Plateau :,(

Options

Replies

• konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    you can eat your way out of your excercise any given time to negate whatever you did at the gym.

like the other poster above said- food is 80 percent of your result,excercise is only 20 percent.get more protein in and cut out processed foods as much as you can.If you dont have time for picking lunch-take a sandwich,chicken breast and some veggies,if you cant get to lunch until 4,have healthy snacks like greek yogurt cups,apple with almond butter etc.Junk food has to go lady.
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1) Whole wheat bread with "The Laughing Cow cream cheese" <delish / egg white with tomato & peper/seasoning.

2) oatmeal with almond milk un-sweeten, sometimes add raisins.

Don't eat anything that someone else prepares. I was never a cook but I cook ALL my food now ...I still don't like being in the kitchen too much. BUT really its not hard. I keep to the simple stuff.. Grill chicken & fish. sweet potatoes < I have a sweet tooth, that helps.
  • celtic_ink
    celtic_ink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not an expert by any means, but I would recommend eating a relatively even number of calories several times a day (5-6 small meals) and eat as little of the processed stuff as possible.I do realise that this is far easier said than done and, no, I haven't quite mastered this myself, but I've certainly noticed a difference since I worked on making these changes.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Just some light workout will do ...Focus on cleaning up your diet!

When I do RPM I burn about 500ish. So workout less? Do you eat your exercise cals?

Will defo take your advice about making better food choices rather then easier options. Thanks for taking the time to post :smile:
  • LovelyNFit
    Options
    Something I've found that's helped my plateau was eating more. I'm at 1600 cals on days I don't workout and can get up to 1800 NET on the days that I do. According to your diary you net anywhere between 900-1300. Try increasing calories (was scary to me at first) for a month and see how your body responds.

This is my current problem - I am scared to....i guess b/c we lost weight at a lower calorie so we don't want to change.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I have Carnation Breakfast essentials for breakfast. If I'm exercising that day and I get hungry later (or I'll have them at the same time depending) I also have 2 eggs and Sara lee 90 calorie English muffin. I put one egg on each bun. I like it because they keep me full and I don't usually eat till 2 or 3 in the afternoon doing it that way, and sometimes later if I don't catch myself. IF you can heat up things at work, try making a batch of chili, My fiance makes some delicious chili that's usually about 160 calories a cup, and it keeps me full with JUST one cup!
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    Something I've found that's helped my plateau was eating more. I'm at 1600 cals on days I don't workout and can get up to 1800 NET on the days that I do. According to your diary you net anywhere between 900-1300. Try increasing calories (was scary to me at first) for a month and see how your body responds.

This is my current problem - I am scared to....i guess b/c we lost weight at a lower calorie so we don't want to change.

^ This is true. :\ Even on days when I'm exercising I'm loath to eat more. But I end up having to because I end up being more hungry.
  • LovelyNFit
    Options
    Just some light workout will do ...Focus on cleaning up your diet!

When I do RPM I burn about 500ish. So workout less? Do you eat your exercise cals?

Will defo take your advice about making better food choices rather then easier options. Thanks for taking the time to post :smile:

That seems good if you feel ok with it. BUT your focus of IMPROVEMENT is FOOD. try preparing your food on Sunday (veggies, sweet potatoes etc) and store in fridge. I marinate my fish & chicken in bags and put half in frizzer the other in fridge & I grill as needed. takes few minutes. then add the other stuff you have prepped & stored

I pack my oatmeal to go.

