How do you find the energy??

Options
If you are working alot how do you find the energy to do that and do your daily workouts?? Just curious..

Replies

• lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself that I have to dress out and do at least 5 minutes of my workout. 9 times out of 10, I get motivated that way and stick with it! If I'm not feeling well (sick, sore, super tired) then I take a day off and try the next day.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have to do it in the morning, I wake up early just to work out. If I don't and try to put if off till after work etc, it never ever happens I get to busy and then before I know it it's 11 and I am just to tired.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I fuel them, simple as that.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an interview with (of all people) Richard Simmons in (of all publications) Men's Health. It was interesting for a lot of reasons, but one thing in particular caught my eye. Every morning when he gets up, the first thing he does is his own workout. Why? Because if he can't maintain his own health, how can he be useful to anyone else? If you have to ask how you can be healthy while you have so much work to do, the real question should probably be how can I keep working like this if I'm not healthy.
  • findusfaithful18
    findusfaithful18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to workout before I go to work. My job requires me to be on my feet the entire shift, so by the time I'm done with work I'm exhausted and don't have any energy left to workout. If it doesn't happen before work, it usually doesn't happen.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself that I have to dress out and do at least 5 minutes of my workout. 9 times out of 10, I get motivated that way and stick with it! If I'm not feeling well (sick, sore, super tired) then I take a day off and try the next day.
    ^^^Great advice; many times lack of energy is not so much a function of lack of sleep and rest but of lack of exercise. When we create a routine of exercise, it releases endorphins that allow us to push through... Many times what re perceive as being tired is actually the effects of stress... exercise is a great stress reliever...
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The way I look at my day is "how can I get some activity/exercise in" so that I can eat! I have an 8-hour a day desk job, so I try and do workouts at lunch time most days and go to the gym twice a week. If I can't get a true "workout" in, I walk the dogs a bit more, mow the lawn, etc. to get some sort of burn for the day. I have found that I actually have way more energy than I used to!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Best thing for me is to exercise *before* work. Too often I'm too tired after work and then it doesn't happen. Actually I find that I feel better after a good workout anyway, and have a better attitude throughout the day.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I look at myself naked in the mirror. It motivates me plenty :laugh:
  • miracleharper
    Options
    when ever I find i have slacked on workouts or i am having to force myself to work out. I just put on a pair of jeans i am saving for when i get to my goal weight. when i see how much more i have to lose it makes me run to pop in the zumba lol
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    One of the things that I've done in the past was try to work at exercising with something that I hated. That doesn't work. If I'm doing something that I'm not fond of doing, I'm not going to keep it up. By doing something that I actually enjoy and that's let's me concentrate on basic things like breathing and moving in a way that doesn't hurt and keeps me from being totally uncomfortable while I'm doing it, I'm winning.
    I'm exhausted after and I hurt anyway but I'm determined to continue till I get where I want to be.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an interview with (of all people) Richard Simmons in (of all publications) Men's Health. It was interesting for a lot of reasons, but one thing in particular caught my eye. Every morning when he gets up, the first thing he does is his own workout. Why? Because if he can't maintain his own health, how can he be useful to anyone else? If you have to ask how you can be healthy while you have so much work to do, the real question should probably be how can I keep working like this if I'm not healthy.

Totally THIS!
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ^^^Great advice; many times lack of energy is not so much a function of lack of sleep and rest but of lack of exercise. When we create a routine of exercise, it releases endorphins that allow us to push through... Many times what re perceive as being tired is actually the effects of stress... exercise is a great stress reliever...

And this. There have been a few times in the last 11 months that I've gotten up, (I work out at 5:30am during the school year, at 6:30/7:00am in the summer) and not 'had the energy' but figured, well, just go in and do a few minutes.... once I get started, I feel better, and figure, okay, just a few more minutes. Next thing I know, it's an hour later and a fabulous workout.

I guess Nike's slogan was true: just do it!.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You need to find the time of day that works best for you. Seems like most people exercise in the morning. Mornings don't work for me. Once I realized that and switched to early evenings I found it was easy to stick with it.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I usually just suck it up because once you're actually doing the workout, you're okay, it's just the getting up and starting it that's tough. I remind myself of how awesome I'm going to feel afterwards and that it'll be over soon!

And also try to find a time to workout that works for you and stick to that time. I always exercise at 6:00 because my day's work is usually completed and I have energy then.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I have to agree. When I was training for a fitness competition, I was getting up early to do morning cardio before a 12 hour day shift I still had to do more after work and found the same.
    During training, for me, most workouts weren't optional. Yes, I had some flexibility to skip a workout, but the vast majority of times I pushed past excuses and just showed up, I not only finished them but felt good.
    I have also done this with running training as well.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wear my FT7 heart rate monitor watch all the time, so it's a constant reminder I should throw on the chest strap and get sweaty.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    food! naps and food, mostly! i work 6 days a week at a hard job and i still manage to workout 5 days a week!
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options

This is a good point here thanks!
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I look at myself naked in the mirror. It motivates me plenty :laugh:

LOL!