Removing Weight Mid-Routine Part 2

Options
DarthH8
DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
Okay, so I'm posting this again. But reworded so that people don't just attack my routine instead of discussing the issue.

Is it okay to remove weight to finish a routine. Will my body build less mass with the same resources because I ended with a lower weight than I started?

This is all pure speculation. Based on an idea that came to my mind while working out. Does anyone know the dynamics of how muscle breaks down and repairs? Say given the same amount of resources to repair and build. Will the body increase more mass if the intensity of the resistance was higher during the entire period of stress than it would if it were lowered at the end?

The basic idea here is. Will you build more mass if you stop on high weight, or lower the weight to finish the workout.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm posting this again. But reworded so that people don't just attack my routine instead of discussing the issue.

Is it okay to remove weight to finish a routine. Will my body build less mass with the same resources because I ended with a lower weight than I started?

This is all pure speculation. Based on an idea that came to my mind while working out. Does anyone know the dynamics of how muscle breaks down and repairs? Say given the same amount of resources to repair and build. Will the body increase more mass if the intensity of the resistance was higher during the entire period of stress than it would if it were lowered at the end?

The basic idea here is. Will you build more mass if you stop on high weight, or lower the weight to finish the workout.

I think I understand your question but dont know if I can answer it without the specific routine you are talking about. If you are talking about building mass a rep range of 8-12 is considered the ideal range. If your last set only gets to 6 and you want to lower the weight to get the last 2-6 reps in go ahead. Will it make a huge difference over the long run? I dont know. When working with a partner this is very common to get one or two "forced reps" with your buddy helping out slightly to finish the set. If you were working out alone and could quickly lower the weight, I think it would have the same effect.

Interesting study on how training until fatigue is not necessary in strength training.
    http://bjsportmed.com/content/36/5/370.abstract

• icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    it is perfectly ok to lower your weights as you progress through a given routine. i do it all the time. for example when i do leg extensions (single leg) i will start with 100lbs and do 3 sets of 6 drop to 80lbs 3 sets of 10, and finish with 60lbs 3 sets of 15. if you start with high weight and low reps and finish lite/medium weight at high reps you will get a much better pump. you can use this idea for pretty much all routines.

check out this article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson161.htm
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I think you're over-analyzing it a bit. If you're lifting weights that are heavy for you and you're going to close to failure, you're doing it right. You will get stronger and your muscles will grow if you have the calories to support them. Missing a few reps or having to lower the weight for a few reps I think is going to be inconsequential in the long run. No one hits every rep of every set, every workout and every day. If they do, they aren't using enough weight! Sometimes it's just a matter of having an off day. Maybe you didn't sleep enough or eat enough and you just can't get those last few reps. It's not a big deal.

Let me put it this way. I'd rather do a heavier weight and fail or break form on the last rep or two than easily do all of the reps every time, no problem. In the former instance you're really pushing yourself and will make great progress.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The body will increase mass because of progressive overload over time, ie lifting more weight on a certain movement week after week. Providing there is energy to do this with (calorie excess)

Neither. Muscles become damaged during a workout and then your body repairs them, this can be achieved with very low reps, high reps, multiple sets, just one set all different types of approaches hence there not being one 'best' routine that everyone follows.

I know you didn't want your current routine brought into it but assuming you are training for weight loss then spending however long doing 8x8 curls is waste of time. The burn you feel is lactic acid build up but don't confuse this with training with intensity or making the body work hard. There are plenty of exercises that would give you more bang for your buck.