If I am going out shopping or anywhere where I will be away from my home for 2hrs I PACK my food - its a habit now, I don't like other ppl making my food. MAKE IT A HABIT. :) You will like it after.....KEY: pick clean foods that you like ---TEST & TRY different clean food. ITs not easy but WORTH IT.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF U ARE WORTH IT..... Do beat yourself up everyday over weight .. getting up at 5 am isnt for nothing even tho u cant see it its working ;)) put that scale away and always remeber this is your life yoyr body your health ... YOU ARE WORTH IT ;))))))))))))

^^^THIS^^^ Very smart woman here!
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. I'd say for about 3 months of eating my "usual" 1200-1400 calories and yo-yoing the same 1-3 lbs up and down I had to figure out something. Talked to a few of my MFP buddies and did some research and finally decided to try it. After the first week of feeling like I was stuffing my face LOL I actually lost 1lb and was down 2 inches in my waist which was a major shock to me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on a calorie restricted diet? (Sorry if I missed it mentioned somewhere)
  • Cal28
    Options
    Well done on your loss brettkeogh!! Superb :-)

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I'll start on healthier choices (have to face up to my bad love of sugar) and then I might look at upping calories (also terrified of this!)

Really appreciate all your input and will defo try some of the food suggestions (maybe not the eggs though, had a really bad allergy of them when younger and still not a fan!)

I know I can do this, WE can do this, just sometimes need a kick/support xx
  • LovelyNFit
    Options
    I am not good with eating my calories (NET) so I cant help there....need to figure that out myself. BUT never starve! If you are hungry EAT even if you will go over JUST make it clean food
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Please read the article I posted Cal28. It REALLY will explain what's happening to your body and how to get through it. :flowerforyou:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • Cal28
    Options
    How long have you been on a calorie restricted diet? (Sorry if I missed it mentioned somewhere)

I started in Feb this year. I was aiming for 1-2lb a week so was hoping to be at least 27lb down (ideally 42lb down)
    If you are hungry EAT even if you will go over JUST make it clean food

I'm rarely that hungry. My big weakness is the emotional eating when having a bad day. I gained a good 14lb when we moved to Australia and I was lonely and trying hard to try and tell myself that the eating didn't make me any happier! x
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing this over and over and over..and I am hoping I will finally listen! This article is me..about the not enough calories! Why is it so hard to grasp we need to eat to lose? At a 3 month weight loss standstill! Thanks for this article!!!
  • Cal28
    Options
    Please read the article I posted Cal28. It REALLY will explain what's happening to your body and how to get through it. :flowerforyou:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Thanks :happy: Hacve had a read and have bookmarked it for reference when I get back from hol. Makes sense xx
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A co-worker of mine is a former body builder and still works out daily. I knew I would reach a plateau at some point and so asked her what to do to get past it when it hit. She gave me two bits of advice which I will pass on to you. Two or three times a week, go slightly over your calorie limit. If your brain is in starvation mode, it will shut down your metabolism. Eating a little more a couple times a week turns off that starvation mode and fools the brain into thinking you are eating "normally" again. You will start losing again when you go back to keeping within your calorie count. She also told me to jump start my heart while exercising. If you normally walk, for example, for about 5 to 10 minutes, either jog or walk double time. Then settle down again. Increasing your heart rate, even for that small amount of time will help with your metabolism.
    I looked up my friend's advice concerning going over my calorie count on line and found another website that agreed with her so, when I felt I was approaching a plateau, I tried it. Lo and behold, that week, I lost 2 LBS!

I'm going to try this!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    How's your fiber consumption?
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hey Cal
    I understand your problem. I didn't want a stall either. Month 1 I decreased my calories to 1300. Month 2 traded all the 100 cal snacks and "junk food" for fruits and veggies/ leaner cuts of meat, and no "fatty meats". Cut out white bread and rice and changed to whole grains. I also started eating 5-6 meals about 300 calories each. Month 3 Started exercising at gym and started back playing tennis. I uped my calories to my BMR -600 calories. Month 4 I cut out Coke Zero totally. I also started eating dinner by 6. I don't eat any more after that. I've lost 42 lbs and have like 30 more to go. I thought that changing it up a little each month wouldn't be hard for me and would help my weight loss and it has. My diary is open and I'd love to be your friend if you'd like. Good luck!
    Beth