you are cooking.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i like to make mine into kabobs and grill them. if you eat a bite of it with a bite of chicken, you'll hardly notice the veggies.